Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Useful Information for Florida shroomers
    #2636607 - 05/04/04 11:45 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Here is the Preface to the book Common Florida Mushrooms by James Kimbrough:

#######################################

"Preface

The inland regions of the southeastern U.S. were settled by a mixture of Scotch-Irish, Highland Scots, and a few Anglos and Germans. In general, these settlers and their descendants had a great aversion to mushrooms. The mycophobia of the Anglo-Saxons is widely known and dates back a few centuries (Baker, 1990). Florida differs from other areas of the Southeast, however, in that it has had a highly varied population of ethnic groups all along, due to the rapid influx of people along the coastal areas. This trend continues as more and more people migrate to the sunbelt. Today, Floridians have a keen interest in mushrooms and other fleshy fungi for food and for recreational use.

While serving as extension mycologist at the University of Florida for almost 36 years, more than 75% of my requests have been for the identification of poisonous and edible mushrooms, or the instructions for cultivating them. Learning to identify Florida mushrooms has not been an easy task since it is believed that more kinds of mushrooms occur in the southeastern U.S. than in other areas of comparable size. The plant flora of Florida is a rich mixture of temperate and tropical species which support a great variety of both saprobic and ectomycorrhizal mushrooms. There are estimates that between 3,000 to 5,000 species of mushrooms occur in the South. Nearly 1,000 species have been described as new species from Florida, almost exclusively through the efforts of Dr. W. A. Murrill.

Murrill, as he was fondly called around Gainesville, developed a keen interest in mushrooms from Dr. George F. Atkinson at Cornell University, where he received his Ph.D. in 1900. Four years later Murrill became Assistant Curator of the New York Botanical Garden, where he was in charge of the cryptogamic collections. During his 20-year tenure at the Garden, he traveled extensively throughout the U.S., including Florida, and in various European and South American countries. He collected extensively in these countries, identifying nearly 75,000 fungi, 1,700 of which he considered new species. Battling physical exhaustion, medical and financial problems, and depression, Murrill resigned from the Garden in 1924. Before leaving the Garden, Murrill visited Florida in 1923, collecting mushrooms and plants in various coastal and inland cities. During these excursions, he was accompanied by D. Fairchild, C. Deering, and H. C. Beardslee. After leaving the Garden, he went into semi-seclusion at a homeplace near Staunton, VA.

In subsequent years, he made a number of visits to Florida, which became more frequent and of longer duration. By 1930 he had decided to make Gainesville his home, and spent almost 28 years around the University of Florida, actively collecting mushrooms throughout north central Florida and occasionally in south Florida, as his many friends were happy to take him to favorite collecting areas (see Weber, 1961).

Within a few years, publications on Florida mushrooms began to appear, and between 1938 and 1955 Murrill published almost 75 papers dealing largely with gilled mushrooms. More than 8,000 of his collections were accessioned in the University of Florida Mycological Herbarium before his death in 1957. Prominent mycologists such as R. Singer, L. R. Hesler, G. Burlingham, H. C. Beardslee, J. L. Lowe, and others visited the University of Florida to consult with Murrill. Subsequent to his death, dozens of agaricologists have continued to visit the Mycological Herbarium to study his collections, and we still receive from 10-25 requests annually for the loan of Murrill's type specimens.

Mushroom hunting in Florida can be done year-round in many areas of the state. Because of the mild, subtropical climate, saprobic species will emerge after adequate rainfall during any season of the year. Ectomycorrhizal species, however, are very seasonal; the greatest populations occurring during very rainy summer months, but reappearing the late fall and during winter months as the winter weather fronts provide rain. While the same genera can be found during summer and winter rainy seasons, the composition of species changes greatly. For example, an abundance of Agaricus species occurs during summer months but very rarely in the winter. Species of Cortinarius are rare in summer months, but abundant during the winter. There are two extremely dry seasons along most of the Florida peninsula, March to June and late September to early November. Even though hurricanes and other weather phenomena may bring unusual rainfall during these months, few ectomycorrhizal species will be found.

While assembling information and photographs to incorporate in a field guide to Florida mushrooms, I soon realized that a majority of the species described by Murrill had no illustrations at all. Most of his descriptions stressed field characters, lacking many of the microscopic and microchemical properties used in modern taxonomy. During his latter years in Gainesville, he was unable to travel to other herbaria and museums, the university library dropped many of the journals during the years of WW2, and Murrill's memory was not as keen as in previous years. As a result of these and other problems, Murrill made a number of mistakes in identification and was unsettled in his classification. However, as many of the major mushroom genera were subsequently monographed by modern agaricologists, most of Murrill species have stood the test of time."

############################################

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Useful Information for Florida shroomers [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2636619 - 05/04/04 11:49 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Very nice GG Thank you!!

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2636654 - 05/04/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

And here is a segment in the Introduction section of the same book (Page 14) about collecting mushrooms in Florida:

##############################################

"Collecting Mushrooms in Florida

Because of its hot, humid climate, collecting mushrooms during summer months in Florida can be extremely uncomfortable. It is good to plan collecting trips in the early morning and return by noon since the heat and humidity increase by midday, and daily thunderstorms push inland from the coasts by early afternoon. Become familiar with collecting sites and gain permission to collect of public and private land. Keep a compass and map of the area handy in you loose your orientation. Beware of dangers in the fields and woods such as poisonous plants, snakes, and spiders, as well as mosquitoes, chiggers, and ticks. Certain species of mosquitoes carry the encephalitis virus and other human diseases, seed ticks may carry Lyme diseases or ehrlichiosis, and chiggers are a constant irritation. The bottom line is to keep a supply of insect repellent and dress properly. Ticks seem more difficult to avoid, so I recommend wearing long pants and shirts, tucking pants inside your socks, and applying both spray repellant and powdered sulfur around shoes, socks, waistline and sleeve cuffs.

Some basic equipment needed to collect mushrooms include an open collecting basket or similar container with a durable handle and flat bottom, a knife or small trowel for removing mushrooms from their substrate, waxed sandwich bags or wax paper in which to keep specimens, and a pencil or pen with notebook or cards to keep notes. Avoid using baggies or plastic containers, since they will retain moisture and cause early spoilage of specimens. Do not place mushrooms loosely in a basket, otherwise they will easily become fragmented and mixed with other species; packet them separately.

If possible, collect both young and mature specimens so that the full complement of features will be present. Be careful removing specimens from the substrate, as not to disturb or destroy a volva or a deeply rooting structure. Do not mix collections, keeping careful notes on each group of specimens. Not the habitat, whether it is saprophytic or on the soil and likely mycorrhizal. If saprophytic, with what type of wood or plant debris is it associated? If mycorrhizal, what is the likely host species? Note the size, shape, and color of the pileus, stipe, and structures thereon. Does the specimen change colors when bruised? Does it emit an odor or exude milk when bruised? If present, what color is the milk? Does the color change with time? Chew a small piece of the mushroom to determine if the taste is mild, bitter, peppery, or another distinct taste. Good field notes are vital for accurrate identifcation of most mushrooms. Many characteristics of fresh mushrooms may change with refrigeration or drying. However, during summer months, specimens should be kept in a cooler if you are going to be in the field for several hours."

##############################################

Have a great mushroom picking season Florida shroomers!~

GG

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2637042 - 05/04/04 01:54 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I wish you would have posted that back in febuary,GG,and I wouldnt have gotten all these "battle wounds" from hunting!!

Very good! :thumbup: :cool:

--------------------

OfflinePerfect_Slayer
Noob
 User Gallery

Loc: DE
    #2637232 - 05/04/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Bah, i used to live in Florida, but i didnt think that good shrooms existed in florida kuzz i was t3h noob.. and completely stupid.. now i moved ot germany.. where i thought there would be more shrroms, but im kinda fuxed.. bah...

i looked through the shroom section with pictures.. andsome of those shrooms, i had seen like every week, when i mowed peoples lawns.. lol.. really agrevating.. i missed that part of my life.. :frown:

Anonymous

#2637691 - 05/04/04 04:50 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineFortMyersHopeful
Stranger
    #8589800 - 07/02/08 11:28 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

edit: No asking for locations

Edited by Alan Rockefeller (07/03/08 12:52 AM)

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
Re: Useful Information for Florida shroomers [Re: FortMyersHopeful]
    #8589814 - 07/02/08 11:31 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Your pushing the rules noob >:|

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Useful Information for Florida shroomers [Re: FortMyersHopeful]
    #8589901 - 07/02/08 11:47 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Please don't bump old threads and please read this:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2263556/an/0/page/0

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Useful Information for Florida shroomers [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8603382 - 07/07/08 08:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

This is helpful for people picking in that area, I think so at least.

Florida folks often put quite a lot on the line to find Cubensis.

Someone told me that there was a Bradenton find recently with photos, I didn't see it.

CHAPTER CUBENSIS should be in the net soon. If a Florida shroomer can read the whole thing their understanding will likely spread to others in the area. My editor sadly passed away.. likely within hours or minutes of it being sent by e-mail for review. So any errors I made will be kept in there regardless. I was guided by the master of the Florida Cubensis, but never surpassed his knowledge.

:heart:

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
    #8603408 - 07/07/08 08:35 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Looks dope, i hope there are lots of pictures :O

cubes are pretty

Offline420twentyfour7
Stranger
Re: Useful Information for Florida shroomers [Re: implee]
    #8603512 - 07/07/08 09:26 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i can't wait.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8604667 - 07/07/08 03:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup:

:heart:

Offlinepurplecubebody
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Useful Information for Florida shroomers [Re: doc34]
    #19943680 - 05/05/14 09:51 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

doc34 said:
Very nice GG Thank you!!

pure beauties

Offlinepurplecubebody
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Useful Information for Florida shroomers [Re: purplecubebody]
    #19943681 - 05/05/14 09:51 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

im so proud of this site its great to have something like this

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates