Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJon
Hobby insecurities (probably my own lack of patience.)
    #2944896 - 07/30/04 03:16 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

After a brief standstill, I tried again with BRF cakes and made 2 pint and 1 1/2 pint PF style. I didnt tape the holes like an idiot and just covered it with a coffee filter sprayed with water and h2o2 solution. Theres not much to explain that failure except brain failure. But now I have 2 pint and 1 quart jars spawned spawned with what was supposedly supposed to be an effective mixture. Pasteurized Straw and Birdseed, pints injected with Nepal chitwan spores and the quart jar with golden teacher, both injected with adequate amounts, not so much to saturate and screw myself due to my ignorance (which is possible) I used the polyfill filter thing for the quart jar and I have them in a ghetto incubator using the 2 rubbermaid tek but instead of using a fish tank heater, a heating pad. I seem to have the jars around 80F but the upper part slightly cool from being relatively close to the airconditioner vent (contams?). Well its been about a week and theres no signs of growth, but neither do I remember the usual growth patter with P. Cubensis Mycelium. Is there any changes I should make? My goal is to make this project fool proof. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Hobby insecurities (probably my own lack of patience.) [Re: Jon]
    #2945732 - 07/30/04 06:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Normally coffee filters work fine, I love using them as filters. I use 3 layers though. The advantage is that it will allow a bit of ventilation. My advice is too use rye next time lol. Just joking, keep waiting and if in another few days your medium isn't showing growth open a jar up and smell. If its contaminated you'll know, your body will want to retch. My second piece of advice is not to worry too much, right now you only have about a week lost time even if you have to toss the jars. I have found that if bacteria has indeed made its way into the jars it will stiffle any mycelium growth. Ironically, later on mycelium seem to fight off bacterium very well. I think its all about who colonizes first. The problem with straw and birdseed is that its hard to shake the jar and look for growth. Good luck man, but making any plan fool proof is a plan for a fool.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Offlinekitteh
yeehaw

Loc: SC
    #2945847 - 07/30/04 07:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

For your first grow it would probally be best to try PF tek to the book.
I`ve did everything by the book and now i have some pins forming.

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Loc: somewhere in Texas
Re: Hobby insecurities (probably my own lack of patience.) [Re: kitteh]
    #2946132 - 07/30/04 09:06 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yea, my friend did the PF tek and he has 2 flushs already.

--------------------
I wanna cross The Rainbow Bridge, and see my fathers in The Golden Hall. They beckon me, to join their feast. In my dreams, I hear their call.

OfflineJon
Re: Hobby insecurities (probably my own lack of patience.) [Re: PaintedDeath]
    #2946528 - 07/30/04 11:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This is my 3rd grow, PF tek is great but I have problems following directions because of minor technicalities manifesting into future problems. But thats been adapted, it would help to hear when certain substrates usually show growth under an ~~80F growth parameter.

OfflineJon
    #2948029 - 07/31/04 12:05 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I also discovered that a certain setting on my heating pad caused the bottom of the cakes to dry up. What to do?

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #2948616 - 07/31/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Jon said:
But now I have 2 pint and 1 quart jars spawned spawned with what was supposedly supposed to be an effective mixture. Pasteurized Straw and Birdseed

Pasteurized bird seed is NOT an effective mixture as you put it. Grains carry endospores which will survive boiling, never mind pasteurizing.

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation