Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecrippledavenger
6th Venom

making an air filtered glove box
    #2470945 - 03/25/04 04:22 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hi, I I'm thinking of making an air filtered glove box using a computer fan. I need to build a filter pad using household materials I wonder if anyone had any suggestions. Initially I was going to suck air out of the box, to let air in I was going to drill many small holes which I was going to plug with cotton wool. I have rejected this idea because I think contaminated air might be sucked in around in the lid seal. I think a better option is to push air into the box through a filter pad and let the bad air escape anyway it likes. At my disposal are wine making paper filter pads, cotton wool, Jays cloths and micropore tape.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineParsifal
Shrrroomozaurus

Loc: Slovenia
Re: making an air filtered glove box [Re: crippledavenger]
    #2472168 - 03/25/04 05:56 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hi... not much choice :smile: ...to get serious...job done

Get yourself at least small Hepa filter from vacuum cleaners they are cheap...and they WORK - main thing is enough overpressure without turbulences...

I did GB my with anti alegrgic hepa (delonghi) instaled in box made of wood and glass ... it works 98-99% -(on 100 petris 1-2 contamins )  -only you need to make deflectors- comb like structures around openings - turbulences appearing on sides of an airstrean  and contamins... can be drawn in ...

Offlinecrippledavenger
6th Venom

Re: making an air filtered glove box [Re: Parsifal]
    #2472269 - 03/25/04 08:31 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Those vacuum cleaner hepa filters seem to be an effective way to go about it, but I think I will need something bigger than a computer fan, that said it only needs to push the existing air out the box once and there is no hurry once the box is sealed. I'm not totally clear about what you mean by turbulence, is that air going into the filter or through the exit hole? I still might go for the totally DIY approach because those filters cost about 15 pounds and it goes against my religious principles to spend any money if I don't have to. I seem to remember that they used to use cotton wool in test tubes in laboratories, and if the right density in a filter, can easily trap mold spores and some bacteria, I believe that is the case, I may be wrong. Anyway I found this interesting sales blurb.

OfflineParsifal
Shrrroomozaurus

Loc: Slovenia
    #2472680 - 03/25/04 12:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

There are some small hepa`s for less money...look around I got in local store one for 4 pounds...:shiftyeyes: You can also use bag for vacuum cleaner that have Hepa bag ...I have one for filtering terrarium air...:cool:

I should see a picture of your project... but I think cotton wil provide too much resistance for comp. fan...still you can try...

Turbulences appear near openings, with outer unsterile air(difference in pressure...make cigarette smoke experiment:stoned:...but if your design is hermeticly closed...no problemo

You can try with air filters for automobiles...they are 20-5 microns
+cotton  :rolleyes:
Try to seal fan to Pvc pipe or any plastic envelope  and then put some layers of cotton...and you will see... :confused:

But remember no seed no fruit...

Offlinemickywilliams2
journeyman
    #2473198 - 03/25/04 04:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Go with ULPA or still air. IMO

Offlinecrippledavenger
6th Venom

Re: making an air filtered glove box [Re: mickywilliams2]
    #2475853 - 03/26/04 06:23 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the info, I think I will go for a hepa filter of some sort, as I want to be sure it is going to filter particles. I get it now about the turbulence. I must add though that the site is diabolical for jargon, I mean mickywilliams2 what the f***%? is ULPA or still air. I mean those initials are totally unique and don't appear anywhere else on this entire site!!!! And "still air" I mean what is that, do you use wizardry to freeze a block of air.

Offlinegetmyshroomon
Trip Sydicate

Loc: 4 hours away from the mid...
    #2475874 - 03/26/04 06:42 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

i dont understand why you guys go through all the trouble to find all these fans and special filters , just make a sealed box with some gloves and a lid that u can take on and off buts that has a flush seal. and then just put a spray thing of lysol in the box and spray down everything and let it dry , then do w/e u need to do, i think is way easier and u dont need fan/filter/air pressure shit to worry about

--------------------
-Relax and take notes while i tokes on the marijuana smoke-Biggie Smalls

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2475888 - 03/26/04 06:51 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I use "Heavy duty dust masks" from Home Depot-they come in packs of 50-100,and are really thick(like Hepa's).I havent had any contam's since I have been useing them.
I also use a computer fan and I tape two of these filters over the fan opening with no problems at all and it doesnt have an exhaust port-it just blows air out around the lid(only air in,is filtered,so it has to go out and as long as it is sucking in filtered air it is blowing out the same)I also use these filters on my jars instead of coffee filters and they are re-useable too.Just soak them over night in bleach-water solution.

Peace out
DOC

--------------------

Offlinemickywilliams2
journeyman
    #2477641 - 03/26/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

ULPA is a acronym for Ultra Low Penetration Air. This type of filter must have an efficiency of at least 99.999% (0.001% penetration) at usually .1 to .2 micron.
Better than a regular HEPA
bionaire makes a nice little unit.

Some contams will pass right through a regular HEPA.

Still air is air that is not moving like getmyshroomon is talking about in his post.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology