Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Laptops on edge of death
    #24525921 -

Anyone got an idea on a good work laptop, Microsoft, needs to be able to run all of Adobes products and various applications smoothly... SSD at least 8 gb ram.. Terabyte memory??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24525932 -

Quote:
8 gb ram.. Terabyte memory??



RAM is memory.  You are not going to get a terabyte of memory. 

You want a terabyte of storage space in a laptop?

For "work laptops" I like thinkpads.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: DieCommie]
    #24525938 -

DieCommie said:
Quote:
8 gb ram.. Terabyte memory??



RAM is memory.  You are not going to get a terabyte of memory. 

You want a terabyte of storage space in a laptop?

For "work laptops" I like thinkpads.



Yes storage space.. thinkpads by what brand do you favor?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24525940 -

Thinkpad is a Lenovo line of laptops.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24525942 -

He means lenovos. I would second that. I prefer the feel of the older thinkpads to the newer more lightweight ones, but they're still good machines, nonetheless.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: DieCommie]
    #24525943 -

DieCommie said:
Thinkpad is a Lenovo line of laptops.



Thanks and average processor speed?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24525946 -

I'd research this, but I would guess yall have the best advice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24525986 -

I'm thinking about grabbing this ThinkPad P40 Yoga Mobile Workstation, 3.4Ghz.. Not a terrible price for what I need to work with..?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24526007 -

I have a Thinkpad as well, older 15" T series (T530i). Prices drop way off for older refurbished ones, the new ones cost a bundle. I think I paid $500 or so for the computer and then I added a 256 GB SSD and upgraded the RAM from 4 GB to 12.

There are a couple of options for storage with mine, potentially you can have two 2.5" drives and/or a mSATA SSD. To add a second 2.5" drive you need an adapter that replaces the optical drive. I got a cheap one off Amazon. Or you could just do a 1 TB SSD, not sure on current prices for those but they're probably still a bundle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: psi]
    #24526028 -

psi said:
I have a Thinkpad as well, older 15" T series (T530i). Prices drop way off for older refurbished ones, the new ones cost a bundle. I think I paid $500 or so for the computer and then I added a 256 GB SSD and upgraded the RAM from 4 GB to 12.

There are a couple of options for storage with mine, potentially you can have two 2.5" drives and/or a mSATA SSD. To add a second 2.5" drive you need an adapter that replaces the optical drive. I got a cheap one off Amazon. Or you could just do a 1 TB SSD, not sure on current prices for those but they're probably still a bundle.



Thanks yeah trying to get a decent deal on this, thanks for the tips.. How you like the laptop? With your specs?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24526071 -

The durability is not as good as I expected given the "mil-spec" claims (exterior plastic has some cracks, latches to close the lid eventually broke, had to replace keyboard when the power switch failed). Internally it has a magnesium alloy frame which is quite solid. One big shortcoming is that they lock out the hardware from using a generic battery, so the $30 generic battery I got when the original one died was useless, and I had to buy a $200 one from them instead.

Overall it serves my needs though. Processing power isn't very important to me (the CPU is an i3-3110M, which was fairly low end for the time) but I needed a fairly high resolution screen for programming, and this was the cheapest option at the time for a 1920x1080 laptop. It's quite heavy though, next time I might go with a lightweight Mac if I have the money.

In general with CPUs the clock speed doesn't really tell you shit unless you're comparing otherwise identical processors, it's better to look up benchmark scores on Passmark. They ahve a big database of scores for different CPUs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24526085 -

I like Asus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: psi]
    #24526092 -

psi said:
The durability is not as good as I expected given the "mil-spec" claims (exterior plastic has some cracks, latches to close the lid eventually broke, had to replace keyboard when the power switch failed). Internally it has a magnesium alloy frame which is quite solid. One big shortcoming is that they lock out the hardware from using a generic battery, so the $30 generic battery I got when the original one died was useless, and I had to buy a $200 one from them instead.

Overall it serves my needs though. Processing power isn't very important to me (the CPU is an i3-3110M, which was fairly low end for the time) but I needed a fairly high resolution screen for programming, and this was the cheapest option at the time for a 1920x1080 laptop. It's quite heavy though, next time I might go with a lightweight Mac if I have the money.

In general with CPUs the clock speed doesn't really tell you shit unless you're comparing otherwise identical processors, it's better to look up benchmark scores on Passmark. They ahve a big database of scores for different CPUs.



Well thanks man, I'm just looking for a decent laptop for programming and the latter, IDK about going to Mac, the time may come..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: Lophosaurus]
    #24526095 -

Lophosaurus said:
I like Asus



I have not looked at their latest stuff, am on a 7 year old ASUS right now.. bulky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24526118 -

My laptop died 3 years after I purchased it.


--------------------
"It's spaghetti time."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: FeedingMyDreams]
    #24526123 -

FeedingMyDreams said:
My laptop tied 3 years after I purchased it.



Last knew the HP laptops still running strong

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft] * 1
    #24526144 -

psi said:
The durability is not as good as I expected given the "mil-spec" claims (exterior plastic has some cracks, latches to close the lid eventually broke, had to replace keyboard when the power switch failed). Internally it has a magnesium alloy frame which is quite solid. One big shortcoming is that they lock out the hardware from using a generic battery, so the $30 generic battery I got when the original one died was useless, and I had to buy a $200 one from them instead.




Unfortunately Lenovo's build quality seems to have gone downhill in the past years.. the original thinkpads were durable as fuck workhorses, they seem to have moved to cheaper materials in some areas or something.They are still better quality than most laptops and usually offer some of the best value for specs.. but I don't think they are as good as they used to be.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: Shroomism]
    #24526183 -

Shroomism said:
psi said:
The durability is not as good as I expected given the "mil-spec" claims (exterior plastic has some cracks, latches to close the lid eventually broke, had to replace keyboard when the power switch failed). Internally it has a magnesium alloy frame which is quite solid. One big shortcoming is that they lock out the hardware from using a generic battery, so the $30 generic battery I got when the original one died was useless, and I had to buy a $200 one from them instead.




Unfortunately Lenovo's build quality seems to have gone downhill in the past years.. the original thinkpads were durable as fuck workhorses, they seem to have moved to cheaper materials in some areas or something.They are still better quality than most laptops and usually offer some of the best value for specs.. but I don't think they are as good as they used to be.



And whats your opinion on a new laptop?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: thelastoneleft]
    #24526231 -

Re-purchase after 3 years.


--------------------
"It's spaghetti time."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Laptops on edge of death [Re: FeedingMyDreams]
    #24526256 -

I am partial to dell becouse my last laptop was a decent dell which has lasted years.

Got a sweet deal on a Dell pc awhile back while they had a sale on their site.


--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* What's your closest encounter with death?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
YouEnjoyMyself 9,823 69 02/19/08 11:21 PM
by C20H25N3O
* damn laptop pixel burnt out!
( 1 2 all )
Smallworlds 3,723 26 05/03/15 04:25 PM
by psi
* man leaps to death on shrooms!
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Thin White Duke 6,217 64 05/07/05 01:21 PM
by TODAY
* 9 year old girl stabs her friend to death - disturbing tale.
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 4,265 28 06/02/05 01:54 AM
by HELLA_TIGHT
* Looking at laptops ShroomismM 1,969 17 12/15/04 09:54 PM
by djfrog
* My Stupid Laptop
( 1 2 all )
CherryBomM 2,135 29 07/09/05 12:16 AM
by CherryBom
* Best Laptops for college? LthirdSeyeD 1,200 10 03/23/05 08:19 PM
by RedNucleus
* Looking for a laptop, any suggestions?
( 1 2 all )
IllicitAlchemist 1,993 22 08/23/05 06:20 PM
by In(di)go

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
478 topic views. 7 members, 268 guests and 290 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.