Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroom_a_lope
Stranger
Amanitas Identification
    #2926982 - 07/25/04 09:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I need to get some identification going on these amanitas my friend found... :mushroom2:

I was also wondering about smokeing aminitas... does it really work?  how would one go about doing this?  and is it worth it.  THanks all

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Amanitas Identification [Re: Shroom_a_lope]
    #2927065 - 07/25/04 10:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It appears to be Amanita muscaria var. muscaria. However, not knowing what region of the world in which this was picked also leaves questions. The A. muscaria var. muscaria that can be found native in the United States is reported not to poses the same qualities as its Siberian relative, it is generaly considered inedible, and poisonous.

As for smoking it, or otherwise ingesting it, I believe any information on that can be found in the sites faq section. Also, do not, I say again, do not take my opinion as a definitive identification.

Now, as for the one that you didn't ask about, in the upper picture, that's what caught my eye. Those two little purple mushrooms sitting beside the Amanita, I believe they just might be Laccaria amethystina, but again, I can't be positive, though I would bet you a dollar on it :smile:. I am unaware of it's edibility, and recommend that you do not consume it.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #2927087 - 07/25/04 10:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The big red one looks like it might hold possibilities, but the other is completly unidentifiable, and should not be eaten as it may kill you.

I have my dobts about the big red one because of the yellow stem. This one also may be poisonous. You have not provided enough info even to positively ID to Amanita. take a spore print and take a close up phot of the gills. We can work from there.

Please read.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Re: Amanitas Identification [Re: shroomydan]
    #2927101 - 07/25/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

GUys, there is no other purple shroom, it's simply the bulb split in half! LoL

Anonymous

Re: Amanitas Identification [Re: shroomydan]
    #2927112 - 07/25/04 10:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

shroomydan, I believe you are correct. I overlooked the yellow tint to the veil. It could very well also be A. muscaria var. flavivolvata. A common poisonous N. American look-alike.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2927373 - 07/26/04 12:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

While it's obvious that they are Amanitas, the species is not possible to determine from those photos. If I had to guess, I would lean toward Amanita parcivolvata, which is similar in appearance to A. muscaria, but lacks a ring. It is of unknown edibility. It is a very common species in the southeastern US.

Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: Amanitas Identification [Re: MAGnum]
    #2927686 - 07/26/04 02:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MAGnum said:
GUys, there is no other purple shroom, it's simply the bulb split in half! LoL

Well if you actually looked in the first picture under the Amanita there are two little purple mushrooms. Your eyes ok? Hehe jokin man.

Peace

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanitas Identification [Re: ]
    #2927789 - 07/26/04 03:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

those do not look to be A. muscaria muscaria at all. i realy with people wouldn't try to give id's on *any* Amanitas when they are not very sure.

contrary to popular belief, A. muscaria is not the only species of red capped amanita; moreover, A. muscaria var muscaria does not have yellow flesh nor does it have flesh which readily bruises/ages yellow [in this species, it is Amanita muscaria var flavivolvata wich does so].

All Amanita muscaria variants have a bulbous, non cup-like, multiple concentric-ringed stipe base [often broken to give the impression of scales] by character and will always have a ring unless environmental factors have caused it to somehow come free [annulus tends to be friable].

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineneomushy
Stranger
Re: Amanitas Identification [Re: canid]
    #2928053 - 07/26/04 10:13 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys, thats the aminita I found, and he posted this for me because I'm having some shroomery difficulties.

My friend and I just smoked 3 bowls of this aminita, skin and mushroom. Now we are worried after hearing these replies, my friend assurred me that all red polkadotted aminitas were not poisoness.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
    #2928077 - 07/26/04 10:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

amnita parcivolvata- that is what you have- and I have eaten them before and they are not psychoactive- they come out under the oaks here all the time in NC.  Fucking with "polkadotted mushrooms", despite my confession, is fucking stupid.  This mushrooms can  be singled out for its obviously yellowed stem and smoking it is retarded.  I hope you didn't eat any of those- they made me puke and have projectile diareah.  Rock on! :sick:

- A side note for anyone else- these mushrooms pictured, you will notice have a very unfirm dark red cap and very small warts- this is another good way to single out the parcivolvata.  The red of the cap is almost unistakable- they also don't get much less conical than that.  Very important to note the yellowish color of the gills as well.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Anonymous

Re: Amanitas Identification [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2929124 - 07/26/04 05:16 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

ToxicMan, and superblingtheory, your both absolutely right. I guess I got a little over excited with a few decent id's. At least I didn't claim that I was positive :smile:. I see what you were saying ToxicMan, humility is easily learned when you make a guess and someone else comes along and totally proves you wrong.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification