Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor D [Re: ticktock]
    #3542149 - 12/25/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Not sure what you are exactly referring to  :confused: ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor D [Re: ragadinks]
    #3542295 - 12/25/04 02:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Way up the thread, Ragidinks posted that as being a formula for liquid media from Staments.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor D [Re: ticktock]
    #3542529 - 12/25/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, sorry it was a typo - must be 1000 milliliter of water.

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor D [Re: ragadinks]
    #3542737 - 12/25/04 07:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
Don't panic!

OfflineDongTrungHaThao
Stranger
Quorn from a bioreactor vat [Re: ragadinks]
    #3573647 - 01/02/05 11:24 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hi, those towering bioraectors are mass production of a faux meat called "Quorn" Fusarium venenatum popular in Europe.
It was recently approved for use in the USA but that may come to an end as there have been complaints. "Quorn" is not a mushroom.
True, but the complaints might not be justified: http://www.fumento.com/nutr/quornflakes.html

and the Feds say it is safe: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~rdb/opa-g091.html

I'd love to try this Quorn stuff. Sounds yummy. But I have had a bad experience with a Fusarium mold - it was sold to me as Cordyceps sinensis culture from a reputable professional culture collection - and only later did I find out that it was a Fusarium spp.

DongTrungHaThao

OfflineRandoscious_McCray
A Myth
 User Gallery
Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor Des [Re: Randoscious_McCray]
    #3840872 - 02/27/05 11:20 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I think this thread may go down as one of the more beneficial in the forum. :smile:

I am not able to get on here much, b/c of the name, but am working diligently to put together an introduction to bioreactor design.

The patents that were posted were very beneficial. In went on the US Patent Database and viewed the figures for (US Pant #6,495,XXX ?) and enjoyed visualizing the approach to different mass yields.

Does anyone here have the equivalent mycelium weight dose / mushroom dried?

DongTrungHaThao has sent me some PMs of interest.

Does the shroomery have a thread of ppl that announced they are artists (draw)?

I recently read Planetary #21 and Neurocomics (feat. Tim Leary) again, and am very impressed that this format to explaining this thread would be very beneficial.

DOSCIOUS

A Myth
 User Gallery
Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor Des [Re: Randoscious_McCray]
    #3851300 - 03/01/05 10:00 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

I am beginning a guide. Here are some images, in rough draft.

Offlinetriptamine
Navagator
Loc: SW
Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor Des [Re: 4hodmt]
    #3853991 - 03/01/05 07:05 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

I like the Karo method and a fine screen to catch the mycelium fibers idea. What would be the timing on this type of arrangement? You probably wouldn't want a continuous flow, since it might disturb the growing mycelium too much. How is this done commercially?

Triptamine

A Myth
 User Gallery
Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor Des [Re: triptamine]
    #3855044 - 03/01/05 11:34 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

See the CSTRs?

Say you receive a 12 ml spore syringe in the mail = $18 + 5 = 23

you inoculate a nutrient solution from a special sells person on Ebay = $7 + 4 = 11.

(~35 ml)

you then inoculate 35 mL x 10 = 350 mL

A Myth
 User Gallery
Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor Des [Re: triptamine]
    #3863186 - 03/03/05 03:11 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

continuous flow could be utilized Trip!

You have to calculate the washout rate.

Looking at the HRT (Hydraulic Retention Time) = Q / V (FLOW / VOLUME)

There is a factor called (G) which is the Velocity Gradient. Not sure if it has been done, but you can calculate max G, before shearing is caused in the grown mycelia. You then use the constant (G) in sizing either (a) the flow or (b) the volume.

Offlinewackytron
journeyman

#3881506 - 03/07/05 03:58 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

This is a great topic and something I've wondered about. However I worried about two key points, initial sterilization of the reactor and sterile aeration.

The initial sterilization of the reaction seems possible using industrial grade agents however they do not seem feasible for someone not in the life sciences field. What are some practical alternatives for someone without this access?

I've thought about sterile aeration of the liquid medium in two ways. First, if creating a constant supply of sterile air would be difficult building a recycling system that pumps the air back into the solution. This does not sound like the best idea since O2 would be consumed and CO2 produced, thus needing the replacement of O2 with outside sterile O2. If this method is employed you would need to filter the O2 which would leads me to another idea of sterilizing air pumped into a system. The positive pressure generated inside the reactor would prevent contamination from an exhaust port.

What methods are employed today for sterilization of air? I've found filters (ulpa) that offer 99.999% filtration of particles .1 micron. Would this be adequate? What about UV sterilization? Would the introduction of antibiotics aid in the prevention of contamination?

What are your thoughts?

A Myth
 User Gallery
Re: Growing in Liquid Medium. Using knowledge from Reactor Des [Re: wackytron]
    #3937227 - 03/18/05 06:48 PM (19 years, 5 days ago)

Initial Sterilization:

Ok guys. I took Biological Reactor design at college, and we were the most precise or sterile. Basically, the limitation of most of us, is that we have to do chemistry at home.

In lab, for glassware we would use a 3-5% Sulfuric Acid solution. Not sure exactly where one of us would grab it at, but any weak acid that basically has a pH of 3 or lower would suffice.

filtering the air to 99.999% or using UV sterilization, I believe is over doing it.

With CSTRs you have a number of reactors in series, and you plan it so that the washout rate of contaminates is higher than there maximum growth rate.

A Myth
 User Gallery
    #3938493 - 03/19/05 12:56 AM (19 years, 5 days ago)

I meant we didn't use a fume hood. The room was a lab, w/ no thru traffic. kept pretty clean.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag