Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Psychological and Metaphysical Aspects of Music pt. 2
    #2826595 - 06/25/04 01:03 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

If you would like to read part 1, please go here Here

I've decided to make a second post, for a few different reasons.
1. As inspiring as the first one was, I'm hoping this will be so.
2. I've read a few books, helpful or not, there's new stuff I'd like to speak of.
3. Talking about Music is so much fuckin fun anyways.

One of the greatest things about studying a discipline is that there's always something new to learn.  Whether you're a theorist or a performer or a composer, There's always a next level. 

So, on a much grander scale--how humanity perceives and expresses music-- what is the next level?

Well, I suppose we could start with general historical observations.

First, music was probably used as entertainment to pass time. I mean, what is a hunter/wanderer gonna do when he's not eating, hunting/wandering, or sleeping? Well, besides planning the rest of our existence, they gotta do somethin...
When humanity desired reason for existence and things around them and began worshipping Gods and seasons and so forth, Music was ritualized as well.  A tribal dance to the rain season for a good harvest....
For thousands of years, and obviously still, rhythms and combinations of pitches were played for fun and for God. Only in the last 1000 years have we attempted to a)write down/record music, and therefore b)create a system of arranging music. 
But, how could one begin to organize something you could only hear? Well, what sounds natural, right? Thus, the birth of music theory.  Music Theory is essentially based off of our ears, what sounds 'right' together as a group of pitches or a sequence of pitches, in equal or related rhythms.  As we further and further dissected what sounds good (and bad) we began to develop reasons and even more aspects of music theory.
Now in the last 100 years or less, with analysis of physics and acoustics, we can give scientific theories, frequency analysis, etc. 
And with this comes psychoacoustics--the study of the perception of sound, and how it affects us.

Bam, the history of music right? hehehe....

So, back to my original question. What's the next level? We've only begun to scrape the surface of psychoacoustics and physics, and anything discovered is only theoretical.
Everything is a wavelength, everything has a vibration.  Whether it be a block of iron, water, air... everything around us exists as a frequency, and our perception somehow categorizes these frequencies into different matter. 

Sound itself manipulates matter.  To get from a source to your ear, air particles are moved at varying speeds in every direction, moving the next air particles, etc to arrive at your ear.

It took me forever to understand this in my head::::---->
Move your hand from left to right fast then slower, then faster then slower. THIS is the wavelength, not like a wave in an ocean-up and down.

So can Sound manipulate us? Can a frequency penetrate our skin, and resonate in our bones?

EVEN MORE-- can sound penetrate your skull and manipulate the frequency of matter that is your brain? and therefore your nerve firings (thoughts)?

Touched more in Part One was different ways music affects us already, and possibly why.  So-- more on that.
Different styles of existing music can do a number of things, make you change moods, make you relive a memory, make you move... whatever it does, it is manipulating our consciousness in some way. 
How can a sound suddenly trigger a random memory of being in a store with an old girlfriend? or playing in the pool with your cousin?
How can sound make you feel compelled to move your body? This might be attributed to thousands of years of ritual or entertaining dances to music. Primitively, the only instruments were banging on stuff that makes different sounds--so the easiest way to interact would be to bang on something else or move to the pattern that they're banging.
How can sound make you change your mood?
Hm... I got nothin...

Quite a lot of words... I really just felt like writing about music tonight :wink:

PLEASE, post your thoughts and your links and your book titles. Everyone benefits! :grin:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Psychological and Metaphysical Aspects of Music pt. 2 [Re: Blastrid]
    #2827439 - 06/25/04 09:58 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

We are literally riding on a big vibrational wave. Our brains are just an interpretter of vibration, like an antennae for a radio.

Last year in High School, I was sitting next to my friend and he had a computer program for generating frequency's. Well, he wanted to annoy everyone so he turned the frequency generator up all the way so it produced the most high pitch noise available. When the volume was turned up so that everyone could hear it, the teacher was in the middle of a lecture and so was distracted from concentrating on the source of the sound. Unaware of the frequency, she began to lose track of her thoughts in mid-sentence and it was noticably caused from the program...so yes I believe frequency's can manipulate our brains responses.

EVERYTHING as you said has a specific frequency, flowers, microbes, the moon, AND the Sun. The Sun has a very specific frequency that effects the frequency of the Earth (Schumann Resonance). It turns out that frequency is directly related to our alpha/beta states (cannot remember exactly) of conscioussness and so communication is taking place. If the Sun can communicate to us, then I'm sure it is quite possible that stars can communicate to each other and so the Universe is a very large matrix of communication...perhaps life on Earth is setup very similiar to how it is all over the Universe because of the information the Sun has provided the Earth.

The implications of this are infinite and limited by your imagination. Very interesting stuff to think about :smile:

Also, notice the context; I said brain not mind. The brain like an antennae receives the SOURCE of transmission and radio (the body) expresses it.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #2827555 - 06/25/04 10:30 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think more research will soon go into brainwave alteration via sensory input. I know Brainwave Generator is out there, but I think there's much more potential in this, considering after all we ourselves are vibrational frequencies :smile:

As for music itself, I think technology will have a large part in upcoming music. Not necessarily the production of it as much as studying human reactions to various frequencies, rythms, ect. I've heard of a program that is able to test a song for "popularity" based on certain favourable frequencies and tones used within it. Eventually, I think it would be possible to continue these studies until an absolutely perfect (or as close to perfect as possible) song is created, after extensively studying what makes songs sound good to humans. Either this, or a combination of music with effective brainwave altering frequencies, to create songs that relax us, energize us, make us happy ect. Maybe we'll even have music drugs...

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: Psychological and Metaphysical Aspects of Music pt. 2 [Re: deff]
    #2828018 - 06/25/04 12:32 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

deff said:
I think more research will soon go into brainwave alteration via sensory input. I know Brainwave Generator is out there, but I think there's much more potential in this, considering after all we ourselves are vibrational frequencies :smile:

As for music itself, I think technology will have a large part in upcoming music. Not necessarily the production of it as much as studying human reactions to various frequencies, rythms, ect. I've heard of a program that is able to test a song for "popularity" based on certain favourable frequencies and tones used within it. Eventually, I think it would be possible to continue these studies until an absolutely perfect (or as close to perfect as possible) song is created, after extensively studying what makes songs sound good to humans. Either this, or a combination of music with effective brainwave altering frequencies, to create songs that relax us, energize us, make us happy ect. Maybe we'll even have music drugs...

I did my own little expirement back in 8th grade and found that lots of pop/hip hop/rap (I would add techno, but its supposed to be one long repetitive frequency; maybe thats why its popular) music, past 1994, contained a lot of added high pitched frequency's. I think that has some bearing over the popularity of the music. I think if you really observe you can see a sudden switch in mainstream music from '94-now (much less musical talent and much more digital beeps and stuff).

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
    #2828545 - 06/25/04 03:38 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Peace.

--------------------

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: Psychological and Metaphysical Aspects of Music pt. 2 [Re: Zahid]
    #2828569 - 06/25/04 03:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Who is that, Zahid?

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Psychological and Metaphysical Aspects of Music pt. 2 [Re: Zahid]
    #2828580 - 06/25/04 03:58 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

yeah he looks "holy"

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: Psychological and Metaphysical Aspects of Music pt. 2 [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2828582 - 06/25/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

well he is punjabi right? arent they all holy? thats what I read in a book anyways.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2828828 - 06/25/04 06:08 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Just like any other sense, music can affect what you are thinking. You hear something, and a certain stream of emotion will come over you - regardless of what it is (i.e. what you think). It may be subtle... but yes I think music can have an effect on you mentally.

(sorry if this doesn't make sense with the first post, I sort of skimmed it)

--------------------

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: Psychological and Metaphysical Aspects of Music pt. 2 [Re: abhi]
    #2828920 - 06/25/04 06:50 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

No it makes sense. But soon enough, can music do more than just have a subtle effect on you? Can music make you start crying right on cue, no matter who you are? Can music program things to occur in your brain?

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#2835535 - 06/28/04 03:42 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I'm fairly convinced that there are certain relationships of frequencies that alter your perception/reality/matter.
They must be devine relationships, based on phi, the frequency of the earth, and the resonant frequency of our brains...
If only we could further research this (not some hoity toity chakra tuning healing crap). Phsyics-researched combinations of frequencies that are similar to those that are resonating in our body and brain, pertaining to different moods or actions.

It's like: This song is called "Happy" because it makes you happy, scientifically proven.
This song is called "Rainbow" because it makes you think and see rainbows......
Think of the possibilities

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale