Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #28163505 -

What a great write-up.  Simple to understand and communicated nicely.  Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Stainless2]
    #28194450 -

I’m preparing for my first grow. And I need a bit of help with some measurements.

Shoebox Containers: 8 liter capacity, W/L/H 25 cm x 34 cm x 16 cm

I have 5 of these.

I’m doing PF tek in jars with the intent to crumble them up for spawn and use coir as instructed in this tek. I have 15 jars between 150-240 gram capacity (I may have collected a few more by the time I’m ready). Assuming everything goes perfectly (one can hope!) I assume a volume of about 2300 ml spawn upon PF colonization completion. The tek says to use 2 parts spawn and an equal amount of coir to mix, plus 1 part casing.

My question is, how deep should it be? Please refer to the measurements given above for my shoeboxes. I know I won’t have enough spawn/coir mix for all 5 boxes, but will I have enough to do 2? Will it be more likely to fail if I do less than a 1:1 ratio of spawn to coir?

Should I use a liner? The boxes are not square on the inside.

Thank you 😊

Edited by Mycodemus (02/19/23 12:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Mycodemus]
    #28194460 -

Use at least 1:1 spawn:sub ratio, by volume. Lower spawn:sub ratios like 1:2 etc. are going to yield more and need less maintenence, assuming you nail field capacity. But higher spawn:sub ratios colonize faster, meaning contams have less chance to take hold.

Some people fill their shoeboxes nearly to the brim with a ratio like 1.5qt:4.5qt and then fruit with a holes-poked grocery bag, another tub on top (dubtub), or inside a pasty-dialed mono or watertub.

You'll have to experiment and see what works best for you, but nailing field capacity for your climate is probably the most important thing.

Liners are optional, especially for shoeboxes. Some say they control side pinning by shrinking with the sub as it dries, but side pins can make their way to the surface and be just fine. I think a liner is more necessary in a mono size tub, even if just for providing some help when getting the sub out for harvesting.


--------------------


πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό  πŸ„² πŸ…„ πŸ… πŸ„Έ πŸ„Ύ πŸ…„ πŸ…‚

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Mycodemus]
    #28194626 -

Thanks. Is there a minimum that a shoebox should be filled to? Like would 4 cm plus coir casing be too little?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Mycodemus]
    #28194643 -

Generally 1 quart spawn and 1 quart coir is the bare minimum for 6qt shoeboxes. A larger volume box with the same overall height would have a bigger footprint and might need a little more to make a decent sub thickness.

4cm is a little light, but should work fine if you're on point with misting. Heavily mist that casing (like SFF says, 20 seconds with one of those fine misters) and you might not have to touch it until pins show up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #28885050 -

Thanks this is awesome love it thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #29498735 -

Than you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: ShaperDreaming] * 1
    #29667251 -

I know this thread is old but I wanted to say two things.

1) Thank you to @ShaperDreaming for making the tek - so clear and easy to follow!

2) I had a really tough time with the ratio of 550g coir to 2.5L water minus 1 cup.

The sub came out just dripping. I don't know if my coir is different than the one she used, but wow.

The ratio that is much better for me is 650g coir/2L water. This creates the same level of hydration, where it takes a concerted effort to squeeze out a drop. Plus it's a lot easier as coir comes as 650g blocks too.

This was from member @SkanskKorv to give credit.

Again, no disrespect to the OP; it's a fantastic tek and I'm a noobie. I just wanted to post my results.

Thanks to everyone here for the fantastic teaching and for the community!

Mych


--------------------
Newcomer to growing. It's exciting and interesting. Thanks for all the info.

Edited by Mychol (09/13/26 09:33 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Mychol]
    #29667309 -

Mychol said:
I know this thread is old but I wanted to say two things.

1) Thank you to @ShaperDreaming for making the tek - so clear and easy to follow!

2) I had a really tough time with the ratio of 550g coir to 2.5L water minus 1 cup.

The sub came out just dripping. I don't know if my coir is different than the one she used, but wow.

The ratio that is much better for me is 650g coir/2L water. This creates the same level of hydration, where it takes a concerted effort to squeeze out a drop. Plus it's a lot easier as coir comes as 650g blocks too.

Again, no disrespect to the OP; it's a fantastic tek and I'm a noobie. I just wanted to post my results.

Thanks to everyone here for the fantastic teaching and for the community!

Mych



I multiply the weight of coir X 4.2 and add that much water. for instance 600g coir x 4.2 = 2520ml of water

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: RockinRobot] * 1
    #29667321 -

I guess different coir is really different. That would result in a dripping mess for me.

I suppose it's up to each of us to figure out what works.

Thanks for sharing.

Mych


--------------------
Newcomer to growing. It's exciting and interesting. Thanks for all the info.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Beginner TEK _ For NEW NEWBIES NewbieShroomer 6,185 16 06/16/19 07:51 PM
by lilwoman
* New Tek is complete, What do you think?
( 1 2 3 all )
NewbieShroomer 26,082 47 05/15/23 07:15 PM
by johnukguy
* Marx2K's Tek. Let me know what you guys think.. ( marx2k 5,853 8 06/12/11 03:32 PM
by scatmanrav
* bluhoney Start to finish tek bluhoney 6,247 13 04/05/02 10:20 AM
by SouthernGent
* bluethumb's compost experiment (beginners read) cheesyincident 2,166 6 03/06/02 11:30 AM
by cookiewhore
* Some bulk teks for people too try bluhoney 7,649 5 09/06/02 02:50 AM
by goatywoaty
* Complete Professional Growing Tek
( 1 2 3 all )
bluhoney 24,234 43 04/15/24 03:10 PM
by stasis
* WANTED wheat straw tek for site dimitri211 4,254 5 07/21/01 12:20 PM
by Anno

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
101,222 topic views. 17 members, 120 guests and 121 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 15 queries.