Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
I have been having a lot of trouble with my cakes developing cobweb mold in the jars while they are incubating. Its nothing too severe, but they eventually develop a tinge of green mold on the outside. If I cut off the mold, will the mushrooms be safe to eat once they grow?? Is it possible to kill the mold completely and if so, how? I am so frustrated because I don't know what I'm doing wrong and it seems like there is so little mold that they might be salvagable but I don't know much about the subject so I don't really know. Please help!
Have you read the FAQ ? Anyway, trying to save mold still inside the jars becomes almost pointless. It's better to gain some experience and knowledge working with sterile techniques and achieve non contaminated jars than learning how to kill contamination.
>>Anyway, trying to save mold still inside the jars becomes almost pointless.
ive saved many jars this way... i popped the cake out of the jar... cut out the good healty colonized area, crumbled it in a paper cup filled with shredded paper towels and poured in a little bit of water, then covered the top with saran wrap and rubber banded it... right now the cakes pinning ill post the pictures when i get them developed... and i didnt even do this procedure in a glovebox i did it in my room on the seat of my weight bench... i just added some h202 to the water i moistened it with and dunked it in... its a perfectly clean cake...
something else to remember kurt, if your getting little bits of contams nearing the end of the colonization you can just birth it, cut off the contaminated area and use the salt trick which is located in one of the stickys at the top of this thread. good luck man!