Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheChiaPetFarmer
Chia Smeller

Loc: Iceland
Automated growing system
    #3008359 - 08/16/04 08:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

If you're a prolific grower with large batches, a busy working citizen, or just a downright lazy person, I've got the answer for you. Your precious mushies put out more as they thrive nothing less than optimal conditions.

After careful pondering, researching, and more pondering, I have an initial design for an automated system that will be easy to set up and operate.

The system will have two key features:

1. Ability for customization. This will allow you to set certain growing parameters for specific species or even the different growing cycles.

2. Scalability. Adding additional devices to your custom rig will be easy (fans, lights, etc.) and you can configure each device accordingly. The software will also allow you to easily add other growing chambers with each one having its own set of separate temp/humidity sensor, heater, etc. and growing parameters. Think of the possibilities...

The brains of this system will be the software, which will for each chamber:
1. Monitor the humidity and temperature sensor and activate the heater and/or a humidifying device until the desired temp and humidity levels are reached.
2. Allow customization of the desired growing parameters.
3. Activate additional devices such as fans, lights, etc. on a scheduled basis as specified by the operator (daily, hourly, etc.)

The only actual *hardwired* device of the system will be the temperature and humidity sensor. This allows the operator to choose his/her favorite heater, humidifying device, light, etc. - just plug it in, because the basic interface will be an ordinary wall outlet. It's similar to having the computer control a surge protector that the devices are plugged into. Very simple.

I have done extensive research and all you'll have to do is buy a couple of components (all available online) and download the software that I'm going to write. There will be no jerry rigging, soldering, etc. Like I said, I want this system to be universal and robust so that anyone will be able to easily buy the parts, download my software, and get it to work.

The software that I'm going to write will be released under the GNU public license. It'll be free for everyone to enjoy. :smile: 

So far the equipment costs will be around $100 (approximately).

This system won't be for everyone, it's not cheap...and you might just like the manual way of doing things. But it might be worth it for some of you.

Once this project gets rolling, I'll be asking for input on what features should be included. In the meantime, feel free to comment, criticize, etc.

Edited by TheChiaPetFarmer (08/16/04 08:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
Re: Automated growing system [Re: TheChiaPetFarmer]
    #3008366 - 08/16/04 08:35 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i use the PMP and thats plenty automated for me. what happened to key feature number 2?

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

OfflineTheChiaPetFarmer
Chia Smeller

#3008369 - 08/16/04 08:38 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

oops. mislabeled. fixed.

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
    #3008371 - 08/16/04 08:39 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

lol, ok :smile:

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

InvisiblePsyllyMe
LOST.......
Loc: Center of the Known Unive...
    #3008443 - 08/16/04 09:31 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

here is a link.......you might find interesting........

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...fpart=1&vc=

seems like a lotta work.......but if you have the geek bug......

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Automated growing system [Re: PsyllyMe]
    #3008494 - 08/16/04 10:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yeah i seen that........ way too much work for me. plus i aint got no geek bug

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

OfflineTheChiaPetFarmer
Chia Smeller

#3008509 - 08/16/04 10:14 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, he had nice rig.

But the software he wrote *only worked for his rig*. This system won't be that way - it'll allow you to control your existing heater, humidifying device, etc.

In fact you won't really have to change your setup all that much. Nice thing about this setup is that you just throw a computer in to control the devices you already have.

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
    #3008555 - 08/16/04 10:40 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

listen here buddy, i aint throwin my puter anywhere, got it?? :grin:

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

OfflineAlan
Alan
 User Gallery
Loc: Los Angeles,CA
    #3015678 - 08/17/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

check this out, a USB temp/humid sensor.

http://practsol.com/thum.htm

write some software to connect this X-10 switches for humidifier and heater, job done.

OfflineTheChiaPetFarmer
Chia Smeller

#3016824 - 08/18/04 01:57 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

That USB tem/humid sensor is pretty nifty...but not very cheap. For the price of that sensor, you can buy all the necessary stuff for a complete auto system.

The temp/humid sensor will be using the new 1-wire system and the switches to control the humidifier, heater, fan, etc. will be on an X10 system. I'd put everything on that new 1-wire system, however they don't have ready made switches/relays yet. The ones that are available require some soldering and tweaking. 

The software will be written cleanly in java (already has 1-wire and X10 libraries) and will have a pretty nifty interface that will allow you to control everything.

Everything should work out nicely.  :crazy2:

OfflineAlan
Alan
 User Gallery
    #3016849 - 08/18/04 02:06 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

whats the ETA of your system being publicly available?

OfflineTheChiaPetFarmer
Chia Smeller

#3016917 - 08/18/04 02:42 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm broke as a joke right now, and with school starting next week I'll be even more broke (art supplies ain't cheap!).  :shake: So I can't get the $100 worth of supplies right away.

Do you have an X10 system? It doesn't cost didly to write software, so I can write the software and anyone having an X10 system can test it out and use it. I can write the software in stages, so I can write the X10 part that works on a scheduled basis (input by the operator). The cheapest X10 computer interface I had in mind is the Firecracker system
(http://www.x10.com/automation/ck18a_s_ps32.html) You need the COMPUTER INTERFACE, TRANSIEVER, and 1 APPLIANCE MODULE for every device you plan to control (http://www.x10.com/automation/am466_s.html).

If anyone has an X10 system with a computer interface, let me know and I'll get crackin on the software.

OfflineAlan
Alan
 User Gallery
    #3016955 - 08/18/04 03:00 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

what about the temp and humidity monitoring? turning shit on/off a schedule aint no big deal.

OfflineTheChiaPetFarmer
Chia Smeller

#3017186 - 08/18/04 06:10 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Like I said, I won't be able to get the actual humidity/temp sensor right away cause I'm broke :tongue: I want to have it around so I can make sure everything checks out when I do write the code for it.

I can still of course write the code for the sensor, but since I won't have the actual sensor, it'll be hard to troubleshoot if things don't work out the way they are supposed to.

OfflineAlan
Alan
 User Gallery
    #3018324 - 08/18/04 12:38 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

thats what I am asking. what will they be. i would like to research them.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #3019209 - 08/18/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Awesome idea Chia! Of course, the hard part is going to be actually doing the work.

-FF

OfflineTheChiaPetFarmer
Chia Smeller

#3020078 - 08/18/04 07:34 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.ibuttonlink.com/Linkcessories.htm

The MultiSensor is nice because it will allow other 1-wire devices to be daisy chained to it (no hub needed). So scaling would indeed be easy.

The TAI8540 Sensor works nicely because you drop it in as a probe, but it won't allow you daisy chain other 1-wire devices.

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3020148 - 08/18/04 07:47 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Mushrooms like to grow and all this extra time and money could very well not be as good as you wish... 2 timers one digital one old school would be more than enough..

OfflineTheChiaPetFarmer
Chia Smeller

#3020361 - 08/18/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, but for us geeks...this is part of the fun. It's the challenge that makes it worth while. Those of us with a chemistry background contribute by sharing chemistry knowledge, same thing with hardware/software geeks. We can contribute too. :rockon:

In no way am I proclaiming this to be the supreme and only solution.
In the end, everyone has a method to their own madness. This may work for some, and may not for others.

But for those who want to perfect the growing climate of our little friends (and thereby get bigger fruits, etc.), this solution might help them do just that.  This can also be applied to strains/species (or other things people grow) that thrive under certain conditions with ittle or no fluctuations in climate.

OfflineNoeton
wonderer

Loc: Brew City
    #3020373 - 08/18/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I just want to thank you in advance for creating such a wonderful tool. Also, I would gladly test out your creation, as you said you don't have the funds available. PLEASE PM me with the plans when you finish. Ill start building and testing immediately!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds