Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelifeiswhatyoumake
ya ya ya wompum wompum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping * 3
    #24549303 - 08/12/17 11:55 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

I'm going on an epic four day and three night camping trip this coming up weekend, with day four entailing the solar eclipse!

My friends seem to be choosing to sleep in hammocks instead of tents.

I have never really used a hammock, let alone one for camping.  I did go buy one today, though, and I'm super pumped.  I got the double nest Eno with extra long suspension cables.

I imagine the main concerns with this are biting bugs and rain.

The bug net is like $55 for Eno hammock, which is pretty pricey.

The rain tarp for Eno hammock is more, like $65.

Is it a smart choice to not buy the bug net and just spray a shit load of bug spray on me before going to sleep?  I don't see this working for more than a few hours, though, and then I'll wake up as the buffet to all the mosquitoes in the area.

Can I just use a generic tarp to put over myself if it starts raining, instead of the "official" Eno tarp?

Any one do this before?  Thoughts or tips you want to share?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenuds
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia, NSW Flag
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: lifeiswhatyoumake]
    #24549316 - 08/13/17 12:01 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Maybe for future reference, check out a swag. They're relatively cheap considering how long they last, they're light, portable, tough. Mine is 10+yrs old and is still in perfect nick. They'll keep you comfier and warmer than sleeping in a hammock. Hammocks are only good for sleeping in on lazy afternoons, not for camping.

Camping and getting out is awesome, but it's also nice to save as much comfort as you can, for your own sake. Sleeping slathered in oily insect repellents isn't my cuppa, nor is having to worry about waking up to the patter of rain on my face, or a chilly wind having just enough bite to keep me awake.

Seriously, have a look at swags :thumbup:

InvisibleCowb0yNeal00S
Howdy
 User Gallery

Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: lifeiswhatyoumake]
    #24549320 - 08/13/17 12:02 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Ya hammocks are fine, just make sure to get a bug net! Screw the tarp though. Just make sure it doesnt rain when your going!
The bug net should come with the hammock.

OfflineaZombie
Yugen
Male User Gallery

Loc: CactiNation
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: Cowb0yNeal00]
    #24549326 - 08/13/17 12:04 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

I second. Check out an awesome swag aside from the hammocks

--------------------

OfflineAnt89
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: nuds] * 1
    #24549443 - 08/13/17 01:13 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Quote:

nuds said:
Maybe for future reference, check out a swag. They're relatively cheap considering how long they last, they're light, portable, tough. Mine is 10+yrs old and is still in perfect nick. They'll keep you comfier and warmer than sleeping in a hammock. Hammocks are only good for sleeping in on lazy afternoons, not for camping.

Camping and getting out is awesome, but it's also nice to save as much comfort as you can, for your own sake. Sleeping slathered in oily insect repellents isn't my cuppa, nor is having to worry about waking up to the patter of rain on my face, or a chilly wind having just enough bite to keep me awake.

Actually hammocks are great for camping and with a pad you will be far more comfortable than a tent

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2:
:whathesaid:

OnlineLogicaL Chaos
UFOs are Real
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #24549534 - 08/13/17 02:15 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Just lay a bug net over your body like a blaket.

I would buy a tent, cut holes for the hammock, and have a hammack-tent hybrid, but thata just me.

--------------------
Wanna See some amazing military aircraft? Check out the nearest, strange-looking military base near you.
:sunny: Oregon Eclipse Festival :: Aug 19th to 21st :: I got to visit Paradise. :sunny:
:sanpedro::bongload:  Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana - This is Pure Psychedelic Synergy:bongload::sanpedro:
:rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Method (WARNING: NOT FOR NOOBIES!) :rainbowdrink:
:shpongle:Shpongle said: Like the Universe sitting on your face, Plugged into Gaia's Brain, in a Wyrd dripping Cavernous Labyrinth.
Following the String of Semi-Madness, Brain Gymnastics, Sonic Elastics, Frying the Mind Circuits.:shpongle:
:coaster:
My Simple Mycelium (Ps. cubenis) Cultivation & Extraction Project

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
The Motherfucking Sandwich Queen
Female User Gallery

Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #24549539 - 08/13/17 02:22 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

And you can use a normal tarp for rain. String it up and out, nbd.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: lifeiswhatyoumake] * 2
    #24549543 - 08/13/17 02:30 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Fair warning, hammocks compress whatever layer of clothes you wear to bed. The wind sweeps right under the hammock and gets freezing. Most people recommend putting something like a thermal pad between you and the hammock that wont be compressed and retain heat. I guess this might not be a huge deal if your camping when the nights will be warm.

Hammocks are a dope way of backpacking light and not dealing with a tent, I just can't sleep in them because im a stomach sleeper and haven't found a real comfortable with of sleeping on my stomach in a hammock.

--------------------
Long live kratom :kratom:

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Vermin Sermon
Male User Gallery

Loc: cloudy mountain tops
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: danielx]
    #24549579 - 08/13/17 03:34 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

^^ everything that danielx said.

--------------------

Invisibleforagedfungus
 User Gallery

Loc: out there
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: ReposadoXochipilli]
    #24550121 - 08/13/17 11:05 AM (3 months, 6 days ago)

User created forum about Hammock camping- https://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/291

InvisibleLophosaurus
suruasohpol

Loc: CA Flag
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: foragedfungus]
    #24550247 - 08/13/17 12:14 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

I use a hammock for backpacking and it's ok. I have an Eno with the bug guard. I string up a light weight tarp if I think that there might be rain. The only problem I have with the hammock is that I always wake up and I'm sunken down into the middle of the hammock instead of being flat and stretched out.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: Lophosaurus]
    #24550475 - 08/13/17 01:41 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

^^^ That's why you get a Hennessy :grin: I always wake up flat in mine. The cut is designed in such a way that you lay diagonally and can get perfectly flat and holds you in place pretty good.

To OP: How cold is it going to get? That's your main consideration. Like DanielX said... it gets colder in a hammock than a tent, you have all that free air rushing underneath you. If it's even remotely not warm, you are going to be cold as shit, it will suck the heat right out of you. NOT fun. In my experience it's anything under about 65 degrees F. The air under you is going to feel about 10-20 degrees colder. A closed cell foam pad inside the hammock, will protect you from the wind and do a good enough job of providing a barrier and some insulation.
Second consideration... what is your sleeping bag? A down sleeping bag is basically useless in a hammock - the side all your weight is on (under you - where you need it the most) is compressed and has little to no insulation qualities. So bring a synthetic sleeping bag. It's not as comfortable as sleeping in the hammock without it, but you NEED that cold protection.

You can also get a "underquilt" which is like a down sleeping bag you attach to the outside of the hammock, those are the best solution, but are $$$. Unless you own a hammock and do a lot of cold weather camping, then I would invest in one.

So, your best bet is probably bringing a closed cell foam pad, and making sure you have a synthetic sleeping bag.

--------------------

Offlinelifeiswhatyoumake
ya ya ya wompum wompum

Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: Shroomism]
    #24550521 - 08/13/17 02:01 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
To OP: How cold is it going to get? That's your main consideration. Like DanielX said... it gets colder in a hammock than a tent, you have all that free air rushing underneath you. If it's even remotely not warm, you are going to be cold as shit, it will suck the heat right out of you. NOT fun. In my experience it's anything under about 65 degrees F. The air under you is going to feel about 10-20 degrees colder. A closed cell foam pad inside the hammock, will protect you from the wind and do a good enough job of providing a barrier and some insulation.

I'll be camping in western mountains of NC.  The low this week seems to average at 66/67 F.  That's awfully close to your number of 65 F.
I am leaning towards bringing a foam pad with me to sleep on in my hammock.

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Second consideration... what is your sleeping bag? A down sleeping bag is basically useless in a hammock - the side all your weight is on (under you - where you need it the most) is compressed and has little to no insulation qualities. So bring a synthetic sleeping bag.

You can also get a "underquilt" which is like a down sleeping bag you attach to the outside of the hammock, those work great but are $$$. Unless you own a hammock and do a lot of cold weather camping, then I would invest in one.

So, your best bet is probably bringing a closed cell foam pad, and making sure you have a synthetic sleeping bag.

If I bring a pad to put under my sleeping bag then would it matter if I have a down sleeping bag? 
I don't have my own official sleeping bag yet.  I was maybe going to borrow a friend's sleeping bag, not sure what kind it is, though.
I appreciate the words of advice.  I have three days to get all I need, so I will consider what you said.

OfflinePatlal
This fucking guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
    #24550541 - 08/13/17 02:08 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

Seems as if a hammock would destroy your lower back

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: Patlal]
    #24550594 - 08/13/17 02:31 PM (3 months, 6 days ago)

It's actually the total exact opposite. Hammock camping is great for people with back problems. If you a lay correctly, you are relieving all the pressure points you normally sleep on. It's some of the best sleep I ever get in the wilderness. People who can't sleep on a tent on the ground because they have bad back problems, CAN usually sleep in a hammock, and wake up feeling great. Comfort level is out of this world.

It's the cold that's the main issue.

Yeah OP.. get yourself a cheap closed cell foam pad, you can get one for like $10 or something. Make sure it's closed cell, not open.
If it's not super cold... then just the foam pad should be enough insulation, even if you have a down bag.

--------------------

OfflineAnt89
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: Shroomism]
    #24550945 - 08/13/17 04:49 PM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Get a pad for sure

And hammocks are fucking awesome and excellent for your body

Lighter to pack around than a tent and much more compact

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2:

Offlinerickpsfuckyou
listening to Mozzy
Male

Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: Ant89]
    #24550987 - 08/13/17 05:02 PM (3 months, 5 days ago)

I used a hammock while island hopping on a coconut boat through the islands in the carribean for like a month. It was awesome the movement of the boat on the waves made the hammock rock me to sleep every night

--------------------

Offlinedirty coyote
Stranger
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: rickpsfuckyou]
    #24551610 - 08/13/17 09:18 PM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Hammocks are great. I've stayed all over western NC and used one extensively. You really do need something under you at night. I usually use one of the smaller air pads and a light down bag with pretty good success. The ENO was a good choice btw, I have a few of those and a Warbonnet Traveler. The Traveler has two layers on the underside so your pad (or whatever - leaves if its really cold) stay put during the night.

Offlinenuds
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia, NSW Flag
Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: Ant89]
    #24552474 - 08/14/17 06:37 AM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Ant89 said:
Quote:

nuds said:

Actually hammocks are great for camping and with a pad you will be far more comfortable than a tent

Thats a matter of difference of opinion. I've done both and prefer a swag.

InvisibleNiffla
Subpar
Male User Gallery

Re: Using a hammock to sleep in for multiple nights in a row outside whilst camping [Re: lifeiswhatyoumake] * 2
    #24552523 - 08/14/17 07:43 AM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

lifeiswhatyoumake said:

I'm going on an epic four day and three night camping trip this coming up weekend, with day four entailing the solar eclipse!

that's fuckin bad ass

i'm envious

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub