Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVoyager
Stranger Still
Questions on first attempt
    #1153465 - 12/19/02 04:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have 8 Pint cakes I've been working on since Aug 22nd and I'm getting impatient. The jars of BRF and Verm were innoculated with B+ spores on Aug 22. The first two thirds of the jars colonized fairly quickly (7 weeks) but the last third took as long as the first two. Total days from innoculation to birth = 103. The jars were fully colonized at 93 days but I waited an extra ten based on info I have read to delay birthing a week and I added a couple of days due to the slow development.

I attribute the slow development to less than ideal temps during colonization. The jars were on the top shelf of a closet on the main floor of my house. Warm and stable but not warm enough once it got into late Sept thru Nov. There is no signs of contamination.

I birthed the cakes on Dec 3rd into a terrarium using perlite and 50/50 HP and water. Four of the cakes have growths on the top which resembles a convoluted mass the size of a marble and smaller which I believe to be primordia. The other four cakes do show some activity which resembles a small pimple on the side of the cakes in a few places. The cakes do have pencil lead sized spikes in various places.

I have nothing yet that resembles pinning as I understand it. None of the growth has any browning at the ends which would be the cap of a young shroom.

Two days ago a removed some light condensation on the cakes that have primordia very gently with a paper towel and almost immediately the areas I touched turned a very dark-dark blue. At that time I thought that the chamber may be a little too humid so I wiped the sides of the chamber, the acrylic drip shield and the cover to remove all of the condensation. Now there is only a light fogging on the drip shield.

The grow chamber is in the basement at a stable 70 degrees F. The shelf above it is very close to the top so very little light enters thru the clear window installed on the cover. Twice each day 12 hours apart I fan the chamber for gas exchange.

Here's what I'm thinking - First is to place a small cold pak in the chamber each nite, replacing with a freshly frozen one each time. The paks are not large enough to freeze any of the cakes and the chamber is not insulated. I'm hoping this will mimic nature by dropping the temp each nite. Second, on the cakes that show little activity, injecting 2 cc's of water into the well each day (I have not injected any water as of yet). From my visual examination of those cakes I'm guessing they are a little dehydrated.

From you experienced mycologists out there - what are your thoughts, advice, comments.

Thanks,

THE IMPATIENT ONE

PS. Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to anticipate any questions you may have.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: Questions on first attempt [Re: Voyager]
    #1153482 - 12/19/02 04:15 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Basically this reminds me of my first grow. You are fumbling in the dark. I would suggest that you attempt to both guage and regulate the humidity in your set up and the temperature. You might be at 60F and low humidity without even knowing it. Try to learn early. Get a humidity and temp guage and set it up inside. What's going on in the rioom might be different than inside the grow chamber, especially if the chamber is next to a wall. I would guess that cold shocking might work, but also rmember that most P. Cubes grow the fastest in the pinning stage at around 74-78F. If you shock them make sure the temp rises again.

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

OfflineNSKiller
Apprentice

Loc: North Eastern United Stat...
    #1153499 - 12/19/02 04:27 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

HOLY SHIT!  AUGUST 22!!!!    :O  Thats a long time......  My friends first flush was between nov 19,  dec 18 picked first babies  :laugh:  they were cambodians, but my friend has a incubation chamber set to 86d.  now don't get me wrong by no means am i an expert but ill give you my limited educated answers, and im sure ill be corrected if wrong.....  ive studied shroomers before my friend attempted to grow any. 

dude if at all possiable i would hook up an incubation chamber, you save MONTHS in time!  all for about 25-30, prolly cheaper if you got an old fishtank heater (make sure to sterilize it).

did you try cold shocking and dunking?  my friend has experience with both and was much more pleased with the dunked/cold shocked cakes, they both produced more, and faster too!  Within 9 days after cold shocking and dunking for 24 hours babies were pinnin.

"Two days ago a removed some light condensation on the cakes that have primordia very gently with a paper towel and almost immediately the areas I touched turned a very dark-dark blue"
i know this one!  its just the myc bruising, its ok itll still produce little ones, speaking from  "my friends" experience!

As far as the cold pak thing, i would just cold shock ur case, and forget about the freeze paks everynight, not only will it be a pain in the ass, but i do notice in my house the temp does drop at night, even though the temp is never set lower.  but, thats why this is an art of science, try it out and report back!!  it's what my friend does!!!!  when in doubt he asks questions, then normally trys it for himself anyways..... don't know why he bothers askin...... heh  :laugh:  good luck bro. 

--------------------
"I think its time to hit the sack, then i'll probably just go to bed" ~ NSKiller

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1154351 - 12/19/02 09:29 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You sound as if you have major environmental problems. It is key to try to get those conditions to the optimal ranges and keep them there consistantly. There is enough information on these boards to get you there....

You really got to think like the shrooms. Picture the where and whens you've seen shrooms in nature and try to imagine the conditions that they needed. Read more, don't worry about cold shocking these now. Your fruiting temp is ok but hard to say much about the rest of it.....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation