Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Ok, thats it, I'm gonna do it!!
    #2629967 - 05/02/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I've been struggling with this one for years. I swore I wasn't gonna do it until the time was right. And even though it still feels like the time is not right, I'm afraid I must succumb....I'm gonna buy a goddamn digital camera!!

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to photography. I love film. Somehow it doesn't feel right to me to not have a negative of a picture I've taken. It's as if the picture doesn't really exist. Nevermind the fact that I scan every photo worth looking at and then put the hard copy away for good!!

But after the AZ gathering I just decided it was time. I saw how easy it was for people to share their pics instantly and even the ability to take some short videos. And most of the digital pics I've seen look really nice. The technology has finally reached a point that I can justify using digital to document events in my life. I will still use film if I am looking to take some special shots but I have run out of excuses to not use digital for everyday applications and documenting events in my life.

Because I am picky about my photography I want a camera with fairly high resolution. I am looking at several models with over 8 megapixel capability. But for now I am staying away from professional models (like the Canon EOS series) with interchangeable lenses. Most of these don't have the ability to shoot video and that is something I want. From what I have seen I will be sacrificing some image quality because of this, but I don't care right now. Someday (years from now) I will replace my old 35mm camera system with an equally stunning digital version. For now I just need to get with the times and start somewhere.

So, God forgive me, I'm going digital!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYouEnjoyMyself
PHiSH

Re: Ok, thats it, I'm gonna do it!! [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #2629972 - 05/02/04 11:11 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

digi cameras are nice though..and convienient...but taking pictures and developing your film is fun.

--------------------
-Wash uffitze drive me to firenze

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
    #2629981 - 05/02/04 11:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

This is a good site to do research on. http://www.dpreview.com/

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #2629991 - 05/02/04 11:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

do it up!
i've been putting it off too... :wink:

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#2630018 - 05/02/04 11:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

the best one ive used was a Nikon D100, 6MP with interchangable lenses. holy fuck that thing was amazing, i fell in love with macro photography, that's for sure. im in the process of saving up for something like that, my 2mp crap cam doesn't cut it anymore.

my favorite part about digital is the fact that you can take a million pictures and not have to worry about running out of film. then if you're pressed for space on the card, you can simply view the shitty ones on the camera and ditch them on the spot. problem solved.

be sure to post some pics whenever you get your camera

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2633851 - 05/03/04 07:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone have any thoughts about buying such an item on-line? If I buy from a reputable on-line company (I'm looking at newegg) I can save around $150 from what a local retail store will charge. Everywhere I see the camera around here it is retailing for $999.00 but newegg lists it for $849.00.

Any thoughts? I trust newegg. I'm just not sure about a big purchase like this on-line. But 150 bucks is a big deal!!

--------------------

OfflineYouEnjoyMyself
PHiSH

#2634087 - 05/03/04 08:06 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yea, be careful with online stores...there are a lot of scammer stores...i know digital liquidators is a store that scams people...go to websites where you can see ratings for website and read reviews of what customers experienced, it's very importand to do that online.

--------------------
-Wash uffitze drive me to firenze

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2635908 - 05/04/04 04:25 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Stick with known camera brands also.

i.e. canon makes nice digital cameras, generally better then a company that does not specialize in cameras, like toshiba.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #2636054 - 05/04/04 07:02 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ToTheSummit said:
Because I am picky about my photography I want a camera with fairly high resolution. I am looking at several models with over 8 megapixel capability. But for now I am staying away from professional models (like the Canon EOS series) with interchangeable lenses.

Sony F828

I just picked up this model to replace 3 medium format cameras and a 35mm digital that were stolen a few months back... I'm quite impressed with it, I've been into photography since I was a young kid and by far this camera has almost every feature you could want.... white balance and lighting compensation are amazing on this unit... I thought I would be returning it and purchasing a Fuji S2 or a nikon D1x but I was very happy within the first week

this shot was done in nightshot mode with the sepia tone and a 1000nm IR filter

same info as above

my garden coyote was taken from about 100 feet without a teleconverter or any other enhancements

a photo of the patern of damascus steel sword under poor lighting conditions
the colors are pretty accurate considering it was under fluorescent lighting.

this is a direct photo of the sun with the nightshot off through the IR filter, the fliter is a piece of black glass thats virtualy impossible to see through, sony has incorporated a 'hot mirror filter' that allows for the use of nightshot and the IR filters... most cameras wont have this function but considering the price of IR film and the quantity you will use to get 1 good exposure... assuming that you loaded it with out exposure to light and didnt waste the roll... the 1000nm filter was $100 after shipping through ebay

one of the advantages of using IR is you you are doing a portrait, the addition of a red filter will eliminate blemishes, its quite flattering to the model

I've just played with it a little, I have alot of photos that I havent uploaded yet, if you want more just let me know...

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Ok, thats it, I'm gonna do it!! [Re: Barbi]
    #2636056 - 05/04/04 07:06 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mndfreeze said:
Stick with known camera brands also.

i.e. canon makes nice digital cameras, generally better then a company that does not specialize in cameras, like toshiba.

keep in mind that canon does printers, copiers and a variety of things asside from cameras... avoiding a camera based on this criteria and you would be avoiding quite a few cameras that rank in the pro-slr class that are quite suitable for his needs... I've never been disapointed in a nikon, canon or sony digital...

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

Re: Ok, thats it, I'm gonna do it!! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2636131 - 05/04/04 07:48 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

It was obviously meant to say 'stick to people who KNOW cameras'

canon makes a grip of shit, so does toshiba.. so does HP.

I would never buy an HP camera if you get my drift.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: Ok, thats it, I'm gonna do it!! [Re: Barbi]
    #2636231 - 05/04/04 08:30 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I wouldnt either... but thats bases on $$$/crap

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
    #2636374 - 05/04/04 09:36 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Newegg is safe to buy from. They have a great reputation for being reliable and providing fast shipping. I bought almost $2,000 worth of stuff off of them at once (including my $700 digital camera). There was tons of stuff, but they got it all to me in perfect condition in 4 days.

If your order is smaller I'm sure there's a good chance that you could get it in 2-3 days.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ok, thats it, I'm gonna do it!! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2638544 - 05/04/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

HA! Prisoner, you nailed it!!! Thats the exact model I am going to buy! I've been researching digitals for a couple weeks and thats the one I got my eye on!!

One thing I really like about this camera is that there is almost no lag time between when you push the button and when the shutter fires. Unlike almost every other digital camera I have tried which have terrible lag-times (often more than a second).

And It has a shit-load of features I like. I already own a Sony camcorder that I love to death so I'm sure I'll be happy with this camera.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom