Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
A Deep Loss
    #2840949 - 06/29/04 06:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

My cat, Cookie, died this weekend.  I named him that because he looked like an Oreo cookie.  He almost got the name Doreto because he loved them, but Cookie seemed better.  I saved him from certain euthanasia at the hands of the local Humane Society when he was found abandoned with his siblings in a junk yard.  He was about two days old when I took him home and hadn't even opened his eyes yet.  He was crawling with fleas and ticks.  It took weeks before I got them all off him and out of my place.  He was my first pet after I moved out of my parents' place and he gave me love and unconditional positive regard for his 17 year lifespan.  He outlasted significant others, friends, neighbors, jobs, cars, and pretty much everything else in my life other than my human family.

I haven't been this down in a long time...

For perspective, here's a note I sent to an ex who lived with us for several years.

================================

Hi Tim,

Thought you'd want to know that Cookie died Saturday.  He was really old and his liver stopped working.  He'd been getting skinnier and skinnier over the last few months, but recently he was getting really bad.  Saturday morning he looked so bad it scared me.  I couldn't even get him to eat cheese (you know how much he loved cheese) and he was having trouble standing and walking.

I took him to the vet expecting to fix him up and take him back home, but the vet told me that he was just too old and beyond help.  She offered to try treating him, but told me it would be several thousand dollars and he still probably wouldn't make it through the weekend even with intensive treatment.  She also subtly suggested that even if he managed to pull through this, he'd still be in pain and would likely die anyway in still more pain within months.

I decided to let him go.  I asked to spend a few minutes with him.  I let him bite my chin and drool on me the way he always liked.  He was even purring when the vet returned.  She injected an overdose of an anesthetic into his IV and he died purring in my arms.  I haven't cried like that in a long time.

We had a lot of history together.  I'm going to miss him.

=================================

:crying: :crying: :crying:

Some pics of his healthy days...

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Loc: S.W. Virginia
Re: A Deep Loss [Re: Diploid]
    #2840972 - 06/29/04 06:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Im sorry to hear about your cat. I also love my animals. they are part of my life. I lost my jack russel about a year ago. i still feel lost without her. I stll can't walk out back to where she is buried. it hurts too much

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #2841078 - 06/29/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It's hard losing an old friend isn't it. Much symapthy. :frown:

Offlinesykobish
ProfessionalPsycho - JTOKREW
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, eh?
    #2841125 - 06/29/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

:crying: Such a beautiful cat.  I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  Just keep in mind that he is in a better place and he's without pain.

:heart:

--------------------
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One.
-={Nite-Crew}=-

*-_Thread_Jacker_-*
To love is to admire with the heart; to admire is to love with the mind. - Th?ophile Gautier.
Seek not every quality in one individual - Confucius.
Global Living Space

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #2841141 - 06/29/04 07:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It's hard letting go of an old friend like that. It sounds as though you had a lot of good times together though. my sympathy

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2841278 - 06/29/04 08:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Your post made me feel sad. I have two cats and I treasure them. I think the one good thing is that we are able to become attached to such neat creatures.

OfflineCaden
One Of TheUnknowing
Loc: Here
    #2841893 - 06/29/04 11:24 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I had a white cat growing up her name was Casper... she was my best friend. mom told me she went for a walk and got lost on the way home and stopped to ask for directions and the people that told her her way home was sick and gave the sickie flu to her :frown: she died about 2 days after "her walk". but yea I still miss her. I have a black cat now named Joe funny thing is Joe is a girl. not sure why or how she got that name... hummm but my heart is with you... Best Wishes!!

:heartpump:Caden

--------------------
We the Unwilling, Led by the Unknowing, Are doing the Impossible, For the Ungreatful, We have done so Much, For so Long, With so Little, We are now qualified to do ANYTHING wiht NOTHING!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom