Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSeppuko
Sprite

Loc: teh intarweb
First attempt. advice?
    #2842011 - 06/30/04 01:49 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

All right, well I've decided on growing them. I looked into cakes, I looked into casing (I know, first timers shouldnt use casing..but mehhh I think I could pull it off. If not, oh well), I've looked into other reasonable stuff...

But the big problem is where I'd hide this stuff. The people I share residence with would probably notice if I left it out. So I thought a good place would be under my bed, or maybe in a drawer of my desk (which gets quite warm).

I don't have a ton of space, but the casing looks so damn nice. I don't have a pressure cooker, but I have the time to boil jars (like I've read works)...so what do you guys think would be the best, most effective method for my situation?

I have no real intent to sell..just hook some friends up.
I don't have any of the supplies yet, so I'm open to all growing techniques that work and don't take up a ton of space.

Questions? Comments? I look forward to them,

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAlien
Galactic Shaman

Loc: Jupiter's Moon
Re: First attempt. advice? [Re: Seppuko]
    #2842041 - 06/30/04 01:56 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Plant some out back, look up some teks in the archives for outdoor grows.

--------------------
-Alien :cool:

Alien Substrate Instructional:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG82xLzrNg8

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Loc: NY
    #2842060 - 06/30/04 02:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

honestly it sounds like your headed for problems whether it be contams or a snitch. my advise grow someplace else or move. also get a PC boil just leads to 100% contamination. also dont just straight into caseing or it might turn you off first get PF down then caseing will be no prob

--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]

Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
    #2842125 - 06/30/04 02:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Boiling doesn't lead to 100% contamination as AhronZombi said because I, and many others, boiled pf style brf/verm jars for over half a year before I moved onto grain with a PC.

About the hiding. I have a 40 X 20 X 15 inch rubbermaid bin (terrarium) that houses my casings. What I do is put a small tablecover over it and put books and things on the lid so it just looks like a small normal box or table to people who don't have any business knowing what's inside.

Hope that helps.

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Loc: NY
Re: First attempt. advice? [Re: iamgod]
    #2842144 - 06/30/04 02:28 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The blind leading the blind

--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2842218 - 06/30/04 02:57 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You can boil brf jars. Some say you can boil grains if you use fractional sterilization. Boil em for a hour one day then the next then one more time. I would never do this so I can't tell ya if it works but I do know you can boil brf jars for a hour and be fine.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineReject
Loc: L'ville
Re: First attempt. advice? [Re: Magash]
    #2843112 - 06/30/04 12:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Some say you can boil grains if you use fractional sterilization. Boil em for a hour one day then the next then one more time. I would never do this so I can't tell ya if it works but I do know you can boil brf jars for a hour and be fine.

Anyone want to explain the logic behind boiling in this method to me? You kill the contams in two ways, one involves getting them hot enough they are killed very quickly (PC) and the other one is getting it hot enough for long enough to kill them (boiling). But I don't understand this idea at all... you take it up to a temp for a while and some contams die out... then you let it set so that it cools back down to optimal growth temps for the contams, and then repeat... but if the temperature didn't kill them the first time, why will it do it the second?

--------------------
Any and all references to growing are completely facticious, all pictures shown unless specifically stated are stock photographs found via google image search.

Offlinefatesrush
The Count
Re: First attempt. advice? [Re: Reject]
    #2843133 - 06/30/04 12:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't have a PC so I'm always boilin brf jars and haven't had any contaminated jars ever. I usually just bring it to a boil and then a low simmer with steam and let that go for 30 minutes exactly on a timer. Seems to work, hope it ain't luck that'll turn around to bite me in the ass.

--------------------
How ya phillin'?

OfflineSeppuko
Sprite

Loc: teh intarweb
    #2843475 - 06/30/04 02:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Whoa, thanks a lot guys for the responses. Anybody see a praised guide for the boiling method?

I think I may just use a drawer as a holder for a box in which I'll grow maybe 4 cakes. Does that sound reasonable? A friend of mine also has a fishtank and a very warm place to hide it.

I've heard good and bad things about boiling...But I figure that if I do it, and it gets contam, oh well? I've lost like 5 bucks for a unique experience in growing (or failing to) grow shrooms.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation