Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSugarMagnolia
WecanhaveHIGHtimesifyoudontmind

Loc: Halfway between here and ...
Did I ID this Amanita correctly??
    #2990900 - 08/11/04 01:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well by using my field guide, I have narrowed it down to Amanita Flavoconia.  Although it says the veil should be whitish this veil was a soft yellow.  But it matched with all other characteristics, including the minute hairs on the gills.  I could see them with just my eyesight, not even magnafied. Hope the pics help.  I tried to take pics with what you PROS would probably need to see.  Ohhh yeah it also said the warts should be yellow and these look white to yellow.  Also to note, while I carried it back, the stem where I held it took on a really yellow tint from handling.  Though when I cut it it did not change color inside.  It stayed white on the inside. Well I hope that I came up with the right ID. :smile: Thanks for helping such novices, I really appreciate you guys and the help you are willing to give.  And before anyone tells me NOT to eat it, don't worry, I'm not that dumb!  I am more into just hunting and identifying.  I like finding the Actives though because they are some of the most beautiful.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSugarMagnolia

Re: Did I ID this Amanita correctly?? [Re: SugarMagnolia]
    #2990982 - 08/11/04 01:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well, in researching I have found some links to Amanita Flavoconia pictures and Amanita Muscaria var. Formosa pictures.  It appears to look more like Formosa but I am not an expert soooo it seems I did not ID it correctly. :frown:  The last two pictures are from species found in my State so that is why I think I am wrong. Happy Hunting To All!

http://www.owlspleasure.com/sculpture/mushrooms/Amanita%20muscaria.JPG

http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/images/kaminski/kaminski_amanita_muscaria_formosa.jpg
http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/images/nadon/nadon_amanita_muscaria_formosa_01.jpg
Peace Love and Shroominess!

Edited by SugarMagnolia (08/11/04 01:58 PM)

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #2991099 - 08/11/04 02:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It appears to be A. Muscaria var. formosa...
You left out one of the most important details
on your pictures.. The firm basal bulb and concentric
circles above it.. And the white spore print.. If I had to
wager I would
ID your specimen as a. muscaria var. formosa...
I am not a gambling man..

I'm no pro!! I do have experience ID'ing this species
last year and this. I never ingested them myself so
I have no input on the edibility/effects of it... Good luck hunting
Nofindum......

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

InvisibleSugarMagnolia

Re: Did I ID this Amanita correctly?? [Re: nofind_um]
    #2991156 - 08/11/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks NoFind-Ummmmmm, :smile:, yes after the post I checked for pics and variances between them both, and I am leaning toward the Formosa also.  I thought the Flavoconia, simply because the stalk turned a little yellow, but in researching the Flavoconia, it seemed they all had really yellow warts and yellow stalks, and the caps more orange than yellow.  This is the fourth on found since yesterday, the two I found yesterday were really yellow caps and bright white stems, yet the slugs had feasted on them so bad the caps fell off immature.  Sorry about leaving off the bulb, I can only upload 400 kb's and was at my limit, or close to it.  The bulb was very white and it had maybe two rings above it.  Thanks for all the help.  Oh just out of curiosity, why are you not really interested in trying them?  I'm just wondering because it seems like everyone is so against using them even if properly ID'd. Is the experience that unpleasant? Thanks again NoFind_Um!
Peace love and Shroominess!

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2991173 - 08/11/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, they appear to be Amanita muscaria var. formosa
-or possibly even another variant to that.

honestly ive never found muscaria before myself, and am not very confident about my skills in ID'ing Amanita mushrooms yet.

so take my advise on your shrooms with a grain of salt

GG

InvisibleSugarMagnolia

Re: Did I ID this Amanita correctly?? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2991251 - 08/11/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks GGreatOne, I will be sure to wait for an Amanita Experts view also, but I think we are all on the right track. I did find a species called Amanita muscaria var. guessowii and the link to it is:
http://pluto.njcc.com/~ret/amanita/species/muscgues.html

According to Amanita expert Rodham Tulloss (2003), the correct name for the variant described above is Amanita muscaria var. guessowii; so he must know that their is a varient to it and you are probably right GGreatOne! Thanks you guys for helping me work on my ID skillz!
Peace Love and Shroominess!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2991296 - 08/11/04 03:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Identifying the yellow to tan colored Amanitas is difficult because there are so many of them.

Yellow bruising is not a characteristic of any of the varieties or subspecies of Amanita muscaria, so your mention of that feature makes me cautious.

The usual macroscopic feature for verifying the species is the volva, which you didn't provide a good photograph of, which typically forms several parallel rings near the base of the stem. Often specimens will form only one ring at the top of the basal bulb, causing the specimen to resemble one of the species close to A. pantherina.

Certainly your specimen is close in appearance to A. muscaria.

Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleSugarMagnolia

Re: Did I ID this Amanita correctly?? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2991367 - 08/11/04 03:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I do have a pic of the bulb but its over 100kb and I don't have enough room to upload it today. The bulb I did have to dig up, was completely white and had 2 rings around the top of the bulb. Bruising I guess was the wrong term to use because I just looked at it again and there has been no other change in color, I think that because the stalk was slightly viscid it turned a buff light cream color where my fingers touched it. I did give it a good squeeze and no real change occured, could it have been from the veil fragments? So we still aren't sure huh? I think it is close to A. Muscaria also. Thanks Guys!!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification