Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Have psychedelics changed your political views?
    #2465541 -

I notice a lot of the liberals here consider it to be unfathomable that a psychedelic user could possibly vote for Bush or be a "neocon," so I'd like to ask you all something:
Have psychedelics changed your political views?
You may choose only one


Votes accepted from 03/23/04 12:00 AM until the end of time

View the results of this poll



--------------------


"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2465594 -

I don't really remember my political views before I tried psychedelics. Back then, I didn't think about politics much. I imagine that if I'd payed attention and thought about the issues, I would probably have come to similar conclusions as I do now.

Psychedelics have helped me change the way I look at the world, but I don't know that they've impacted my politics much.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: phi1618]
    #2465609 -

Ya, as I said in another thread, psychedelics have had a profound impact on my spiritual beliefs, but have had pretty much zero impact on my political views.


--------------------


"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2465614 -

i think the only way they changed it was very, very indirectly.

when i started getting interested in reading about/trying drugs, i was just starting to get interested in trying mushrooms. thus, researching drugs, why theyre illegal, and the health problems they cause (or lack thereof, depending on what substance), has led me to disagree with the idea behind the drug war etc even more.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: Vats of Blood]
    #2465648 -

Before psychedelics, I was for the democrats, but didn't really think about their policies, didn't care about the drug war. The only political situations I thought about were in cases such as the PATRIOT Act (though it hadn't come out yet when I was 13, similar situations,) and how I despised having my liberties taken away. Then I started becoming more and more left, agreeing with the Green Party more than the Democratic Party by far, and believing even more so that people should have freedom. So it took what was already there and accentuated it.


--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2465852 -

I voted "sort of" and here's why:

Psychedelics, since I began using them, changed my view in all matters. Not my political views specifically...

However in changing my general mindset they have had an indirrect effect on my political views.


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2465869 -

I tried psychedelics long before I ever cared about politics (I was already a 'head' in junior high school). Psychedelics never had an influence on the development of my political opinions except to the extent that I saw hypocrisy in laws against their use while alcohol, tobacco and prescription drugs were everywhere and used by those who would throw the users of psychedelics (and other recreational drugs) in jail.


--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2466003 -

I, like Evolving, first tried psychedelics before I paid much attention to politics. I was halfway through high school when I first took some extremely righteous Orange Double Barrel LSD.

By the time I had gone through the transition from standard Canadian Libbie to Laissez-faire Capitalist, I was in my very early twenties, and still doing LSD at the very least monthly.

In my case, I can say truthfully that my introspections during some of my psychedelic voyages convinced me that no possible good can come from the initiation of force in human affairs. But I must also truthfully say that the original idea came to me before I had ever taken my first trip -- I merely hadn't taken the time to think through all the political and ethical ramifications of that idea. And I must also admit that I was by then working in an environment where philosophical and political discussions with some extremely bright people (most of them considerably more mature and experienced than I was at the time) encompassing hours, days, and even weeks were the norm -- so I cannot say my change from Libbie to Capitalist was the result solely of solitary contemplation undertaken while tripping.

pinky


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2466012 -

I notice a lot of the liberals here consider it to be unfathomable

Really? Where did you notice these "lots of liberals"? There's been me and Learyfan so far. Who else have you seen?

I don't consider it "unfathomable" either.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: Xlea321]
    #2466031 -

There have been others who don't post here as often. You and Learyfan are in good company.


--------------------


"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2466034 -

That have said anything on this topic? Got any names?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: Xlea321]
    #2466043 -

I don't have the time to search, but I've heard several such comments. Even if my use of the word "many" was inaccurate, my point still stands.


--------------------


"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2466053 -

Not sure if this is a political view but... Most of the people in the world are ignorant sheep who cannot be allowed to see the truth because they will blow their brains out. The government must protect its assets in order to keep the ignorant but not stupid people happy. And equality is a dream of the hippies. I guess I turned republican after I took those first five grams.


--------------------



http://www.myspace.com/4th25


"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: downforpot]
    #2466133 -

Most of the people in the world are ignorant sheep who cannot be allowed to see the truth because they will blow their brains out.

Ok...Hitler :smirk:


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: Xlea321]
    #2466168 -

Quote:
Really? Where did you notice these "lots of liberals"?




Careful now. You're dangerously close to copyright enfringement(tm).


--------------------
I am what Willis was talkin' bout.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2466866 -

I'm kind of sick and tired of the implication that the use of or the non use of a specific drug makes you into a particular person. I'm probably one of the few people that didn't really try any sort of drug until I was in my late 20's to early 30's. My political beliefs are separate from any psychedelic experience that I've had. To be honest with you, the last thing I think about when I'm tripping balls is this forum or politics in general. I'm usually too occupied with how cool a tree looks.

So to answer your question, No.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2466916 -

when i'm tripping i could care less about politics. I'd imagine it would seem very trivial and ridiculous to be worrying or pondering different political issues while tripping. It's so below all the amazing things you think of when you trip.

Now i do think about social issues and the world and wish i could make stuff better, but i doesn't affect the way i think about the president or the environment or the war in iraq or whatever..i guess that's cuz i've always been pretty liberal though. I'd be suprised as hell if one day after a strong mushroom trip i woke up the next day and said "BY GOD MAN! Those republicans are right, fuck the homeless! fuck the needy! fuck the environment! fuck all arabs! that doesn't seem like something that would be a result of a good positive trip. heh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2466983 -

Quote:
when i'm tripping i could care less about politics. I'd imagine it would seem very trivial and ridiculous to be worrying or pondering different political issues while tripping.




Not to mention how boring that trip would be.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2467086 -

I'd be suprised as hell if one day after a strong mushroom trip i woke up the next day and said "BY GOD MAN! Those republicans are right, fuck the homeless! fuck the needy! fuck the environment! fuck all arabs! that doesn't seem like something that would be a result of a good positive trip. heh

Me too. Certainly never seen any cultural reference to right-wingers endorsing psychedelic use. The values psychedelics emphasise would seem to be directly opposite to those pushed by the republican party.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Have psychedelics changed your political views? [Re: Xlea321]
    #2467232 -

Quote:
The values psychedelics emphasise would seem to be directly opposite to those pushed by the republican party




I don't see the democrates changing anything either, it's against both their nature to please the people it seems.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Political views of friends and family silversoul7 1,483 17 05/28/03 11:52 AM
by Azmodeus
* Political View Results
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Innvertigo 12,159 77 12/15/03 01:20 PM
by Anonymous
* What are your political views?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
RonoS 5,418 65 02/27/03 08:21 AM
by ClosetCase
* What are your political views? Phluck 1,283 19 01/15/03 07:14 AM
by Phred
* Post moved from Political Views forum Jammer 631 4 01/08/03 08:39 PM
by Jammer
* What is your favorite political party??? Cornholio 1,518 13 08/21/03 05:53 PM
by silversoul7
* have your views changed since coming here?
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 2,874 55 09/04/03 10:51 AM
by Innvertigo
* The Politics of Canada
( 1 2 all )
machineelf368 3,115 25 12/13/02 10:30 AM
by 1stimer

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
5,713 topic views. 0 members, 16 guests and 67 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.073 seconds spending 0.045 seconds on 22 queries.