Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Iraq 'ended nuclear aims in 1991'
    #2994475 - 08/12/04 04:47 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

No banned weapons have been found despite intensive searches
The head of Iraq's nuclear programme under Saddam Hussein has said Iraq destroyed its nuclear weapons programme in 1991 and never restarted it.
Jafar Dhia Jafar told the BBC sanctions and inspections worked in stopping the reconstitution of the programme.

He also said Iraq's chemical and biological weapons programmes were destroyed after the first Gulf War and never reactivated.

Mr Jafar ran Iraq's nuclear programme for nearly 25 years.

One of the most powerful arguments in the case for war on Iraq was the US and UK's claim Saddam Hussein was trying to restart his nuclear programme.

But Mr Jafar, whom the former Iraqi leader originally asked to build the country's nuclear bomb, said all nuclear development stopped in July 1991, under the orders of Saddam Hussein.

He said he was probably a few years away from producing a nuclear bomb.

However, Iraq would not have had the resources under the sanctions regime to continue the programme , he said in his first broadcast interview - aired on BBC's Newsnight programme on Wednesday night.

He added the Iraqi leader had hoped that UN sanctions would be lifted soon, adding that Iraq's strategic aims became ineffective when the US and UK became its adversaries.

"We had orders to hand over the equipment to the Republican guards," Mr Jafar said.

"And they had orders to destroy the equipment that we handed over to them."

He said that everything was destroyed, such that the programme could not be restarted at the time - and that it never restarted.

Similarly, the country's chemical and biological weapons programmes were stopped and never reactivated, he said.

"There was no capability," he said. "There was no chemical or biological or any of what are called weapons of mass destruction." Some materials were never accounted for, giving weapons inspectors reason to believe that there were still some weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

But Mr Jafar said that production figures were exaggerated, and the inspectors' estimates merely reflected the difference between existing materials and the inflated figures.

"That doesn't mean the material actually exists," he said.

However, inspectors claim that it was the evasive behaviour of Mr Jafar himself and his failure to come clean about the programme that led them to believe that Iraq had to be hiding something.

Mr Jafar also says the British government's assertion that Iraq tried to purchase uranium from Niger is false.

He said Iraq already had a supply of uranium purchased there in the 1980s.

"We had 500 tons of yellow cake [uranium] in Baghdad so why would we get more?" he said.

He says he was approached by US intelligence to defect, but was never tempted.

He thought it was important for Iraq to have a nuclear deterrent and tried to achieve this aim for patriotic reasons, he said.

He remained in Iraq, fleeing to Syria just two days before Baghdad fell to coalition forces last year.

---

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Iraq 'ended nuclear aims in 1991' [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #2994625 - 08/12/04 07:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I wonder why this guy wasnt interviewed before the war...or perhaps he was but just didnt fit very well into the pack of lies the us and uk were peddaling.

Good to see sanctions stopped the Iraqi weapons program. Although I doubt sanctions on medical equipment etc had much to do with it.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Iraq 'ended nuclear aims in 1991' [Re: GazzBut]
    #2994901 - 08/12/04 10:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

beacuse everything he says is pure truth I'm sure.

If you an iraqie, you speak the pure word of gods truth beacuse well, its trendy to hate america.

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
Re: Iraq 'ended nuclear aims in 1991' [Re: Barbi]
    #2995353 - 08/12/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think it's quite like that, the fact is that no WMD have been found in almost a year and a half of super-intense, uninhibited searching. Nor were any found by UN inspectors before the war. That makes this particular Iraqi's story much more plausable, but obviously not necessarily true.

However words by a certain American, hand picked by the GWB administration and sent to find these WMD, named David Kay add substantial weight to his claim:

"U.S. officials should give up the "delusional hope" that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction so they can move forward with reform, David Kay, who once led the U.S. hunt for banned weapons, said on Wednesday.

"I think it's most important that the president of the United States recognizes that in fact the weapons are not there," Kay told reporters after speaking at The Government Security Expo and Conference.

"It's because until you do that you will not take this fundamental reorganization of the intel community on board," he said. Officials such as acting CIA Director John McLaughlin "hold out the delusional hope that eventually you'll find weapons," Kay said.

Kay stepped down from the CIA-appointed position of chief U.S. weapons hunter in January, and said he did not believe Iraq had banned weapons when the United States invaded."

As do words spoken by a certain Briton named Tony Blair:

"We expected, I expected to find actual usable, chemical or biological weapons after we entered Iraq. But I have to accept, as the months have passed, it seems increasingly clear that at the time of invasion, Saddam did not have stockpiles of chemical or biological weapons ready to deploy."
(Tony Blair 14/07/04)

"They put exclamation marks where there had been question marks and I think that is hyping, a spin, that leads the public to the wrong conclusions." (Hans Blix - speaking on the case of the warmongers)

And a certain Dutchman (I think he's Dutch isn't he?) named Hans Blix:

"They put exclamation marks where there had been question marks and I think that is hyping, a spin, that leads the public to the wrong conclusions." (Hans Blix - speaking on the case of the warmongers)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Iraq 'ended nuclear aims in 1991' [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #2995959 - 08/12/04 04:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Pretend that John Doe goes into a bank and orders them to give him all of their money, or he will start shooting people with the gun in his backpack. The police show up and arrest him, but don't find a gun in his backpack. Gee, I guess we should let him go and pat him on the back for being a nice person and not having a gun?

It doesn't matter to me that Saddam had WMDs or not... he led the world into believing that he did. He could have cleared his name at any time by working with the UN to prove that he didn't have anything. Instead he played a cat and mouse game, underestimating the resolve (and motives) of the nuts in charge of the US, and got burned.

Don't read me wrong, I have no love of what the US did (and is doing) in Iraq. I hope that it pays off for the Iraqi people in the long run. I strongly feel that Bush misled a lied to the world about WMDs in Iraq, but I also feel that Saddam has to take blame for a very large percentage of what happened; he was no innocent.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Iraq 'ended nuclear aims in 1991' [Re: Barbi]
    #2996519 - 08/12/04 06:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Where did I say it was true?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion