Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Red-pored Boletus of Florida
    #2931629 - 07/27/04 09:29 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This morning I found a large colony (about 20 mushrooms or more) of a red-spored boletus under mostly Live Oak. I am debating its identity between three species, but mostly between 2 of those 3: Boletus floridanus and B. flammans. The third species, being a less probably match, is B. rubroflammeus. From http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/boletus_02.html I found out that this last species has been found mostly from "New England to Michigan to Tennessee," not the Southeast.

Here is a description of my find:

Pileus: 5-12 cm in diameter, dull brick-red to vinaceous red, flesh staining blue quickly and finally turning gray, original flesh color is light yellow to buff, not viscid, in young specimens margin extending and wavy

Tubes: yellow in color, pore mouths initially pale-red, turning orange-pink, and perfectly mustard-yellow in old age, pores becoming "folded" in old age, "valleys" formed on the pore surface, staining blue quickly, tubes less than half of cap thickness, depressed around the stipe in young age.

Stipe: even to slightly thickened at the base, usually curved slightly at mid-length and into the ground, ~1.5 X 5-7 cm, mostly red with yellow splotches, yellow at the extreme apex, distinctly reticulate (red) for at least 1/3 of stipe length, becoming scurfy on lower half (not floccose), rougher, brownish-yellow at base.

Here are some pictures:

A group.

Small specimen

In this last picture, notice the yellow liquid beads on the pores. This is a distinctive feature of B. frostii. That species is usually much darker red-colored (on all parts) and has a coarsely-reticulate stalk. Its cap is also viscid, which is not the case with these specimens. Arora lists B. flammans and B. rubroflammeus in the "comments" section under B. frostii, stating that those two specimens are not visicd, are finely to scarcely reticulate and are poisonous.

Using Kimbrough's "Common Florida Mushrooms," the specimen keyed out to be B. floridanus because of my specimens strongly-reticulate stipe. What does not match is the very intense red coloring attributed to it and its growth under evergreen oaks, although this second feature may be a frivolous identification tool.

I could not find any distinguished descriptions of B. rubroflammeus nor of B. flammans.

Thank you for the help in advance.

Edited by MagmaManiac (07/30/04 09:23 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Red-spored Boletus of Florida [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #2932747 - 07/27/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Keying it out (and reading the similar species) in Bessette, et. al.'s North American Boletes, it appears to be Boletus floridanus. The description in that book matches your specimens fairly well. It even mentions the unusual feature you described of being often beaded with yellow drops on the tubes when young and fresh, which appears to be one of the more useful characteristics for identifying them (at least when young and fresh). The red colors of various features feature prominently in the description in the book, as does the fruiting habit "scattered or in groups in sandy soil under oaks".

In the book they state that the cap is viscid when wet. You might try wetting your fingertip with a drop of water and rubbing the cap surface a little to see if it becomes viscid.

They list it as "edible with a somewhat acidic taste".

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Red-spored Boletus of Florida [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2934411 - 07/27/04 11:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you, ToxicMan, I was also leaning slightly more to that species. The only detail that held back my total conviction was the prevalence of yellow droplets, which is attributed to B. frostii and the mushrooms listed in the "Comments" section of that species in Aurora's Mushrooms Demystified. Perhaps I should consider purchasing that book.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification