Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebillster84
fungi-consumi

The TN Fields are Back!
    #2803715 - 06/17/04 09:22 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

hey folks,
been away for awhile but now it seems that same FOAF has located more cubensis in southwest TN. These look like the same strain as last year even though the guy says they are from a different field nearby. He was also wondering if anyone would be interested in helping him domesticate this strain because they tend to be ridiculously potent, PM me if you want to help him out. Anyway, here are the pics...

biggins

the haul...not much, but more to come

some of the babies

more coming soon!

--------------------
...in the middle of a world on a fish hook.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAction_Man
RIP Houser

Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: billster84]
    #2803729 - 06/17/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Nice!

--------------------
Cookin up some fuel for us all. :laugh:

OfflineAristar
InterdimensionalBeing

#2803963 - 06/17/04 10:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Those are quite beautiful for wild shrooms, congrats on the find!

Offlinebillster84
fungi-consumi

Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: Aristar]
    #2804621 - 06/18/04 04:20 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

thanks!

more pics coming once the upload limit resets...

--------------------

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2804628 - 06/18/04 04:29 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Wow, those are some of the best wilds I've ever seen.
Thanks

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2804965 - 06/18/04 09:26 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

What are the winters like over there? Here's a question for the experts on the forum: Do you think that the spores travel annually from the south or do you think the population is self sustaining over winter?

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2805220 - 06/18/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Incredible.

Are those growing from stable shavings? cow, horse, dung, what?

I don't remember ever seeing someone in TN ever posting pics of wild (TN) Psilocybe cubensis.

Cool score.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2805266 - 06/18/04 11:37 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

very nice indeed. Man I wish I could find a stable shavings pile somewhere around here! That would be fucking sweet!

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2805530 - 06/18/04 12:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yeap, nice looking cubes you've got there :wink:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinebillster84
fungi-consumi

Re: The TN Fields are Back! UPDATE !!PICS!!! [Re: billster84]
    #2807657 - 06/18/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

babies the next day...

mmmmm

more.

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2807768 - 06/18/04 11:35 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

YidakiMan said:
What are the winters like over there? Here's a question for the experts on the forum: Do you think that the spores travel annually from the south or do you think the population is self sustaining over winter?

]

great question.. I wonder this as well! what does Mjshroomer or any of the pros say??

I live in north GA around atlanta and have searched for cubes but have been discouranged because some say the winter makes it impossible for survival... I guess this would support the theory that the spores travelled by wind north..but tennasee! dang thats pretty far.. how cold does it get? it must be spore travel..

Offlinebillster84
fungi-consumi

Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2807844 - 06/18/04 11:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

there was a bit of a debacle when we posted pics of these (last year) as to whether the shrooms were really from TN or not because there wasn't much support for the existence of cubensis that far north. but eventually the skepticism waned and here they are again...they are a very very potent strain from what AFOAF says and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone would like to help domesticate from a wild print or by other means.

to answer earlier questions, the winters here are fairly cold and get to be around low temp 25 for a couple weeks during the height of the cold season.

I was actually wondering as well if the fungi were a result of spores traveling north or leftover spores form last year. there are shrooms in the same few fields as they were last year and still none in the ones that didn't produce last season. it makes me think they are leftover spores....they have not been fruiting all summer until about 5 days ago - and they seem to be the same strain as well. it would be interesting to find out. how bout it mods, whats your take?

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2808809 - 06/19/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Take a good couple prints and send them out of the country ASAP. Perhaps a colder fruiting strain will evolve from these genetics.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2809308 - 06/19/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

There's a reason cubensis aren't commonly found north of Atlanta: the Appalachian mountains.

The mountains run through North GA, NE Alabama, and East TN. There are no mountains in SW TN. The peidmont for the Appalachian Mountains begins at about Macon and the elevation gradually increses as you head north. While the true "Mountains" are found north of say, Gwinnett and Fulton counties, the elevation still plays a part in how cold it gets.

Here's a map of the Appalachian mountain range:

http://www.unc.edu/~whisnant/appal/maps/Appreg.gif

Geographicaly speaking, I'm a good bit further south than he is, but it was still colder here. He said the lows were around 25 there. I'm near the southern part of Lake Lanier and I think the lowest temp we saw in my area was around 7 degrees. Lows averaged around 20-15 in the month of January. Big temperature difference. Enough to inhibit growth of cubensis, I'd say.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: Gumby]
    #2809433 - 06/19/04 06:34 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Southwest Tennessee, is that near memphis? Not too many mountain ranges near memphis i don't remember.(?)

Anyways, it looks like he is finding them in a mixture of stable shavings and probably horse dung; and it seems that Cubensis play a different game when it comes to growing from stable shavings and horse dung (as compared to cow patties), the cubes that grow from stable shavings seem to grow distributed over a broader range also.. right? :smile:

Maybe its just my eyes that play tricks on me, but the cubes that people find in the stable shavings/horse manure mix grow in a different fashion, they fruit differently than when normally found on cow patties. They just don't look quite the same to me. Naturally enough

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #2809461 - 06/19/04 06:50 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

That's a good post, gumby. I never thought of the mountains impeding spore dispersement in east TN. I grew up in nw alabama and I know there's plenty of places to find cubensis in the tri state region(al, tn, ms) but not in ne al or the area of tn north of there. You just explained it for me.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2809464 - 06/19/04 06:52 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I've noticed the same thing, GG. Whenever I see pics of people finding cubensis north of the ATL, they're always growing from stable shavings.

I've got a theory bout this one... Little crazy, but possible none the less.

When anything in nature decomposes energy is used and it produces a fair amount of heat. Don't believe me? Go dig up a compost heap and feel the stuff a few inches/feet down. It'll be warm. My theory is that when the massive piles of stable shavings are decomposing, the produce enough heat over the winter to keep they mycelia network/spores of cubensis. It creates a "micro climate," if you will.

The more massive/dense something is, the harder it is to change the temperature of. The reason the mycelium couldn't live in cow dung over the winter is because a cow turd is less massive than a 6 foot pile of horse manure/woodchips, and probably less dense. Therefore a cow turd would freeze much faster and easier than a 6 foot mound of horse dung that is constantly producing heat.

Makes sense, right?

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #2809480 - 06/19/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

That makes excellent sense...

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: OldSpice]
    #2809513 - 06/19/04 07:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'm pretty sure he got those in a cow feild and not from the stables. From what I was told. We live in the same area only I'm in NW MS and he's from the SW TN area only a few miles away. Maybe it's just old cow poo and it's decomposing into the gound around a tree line and thats where the wood comes form? I don't think it ever gets cold for long periods of time here. It may be hoovering right above freezing for a few days but then usually warms back up to the 40's. It prolly reaches below freezing under 10 to 15 times a year. Avg. temp for our coldest month is prolly lower to mid 40's.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: The TN Fields are Back! [Re: pinkfloydms]
    #2809519 - 06/19/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom