Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: redgreenvines]
    #29363931 -

redgreenvines said:
Cory Duchesne said:
...Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around....



sounds like Marvel Comic Book fantasy.




Terence loved his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And probably other comics.

Quote:
aquatic algae evolved from photosynthetic bacteria over a billion years ago
and The first land plants emerged much later, around 470–500 million years ago, during the Ordovician period - small animals already existed (like worms, flatworms, etc.)
Plants did not invent animals, but evolved fruit and seeds which gained benefit from animal distribution.
Later angiosperms and pollinating animals developed together just over 130 million years ago...

TM is a poor substitute for a factual encyclopedia.



Okay, so, TM is maybe a little loose with this thinking. The animal distribution of seed drove the evolution, so he's not completely wrong. An encyclopedia would have been beneficial to me when I was younger, and now, but I believe the tendency to create heroes, role models and cultural icons gets in the way of the much more dry and humble act of using an encyclopedia. 

I can recall being introduced to masculine and feminine concepts, and how my neighbor-friend (a guy my age) bragged his Mom was extra masculine, and he was in that way, superior or at an advantage, and it didn't sit well with me. I must have had an envy-attack or something. I found it offensive.

On the other hand, there's nothing offensive about an encyclopedia and the facts therein.  It's just when people make claims about their superior masculine genetics that I get a bee in my bonnet.

Edited by Cory Duchesne (10/04/25 04:28 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: sudly]
    #29363932 -

Quote:
All i can say to that is that i dont see women in any way as carriers of children, its just personal preference, but I think it takes a lot of pressure off.




I've always been the same way, but surprisingly, many women do want to get married and have children.  I noticed guys like Bill Maher are now labeled as the "creepy bachelor".  As if, not wanting children and just wanting female companionship is some kind of negative trait.

We can't underestimate how badly women want children, family and friends. A lot of them, they simply want the whole package. Marriage, children, dog, house, friends. And the money to pay the bill.  It's a huge responsibility.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Cory Duchesne]
    #29363948 -

I get that plenty of women do want marriage and children, all im trying to say, is that I think its important to know what you want, and to try and understand what people you involve yourself with want too, because I think that's a huge part of making the foundation to compatability.

You can have chemistry with someone who has a want of raising a family of their own, or getting married, but I think theres more compatability when people want the same or similar enough things.

Sharing more similar values might represent more compatability I suppose.


--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: sudly]
    #29363978 -

I want, more than anything, to not be wrong. I don't necessarily want to be right, but going around knowing something that just aint so, is not my idea of a good time.

I might be a low grade moron because when it comes to making idols of people who talk in a way the sounds good, I get bamboozled. 

β€œMuch of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good.” -- Thomas Sowell

Terence McKenna sounds good, at times. He says exciting, interesting things. But as redgreenvines points out, sometimes, it just aint so.

I guess you could say I'm easily bamboozled. I want to change on the inside, to be better than what I am, but after 45 years of living, I'm afraid I'm stuck with what I've got. My endocrine system and brain and body, I didn't choose it. I didn't want it.  But that's mostly me.  Therapy hasn't worked for me, the medical professionals just give excuses for why things aren't working well, terms like executive dysfunction, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder. These aren't solutions, they are insurmountable problems. We've got no cure for these things.

I focus on the necessities and certainties of life, and not on the wants.  Food, clothes (shoes), shelter, cleaning supplies, garbage. These necessities create coherence and are logical. 

Sex is one of those things that happens on it's own when the time is ripe. The times in my life where I had access to a lady in that way, I didn't necessarily want it or choose it, it just happened to me, because the causation just so happened to work in my favor. I don't believe that wishing or wanting has much to do with anything. There has to be some simple luck, a certain karma has to be operating. 

I remember my first lady friend, she wanted to have sex mainly because her friends were doing it. Her desires sprung up from what the people around her were doing. It really is a herd-instinct that drives people. 

And once you see through it, some things cannot be unseen...

I have no problem. I will eventually die. Between now and then, I live on the best terms I can with people. Most relationships are non-sexual, it's service, it's business, it's charity, it's a mix. I cope, I don't hope.

Edited by Cory Duchesne (10/04/25 06:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Cory Duchesne]
    #29363993 -

maybe go to a zen center one day per week and help them sweep - give your history a break from replay and ennui.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: redgreenvines] * 1
    #29364005 -

Yeah, my apartment I live in is a zen centre. I do a lot of sweeping and washing my dishes, it's a minimalist environment. I don't believe the town I live in has any zen or buddhist centres, it's an old fashioned town, lots of Christian churches. I cannot relate well with Christianity or Catholicism, and that's the predominate strain here.

I really have no problem. Other people have complained about me in the past, saying things about me, but it's their problem, not mine. 

I stay out of harms way.  My ears always prick up when people mention Schopenhauer, because I used to spend a lot of time in an old used book store in Halifax, and there was always lots of Schopenhauer books there, cheap and readily available. Easy to read. I came to see Schopenhauer as that book or person that many have read, but nobody wants in their home. So all his books just end up in the used book store. 

"to make yourself cheap: you will be glad to avoid the society of people whose only possible point of contact with you is just that part of your nature of which you have least reason to be proud." A.S.

Edited by Cory Duchesne (10/04/25 07:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Cory Duchesne]
    #29364010 -

what town is it?


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: redgreenvines]
    #29364026 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Cory Duchesne]
    #29364046 -



--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #29364193 -

If you want to be a monk drive on. I'd rather be a monk that likes women...


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #29364200 -

you can prob meet a nice lady at a zen center


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: redgreenvines]
    #29364736 -

Having a mate and wife is cool..

But exclusive sexuality is a fallacy in my opinion..

Men will always be attracted to multiple women,

Woman will always be attracted to multiple men!

But the nuclear family idea is cool as well..


--------------------
Thank you for your Time...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: BrendanFlock]
    #29364864 -

attracted yes, but by not compulsively pursuing additional attractions, that is where the pledged troth is held.

this restraint is in honor of the agreement that marriage proposes.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Cory Duchesne]
    #29365614 -

Do you want a friendship, a relationship, a partner, a girlfriend, a family, marriage, something platonic, sensual, intense, casual, independent, codependent?


--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: sudly]
    #29365667 -

I am almost certain I limit my needs to food, clothes, water, shelter, cleaning supplies, waste disposal, even that dreaded institution, banking. Intensity is not the same as intimacy.

I just made an appointment with the hairdresser, hair and beard trim, so I get some human contact with a lady for about 20 minutes.

Twenty, Tao Te Ching:

Give up learning, and put an end to your troubles.

Is there a difference between yes and no?
Is there a difference between good and evil?
Must I fear what others fear? What nonsense!
Other people are contented, enjoying the sacrificial feast of the ox.
In spring some go to the park, and climb the terrace,
But I alone am drifting, not knowing where I am.
Like a newborn babe before it learns to smile,
I am alone, without a place to go.

Others have more than they need, but I alone have nothing.
I am a fool. Oh, yes! I am confused.
Others are clear and bright,
But I alone am dim and weak.
Others are sharp and clever,
But I alone am dull and stupid.
Oh, I drift like the waves of the sea,
Without direction, like the restless wind.
Everyone else is busy,
But I alone am aimless and depressed.
I am different.
I am nourished by the great mother.

Forty-six, Tao Te Ching
There is no greater sin than desire,
No greater curse than discontent,
No greater misfortune than wanting something for oneself.
Therefore he who knows that enough is enough will always have enough.

Edited by Cory Duchesne (10/06/25 07:46 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: sudly]
    #29365682 -

"The natural needs of a human being are basic: food, clothing and shelter. You must either work for them or be given them by somebody. If these are your only needs, they are not very difficult to fulfill. To deny yourself the basic needs is not a sign of spirituality; but to require more than food, clothing and shelter is a neurotic state of mind.

Sex is dependent upon thought; the body itself has no sex. Only the genitals and perhaps the hormone balances differ between male and female. It is thought that says "I am a man, and that is a woman, an attractive woman." It is thought that translates sex feelings in the body and says "These are sexual feelings." And it is thought that provides the build-up without which no sex is possible: "It would be more pleasurable to hold that woman's hand than just to look at her. And sex is tremendously violent to the body. The body normally is a very peaceful organism, and then you subject it to this tremendous tension and release, which feels pleasurable to you. Actually it is painful to the body."

U.G. Krishnamurti: The Mystique of Enlightenment


I would add, sex, to the illusionary psychological self, is also painful.

Sex happens generally during that ripe age of 17-35.  For some, they secure more of the experience later into life. It varies from individual to individual. 

I always keep a box of condoms, just in case, but it's an emergency situation, sex. It implies something unstable and intense, and not necessarily intimate.

Due to health issues, I won't be having children. So who cares about sex?  At a certain time of life, it comes relatively easy. When it becomes too difficult, why hold on to it?  We know it's primarily for reproduction, that's what it's there for.  We tell ourselves it's for recreation, but I see no evidence that it is really that enjoyable.

Edited by Cory Duchesne (10/06/25 08:03 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Cory Duchesne]
    #29365714 -

I don't agree that thought provides the build-up but much of that is reasonable in context. What is helpfully proscribed for the old doesn't necessarily hold true for the young.

Don't treat young people like they're old and don't treat old people like they're young.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Cory Duchesne]
    #29365722 -

Cory Duchesne said:
I am almost certain I limit my needs to food, clothes, water, shelter, cleaning supplies, waste disposal, even that dreaded institution, banking. Intensity is not the same as intimacy.

I just made an appointment with the hairdresser, hair and beard trim, so I get some human contact with a lady for about 20 minutes.

Twenty, Tao Te Ching:

Give up learning, and put an end to your troubles.

Is there a difference between yes and no?
Is there a difference between good and evil?
Must I fear what others fear? What nonsense!
Other people are contented, enjoying the sacrificial feast of the ox.
In spring some go to the park, and climb the terrace,
But I alone am drifting, not knowing where I am.
Like a newborn babe before it learns to smile,
I am alone, without a place to go.

Others have more than they need, but I alone have nothing.
I am a fool. Oh, yes! I am confused.
Others are clear and bright,
But I alone am dim and weak.
Others are sharp and clever,
But I alone am dull and stupid.
Oh, I drift like the waves of the sea,
Without direction, like the restless wind.
Everyone else is busy,
But I alone am aimless and depressed.
I am different.
I am nourished by the great mother.

Forty-six, Tao Te Ching
There is no greater sin than desire,
No greater curse than discontent,
No greater misfortune than wanting something for oneself.
Therefore he who knows that enough is enough will always have enough.



from https://www.taoistic.com/taoteching-laotzu/taoteching-20.htm
Quote:
He watches people enjoy themselves in their ignorance, while he is unattached. Therefore, his soul finds no immediate gratification.

      The personal tone has made researchers question the authenticity of this and similar parts of the book.



I agree that this section appears to lack the integrity of the rest of the Ching, it could just be the translations, but it could be that a copyist has added his or her own romantic notions of separateness and ennui.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Cory Duchesne]
    #29366195 -

There is something quietly powerful in simply listening, in offering space without the need to fix, analyse, or steer. Validation can be an act of respect, a way of saying, I hear you, and your experience matters.

I have come to feel that relationships, whether with friends, partners, or anyone close, can add happiness to life, but they are not its only source. When they end or change, meaning does not disappear. We continue, sometimes uncertain, sometimes steady, still finding our own rhythm.

Even in the in between, we still carry our own wholeness, not as perfection, but as the quiet possibility of being complete in ourselves. Happiness may come and go, but the capacity for it remains within reach.

I value the principle of not wanting to change anyone. People deserve the freedom to be themselves, to grow, to move, to unfold, without someone else’s version of who they should be. That freedom keeps connection genuine, even when it shifts or fades.

I admire those who move through life to the rhythm of their own beat, those who notice small things, who stay curious, who live with presence and appreciation. It is not about sameness, but about recognising shared values: respect, authenticity, and the quiet joy of noticing what is real.


--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Arthur Schopenhauer and Men Seeing thru the Illusion of Sex [Re: Cory Duchesne] * 1
    #29366201 -

All I can say otherwise is to share what my own want is, and to say that two wants can manifest one another. Sometimes holding a want, having boundaries, and being able to compromise within your valued boundaries, if shared, can manifest.

Quote:
It's like I wanted a girlfriend, who could become a partner, but who was a girlfriend. I want a friend who's a girlfriend, but that doesn't mean I need a partner.



Maybe some of the layered beauty behind facing storms of letting go, is having held on.

Wanting beginnings, and understanding endings, where gratitude circles back.

Maybe in closed loops, maybe in close loops. Maybe a bit of both.


--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.


Edited by sudly (10/06/25 07:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* 38 Ways To Win An Argument by Arthur Schopenhauer deimya 842 11 10/11/25 07:47 AM
by Moses_Davidson
* society and sex
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 3,767 26 11/04/04 01:36 PM
by Anonymous
* Back to... Schopenhauer's metaphysics pt. 2 *DELETED*
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Lakefingers 3,394 68 12/14/09 08:33 PM
by blubruz
* Schopenhauer's metaphysics *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
Lakefingers 1,795 33 07/20/09 03:55 PM
by OrgoneConclusion
* Grand Illusion Positronius 1,192 13 12/03/03 09:25 PM
by Panoramix
* Illusions
( 1 2 all )
spudamore 1,906 20 03/31/05 11:03 PM
by Psychoactive1984
* Reality and illusions and so forth... Sclorch 2,808 15 06/24/02 12:32 PM
by Sclorch
* magic sex people whatisinmypocket 2,107 11 02/21/02 09:56 PM
by Axiom420

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
759 topic views. 0 members, 20 guests and 25 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.