Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Boletus from Florida, ID please
    #2944326 - 07/30/04 01:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I will proceed to post a quick description and some pictures. I have no idea what this could be. I was looking at B. pallidus but this specimen has NO staining at all and varies somewhat in spore/pore color. It also lacks a noticable sterile margin. Descriptions of B. pallidus can be found at: http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/boletus_pallidus.html and http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/page...ge;seq=00000312

Pileus: 7-13 cm in diameter, pale tan to pale brown, matte, becoming moderately aerolate in age, especially around the margins, somewhat tacky when moist but not viscid or sticky, very smooth, convex to plane, margin fairly even

Tubes: yellow-green, 1-1.5 cm deep, non-bruising, adnate, not subdecurrent,.

Pores: olive-yellow with dark brown/black splotches at the tube mouths, unstaining

Flesh: white to slightly yellow-tinged near the tubes, taste mild, smell more pungent in the stipe, pleasantly sharp boletus smell, NOT staining whatsoever, relatively soft in comparison to other Bol., especially in the cap, cap NOT maggot-infested, surprisingly, even in several older specimens

Stipe: attached to pores, 5-7.5 cm X 1.5-2.5 cm, the shorter the thicker, tapering upward and slightly enlargedat apex (an hour-glass stipe figure), white/pallid with brown streak running down in young specimens, older specimens with very delicate reticulation, especially at the apex, but in some cases even in the middle of the stipe, in young specimen barely noticable to nonexistant reticulation at the apex, white mycelium at base, light brown streaks usually present and giving a fibrous appearance to the stipe.

Spores evidently dark olive-brown, I will give the exact coloration upon spilling them on paper.

Habitat: In a small brush/forest area under evergreen oak, probably laurel, growing around one tree in a group of about 25 specimens. I found these last year in a group of only about 5 (about this time of year). Not cespitose in most cases, growing singularly but ultra gregariously.

Pictures:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Boletus from Florida, ID please [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #2945103 - 07/30/04 04:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is probably not the advise your looking for, but when it comes to boletes if they are not red and yellow, and they don't bruise  blue, and they taste good, then I eat them.  :grin:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2945417 - 07/30/04 05:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

A few features Dr Bessette uses in his keys for Boletus that we need to know are:

What color are the tubes at first, when the mushroom is very young? It should be from White or Gray; Yellow; or Red, Orange, Maroon, Brown, or Black.

If you bruise the pore surface, does it stain a different color, or is it unchanging or merely intensifying in color? If it stains, does it do so quickly (within a few seconds) or slowly? Of course the color it stains is important, and some change later to a different color and that's important, too.

How much of the stipe does the reticulation cover - half or more, or only present at the apex? Of course, in some species there is no reticulation at all.

I know you already answered some of those questions above, but I thought I'd let you know what some of the more important questions asked in the keys are. Right now the important one is the color of the pore surface when the mushroom is young.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Boletus from Florida, ID please [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2945716 - 07/30/04 06:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The tubes in very young specimens are WHITE, as you can see in the picture below.

The flesh does not stain at all, even after prolonged exposure. The pores merely intensify in color when they are touched.

In this particular young specimen, which I found buried under some leaves that were colored very similarly to the cap, the white reticulation extends to about 1/3 of the length of the stipe. The stipe is also less brown than older specimens.

This particular specimen reminds of B. edulis, in spite of the light color of the cap. The smaller button has a slightly darker cap, but is still very matte, even when wet. This photo makes the cap color appear somewhat darker than in reality.

Is there an online version of Dr. Bassette's key?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2945934 - 07/30/04 07:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Those look to be Boletus albisulphureus, an edible species found infrequently in sandy soil under oak. They range geographically from the east coast to Mississippi and Texas.

Similar species include Xanthoconium stramineum (=Boletus stramineus) which lacks reticulation on the stipe and Tylopilus peralbidus which also lacks reticulation on the stipe and also lacks a yellow coloration to the pore surface in older specimens.

I'm unaware of any versions of his keys online. They are the best ones I know of right now.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Boletus from Florida, ID please [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2946232 - 07/30/04 09:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks a lot ToxicMan. This is definately a possibility, excepting that on http://www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/boletus_08.html the description includes yellowing at the apex of the stipe. This is not so with my specimens. The cap also appears darker than white to grayish white. It is more dingy brown to tan-gray, but this is not so big of a difference

Regarding Xanthoconium stramineum (=Boletus stramineus), the cap is said to "mature to dingy buff." These caps do not appear to change color noticably, or, on the contrary, they lighten in age. I also believe that the stipe is more than barely reticulate.

The spore print is DARK brown and slightly olivaceous. The latter coloring is not conspicuously visible. But I believe the spore print is entirely to dark brown for this specimen to belong to Gyroporus.

I suppose the only sure way to identify this specimen is through the microscope. ToxicMan, would you say it would be safe to try these mushrooms sauteed? I, of course, would prefer to first identify them exactly to species, but I see no danger of toxicity here. Am I wrong?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2946724 - 07/31/04 12:43 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

One of the nice aspects of boletes is that they are among the safest mushrooms for eating. All of the poisonous species of bolete (in North America, anyway) bruise blue, have red or orange tubes or tube mouths, or both. There are still a few species not covered by that rule that are inedible because of flavor (bitter, peppery).

So if a tiny piece doesn't taste unpalatable, give them a try. Let us know if they're worth hunting.

Happy mushroming!

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2946857 - 07/31/04 01:38 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The web-like structure in the flesh of the stem near the cap on your last picture reminds me of the texture of B. edulis.

Interesting find!

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#2946917 - 07/31/04 02:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There were a bunch of "Red-Cracked Bolets" flushing in my urban area last week.

I actually tried one out but didn't swallow it for fear it could be at least mildly toxic. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I didn't realize it till I did more research on boletes. I wish I swollowed it!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Boletus from Florida, ID please [Re: MAGnum]
    #2947838 - 07/31/04 10:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2973697 - 08/06/04 10:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

By the way, these mushrooms were very tasty, especially in relation to my experience with the taste of other Florida edibles I've found.

They were soft and had a pleasant wild boletus taste and odor. These were not that strong but still significant even when sauteed with sausage!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification