Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

They knew there were no WMD - clip
    #2615341 - 04/29/04 11:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: They knew there were no WMD - clip [Re: ]
    #2615389 - 04/29/04 11:27 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

These statements of Powell and Rice were published in the European media before the war and I also posted them here with little effect. That explains why many countries didn't beleive to the famous Powell speach in the UN.
I wonder if any of those who spit over UN, France, Germany and Russia feel a bit ashamed now...

BTW the WMD might still be hidden somewhere in the desert. :lol:

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2615466 - 04/29/04 11:50 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

this is much better than having to wade through
then entire pilger video though....thanks.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: They knew there were no WMD - clip [Re: zeronio]
    #2615635 - 04/29/04 12:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

BTW the WMD might still be hidden somewhere in the desert.

You can't prove they arn't!  :lol:

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2616156 - 04/29/04 02:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

According to the memory hole, the Powell statement was made in a press conferance in Cairo. Here is the context:
Quote:

We had a good discussion, the Foreign Minister and I and the President and I, had a good discussion about the nature of the sanctions -- the fact that the sanctions exist -- not for the purpose of hurting the Iraqi people, but for the purpose of keeping in check Saddam Hussein's ambitions toward developing weapons of mass destruction. We should constantly be reviewing our policies, constantly be looking at those sanctions to make sure that they are directed toward that purpose. That purpose is every bit as important now as it was ten years ago when we began it. And frankly they have worked. He has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors. So in effect, our policies have strengthened the security of the neighbors of Iraq...

This is a link w/ more information, including the Rice quote:
http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/powell-no-wmd.htm

So, this looks genuine to me, and pretty good evidence of deception on the part of the Bush administration. Thanks for the link.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: They knew there were no WMD - clip [Re: Xlea321]
    #2617105 - 04/29/04 05:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

You can't prove they arn't!

Good to see you finally caught up.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: They knew there were no WMD - clip [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2617224 - 04/29/04 05:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: They knew there were no WMD - clip [Re: Learyfan]
    #2617241 - 04/29/04 05:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If the plug doesn't fit, you must take a shit.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2617271 - 04/29/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I haven't heard the clip but I'll try and find it.

Thursday, April 29, 2004 10:05 a.m. EDT
Kerry Flip-flops on Missing WMDs

While the Washington press corps seems to have missed it, WABC Radio's Steve Malzberg has been playing a clip of Sen. John Kerry in his biggest flip-flop yet - showing the presumptive Democratic nominee suddenly admitting that Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction may soon turn up.

It's quite a turnaround for Kerry, who just a few weeks ago was complaining: "George Bush sold us on going to war with Iraq based on the threat of weapons of mass destruction. But we still haven't found them. ... We were misled about weapons of mass destruction."

Key Kerry backer Howard Dean has been even more adamant, insisting to CNN earlier this month: "There were no weapons of mass destruction. ... This is Bushgate, which is far more serious than Watergate."

But Tuesday night on MSNBC's "Hardball," Kerry retreated.

"It appears, as they peel away the weapons of mass destruction issue - and we may yet find them," he told host Chris Matthews. "Look, I want to make it clear. Who knows if a month from now, three months from now, you find some weapons? You may."

Coincidentally or not, Kerry's reversal came a day after the Jordanian government announced that WMDs from Syria were part of an al-Qaida plot to kill 80,000 people in Amman with poison gas. At least one of the plotters has admitted he was trained in Iraq.

The top Democrat's flip-flop also followed news that a suspected weapons of mass destruction production facility in Baghdad - disguised as a perfume factory - unexpectedly blew up, killing two GIs who were searching the plant.

Link

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2617462 - 04/29/04 06:30 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

more breaking news from newsmax!

I really enjoyed their followup to the dusty, short-range
missles that were surely part of saddam's anti-american
nuclear arsenal....

that was worthy of a pullitzer.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: They knew there were no WMD - clip [Re: afoaf]
    #2617478 - 04/29/04 06:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ah, can't beat the message, so beat the messenger.

Lame.

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2618118 - 04/29/04 08:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

There are two basic differences between the Kerry "flip-flop" you cite and the contradictions present in statements made by the Bush whitehouse.

First, Kerry did not use the absense of WMDs to involve us in a war, which has cost the lives of many US and Iraqi citizens, and billions of dollars.

Second, the statements you have cited are not contradictory in fact, though they do differ in emphasis.

"George Bush sold us on going to war with Iraq based on the threat of weapons of mass destruction. But we still haven't found them. ... We were misled about weapons of mass destruction."

"It appears, as they peel away the weapons of mass destruction issue - and we may yet find them," he told host Chris Matthews. "Look, I want to make it clear. Who knows if a month from now, three months from now, you find some weapons? You may."

The first statement says that we have not found WMDs, which is true, and that we were misled about WMDs, which is ceartainly true as to the extent of the programs and our knowlege about those programs, regardless of what we now find. He did not say that we will never find WMDs, and it is clearly impractical to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that there are NO WMDs in Iraq.

compare this to statements made by Colin Powel.

Jan, 2001, in a press conference in Cairo:
"He has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors."

Feb 5, 2003, before the UN:
"The gravity of this moment is matched by the gravity of the threat that Iraq's weapons of mass destruction pose to the world."

These two statements are contradictions of fact.

Now, it is possible that Powell became aware of new information in the intervening two years, but this contradiction lends support to the suspicion that the Bush administration provided evidence of WMDs in bad faith, as a tool to convince the American people and the world to invade Iraq, rather than objectively considering the evidence as to the actual threat posed by Iraq.

Anonymous

Re: They knew there were no WMD - clip [Re: phi1618]
    #2619720 - 04/30/04 03:28 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup:

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park, Space Hunter

#2619951 - 04/30/04 05:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
If the plug doesn't fit, you must take a shit.

ROFLMAO, High-larious.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: They knew there were no WMD - clip [Re: phi1618]
    #2619985 - 04/30/04 06:14 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

First, Kerry did not use the absense of WMDs to involve us in a war, which has cost the lives of many US and Iraqi citizens, and billions of dollars.

Really? Want to check and see how he voted on going to war before continuing this?

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2620370 - 04/30/04 10:11 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

see this thread on John Kerry and the Iraq war (origionally posted to address concerns of flip-flopping):

John Kerry and Iraq

Your point is irrelavent to the discussion at hand. The "flip-flop" you we are discussing occured entirely well after that vote. You'll notice, I said "absense of WMDs", I am referring not to John Kerry's voting record, but to the significance soley of the quotes you cited.

The point is that, even if Kerry makes a contradiction of fact in the campaign, it is not as significant as the contradiction of fact cited at the top of this thread because it was made in a less weighty context.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion