Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Today in psychedelic history (07/27)
    #12960364 - 07/27/10 08:01 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

• 1964:  Ken Kesey releases the novel Sometimes A Great Notion

Quote:

Sometimes a Great Notion is Ken Kesey's second novel, published in 1964. While One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1962) is arguably more famous, many critics consider Sometimes a Great Notion Kesey's magnum opus. The story involves an Oregon family of gyppo loggers who cut and procure trees for a local mill in opposition to striking, unionized workers.

Kesey took the title from the song “Goodnight, Irene”, popularized by Lead Belly.

Sometimes I lives in the country
    Sometimes I lives in town
    Sometimes I take a great notion
    To jump into the river an’ drown

Reception

Initial reviews of the book ran to both extremes, but its reputation has aged well. Charles Bowden calls it "one of the few essential books written by an American in the last half century." It is widely considered among the masterpieces of Western American literature. In 1997, a panel of Northwest writers voted it number one in a list of "12 Essential Northwest Works". One book critic has described it as "what may well be the quintessential Northwest novel".

Author Ken Kesey
Country United States
Language English
Publisher Viking Press
Publication date
July 27, 1964
Media type Print (Hardback and Paperback)
Pages 715 pp
OCLC 71045661
Dewey Decimal
813/.54 22
LC Class PS3561.E667 S6 2006

(https://en.wikipedia.org)

• 1967:  LSD and DMT become illegal in Wisconsin

Quote:

Anti LSD Bill Becomes Law

MADISON (AP) — Gov. Warren P. Knowles signed a bill in-to law Thursday [July 27, 1967] making possession or use of the hallucinogenic drug LSD (lysergic acid! diethylamide) illegal in Wisconsin. The measure outlaws LSD and DMT (Dimethyltryptamine and provides a maximum one year jail sentence and $500 fine for first conviction. Further violations are punishable by two years in jail and a Simon fine. Michigan and California also ban LSD. Despite repeated warnings by doctors, LSD has gained wide popularity in beatnik circles at many college campuses. Madison Police Chief Wilbur Emery has estimated that 300 students at the University of Wisconsin are frequent users of either LSD or marijuana.

(Wisconsin Manitowoc Herald-Times Manitowoc Wisconsin 28 Jul 1967 Fri Page 11)

• 1968:  The Who release the single for "Magic Bus"

Quote:

"Magic Bus" is a song written by Pete Townshend during the time that My Generation was being recorded in 1965. However, it was not recorded by The Who until 1968 and officially released in the US in September of 1968.  It is one of the band's most popular songs and has been a concert staple. The record reached #26 in the United Kingdom and #25 in the United States.

The song's arrangement uses a Latin percussion instrument known as claves. These are pairs of small wooden sticks that make a distinctive high pitched clicking noise when struck together. The Who previously used this same instrument on the song "Disguises", which was recorded in 1966.

The song makes use of the Bo Diddley beat.

Background

The song was not recorded by The Who at the time it was written, but the band's management and music publisher circulated a Townshend demo recording of the song in 1966. A version was released as a single in the UK in April 1967 by an obscure band called The Pudding, in the UK on Decca and in the US on London's Press label. It was not a hit.

The song is usually performed as a duet, where the "Rider", usually singer Roger Daltrey when live, is riding on the bus every day to see his girl. In the song he asks the "Driver", usually Townshend, if he can buy the bus from him, with the driver's initial answer being no. After haggling for a while, the driver finally lets him have it and he vows to drive it to his girlfriend's house every day.

The original LP and cassette of the Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy compilation album featured a longer alternate studio take of "Magic Bus" in fake stereo which was not included on the original compact disc version because the true stereo or mono source could not be found for the long version of the song.[citation needed] However, on 25 July 2007, Universal Japan re-released the album in a mini-LP sleeve that includes the long alternate version of "Magic Bus" in fake stereo, as on the original album. This longer mix features a slightly different arrangement and does not fade out at the end.

The song appeared in the band's 1979 film The Kids Are Alright taken from a 1968 performance. It was subsequently released on The Kids Are Alright film soundtrack. That version is the mono single version, but slowed down, resulting in the song being a semi-tone lower in pitch.

B-side "Someone's Coming" (US)
"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" (UK)
"Mary Anne with the Shaky Hand"(Norway)
Released 27 July 1968 (US)
18 September 1968 (UK)
Format 7" vinyl
Recorded 29 May 1968 at Advision Studios, London and mixed at Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles sometime between 30 June and 7 July 1968
Genre Blues rock, psychedelic rock
Length 3:21
Label Track Records 604024 (UK)
Decca Records 32362 (US)
Writer(s) Pete Townshend
Producer Kit Lambert

Magic Bus

A: MAGIC BUS

B: UK: DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE (Alternate Mix)

B: US: SOMEONE’S COMING
UK: Track 604 024. Released: October 11, 1968, Highest chart position: #26.
US: Decca 32362. Released: July 27, 1968. Highest chart position: #25.
MAGIC BUS written by Pete Townshend. Produced by Kit Lambert. Recorded at Advision Studios, London, May 29, 1968 and mixed at Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles sometime between 30 June and 7 July 1968.
SOMEONE’S COMING written by John Entwistle. Produced by Kit Lambert. Recorded at CBS Studios, London, May 23, 1967 with horns and vocal overdubs added at CBS, Hollywood on August 17, 1967.
DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE written by John Entwistle. Produced by Kit Lambert Recorded at IBC Studios, London, January 5, 1968

(https://www.thewho.com)

• 1977:  The Grateful Dead release the album Terrapin Station

Quote:

Terrapin Station is the ninth studio album by the Grateful Dead, and was originally released on July 27, 1977.

This album was the first time since Anthem of the Sun that the Grateful Dead used an outside producer. This is also the first Grateful Dead album on the Arista label after releasing other albums (1973-1976) on its own Grateful Dead Records.

According to Dennis McNally, Jerry Garcia conceived the idea for the song "Terrapin Station" while driving across the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

The album was released for the first time on CD in 1990 by Arista Records before being re-released in 2000 by BMG International. It was then remastered, expanded, and released as part of the Beyond Description (1973-1989) box set in October 2004 with studio outtakes and live songs. The remastered version was later released separately on CD on March 7, 2006 by Rhino Records.

The album incorporates a more symphonic sound bordering on progressive rock styles that were expressed earlier by progressive art rock groups like Yes and Genesis. This was considered by fans to be a major departure from the more jazz-blues and traditional folk styles used by the Grateful Dead earlier in their career, although these elements are still present here. The title track uses strings and a choir to evoke a tighter and more complex structure as opposed to their looser improvisational works. Horns are also employed extensively to "funk up" their sound.

The Grateful Dead played the first two parts of Terrapin Station, and the songs "Estimated Prophet" and "Samson and Delilah" in concert rotation until the end of their career, usually as part of the second set. "Terrapin" was played some 302 times live starting on February 26th 1977 at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, California.

Reaction to the album was mixed as many fans thought that it was overproduced and not in keeping with the Grateful Dead's more unpolished free-form style, while others believe it to be their greatest musical achievement.

The song, "Lady with a Fan" was co-written by Robert Hunter and Jerry Garcia. Robert Hunter said of the song, "I wrote Terrapin, Part One, at a single sitting in an unfurnished house with a picture window overlooking San Francisco Bay during a flamboyant lightning storm. I typed the first thing that came into my mind at the top of the page, the title: Terrapin Station."

"On the same day, driving to the city, Garcia was struck by a singular inspiration. He turned his car around and hurried home to set down some music that popped into his head, demanding immediate attention."

"When we met the next day, I showed him the words and he said, "I've got the music." They dovetailed perfectly and Terrapin edged into this dimension."

Track listing

Side one

1. "Estimated Prophet" (John Perry Barlow, Bob Weir) – 5:37
  2. "Dancing in the Street" (Marvin Gaye, Ivy Jo Hunter, William "Mickey" Stevenson) – 3:16
  3. "Passenger" (Phil Lesh, Peter Monk) – 2:48
  4. "Samson and Delilah" (Traditional) – 3:29
  5. "Sunrise" (Donna Godchaux) – 4:03

Side two

6. "Terrapin Station Part One" – 16:17

* "Lady With a Fan" (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter)
        * "Terrapin Station" (Garcia, Hunter)
        * "Terrapin" (Garcia, Hunter)
        * "Terrapin Transit" (Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann)
        * "At a Siding" (Hart, Hunter)
        * "Terrapin Flyer" (Hart, Kreutzmann)
        * "Refrain" (Garcia, Hunter)

• 2020:  William Leonard Pickard is released from prison

Quote:

Rob William Leonard Pickard (born October 21, 1945) is one of two people convicted in the largest lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) manufacturing case in history. In 2000, while moving their LSD laboratory across Kansas, Pickard and Clyde Apperson were pulled over while driving a Ryder rental truck and a follow car. The laboratory had been stored near a renovated Atlas-E missile silo near Wamego, Kansas. Gordon Todd Skinner, one of the men intimately involved in the case but not charged due to his cooperation, owned the property where the laboratory equipment was stored.

On July 27, 2020, Pickard was granted compassionate release from federal prison 20 years into his sentence.

Imprisonment

While serving two life sentences at the U.S. Penitentiary at Tucson, Arizona, Pickard conducted research on civil liberties, justice and drug-related topics. He wrote of his concerns about the opioid epidemic in the United States, and responded to media and academic requests on the subject. The website "Free William Leonard Pickard" posted regular updates about his activities until September 2017. In 2015 he published a novel, The Rose of Paracelsus.

Pickard discussed his imprisonment with Seth Ferranti in 2016: "While doing research in unstable regions abroad, amid the chaos, I found my way by noticing the instances of humanity. Captive populations are similar; courtesy and service to others is the only path. ... long-term prisoners, especially the nonviolent who may be captive for decades, somehow retain a certain dignity. In all these years, lost among the thousands, I have seen only one man cry." He described teaching a fellow inmate to read: "it was a privilege each morning to teach reading to an illiterate black man in his forties. We laughed sometimes, but always yearned for our families ... He hid Jack and Jill from his cellmate, so others would not ridicule him. I asked why he wanted to learn. He replied, 'So I can read bedtime stories to my children.' How very brave he was."

On July 27, 2020, Pickard was released from prison on compassionate grounds with the court citing his advanced age and medical conditions in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Apperson was also released.

Edited by Learyfan (07/25/21 08:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBuddha420
Psychonaut

Loc: Mobil, Alabama
Re: Today in psychedelic history [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #12960375 - 07/27/10 08:05 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the info.

--------------------
Psychedelic Salon - changing our minds, one thought at a time

Religion - George Carlin, R.I.P.

BLUE CHAMPS!!! Chelsea FC - 09/10

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history [Re: Buddha420]
    #12961085 - 07/27/10 11:58 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

No problem.  Here's the full Terrapin Station album.

Edited by Learyfan (07/27/14 03:52 PM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history [Re: Buddha420]
    #14831529 - 07/27/11 05:50 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (07/27/14 03:53 PM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history [Re: Learyfan]
    #16597958 - 07/27/12 05:54 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (07/27) [Re: Learyfan]
    #18618925 - 07/27/13 09:02 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

45th anniversary of "Magic Bus" today

--------------------

OfflineShortknight
Male

Re: Today in psychedelic history (07/27) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #18618950 - 07/27/13 09:08 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Great read!

:sunny:Shorty:sunny:

--------------------
Did I say it too loud? Big heart? Or a little misleading!:musicnote:

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: Today in psychedelic history (07/27) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #18618954 - 07/27/13 09:08 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Love the song, hate the shitty lip-synch in the video.  :shrug:

Think I'll just listen to the tune on Itunes to commemorate the occasion.  Thanks once again for an excellent blast from the past.  BTW...the art work on that bus is AMAZING!!!!  So classic!!!  So trippy!!!

N.B.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (07/27) [Re: Nature Boy] * 1
    #18619092 - 07/27/13 10:04 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

:cool:  Rock on guys.  Here's the b-side of both the UK and US release of "Magic Bus".  I prefer the latter. 

"Someone's Coming" (US)

"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" (UK)

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (07/27/14 03:54 PM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#20338515 - 07/27/14 03:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#22002960 - 07/27/15 05:45 AM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#23481311 - 07/27/16 05:39 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineAVShroomer
LSD enthusiast
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#23483745 - 07/27/16 08:36 PM (7 years, 7 months ago)

I love that GD album! Also Id love to read some of ken kesey books I've never read any of his stuff but I know about his history with the merry pranksters and what he did in the psychedelic movement he would have been a really crazy/cool dude to chill with back in the day that's forsure! ;p

--------------------

'It's not a war on drugs its a war on personal freedom'
>**My Trip Journal**<

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (07/27) [Re: AVShroomer]
    #24511098 - 07/27/17 05:43 AM (6 years, 7 months ago)

Yep and it's the 40th anniversary of Terrapin Station today!

--------------------

Offlinekidcozy
Toe Jam
Male

#24511775 - 07/27/17 01:04 PM (6 years, 7 months ago)

some rise, some fall, some climb
to get to Terrapin.

Just loaded up the vinyl thanks :smile:

--------------------
"So the kids they dance, and shake their bones."

Lurking.....

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (07/27) [Re: kidcozy]
    #25349812 - 07/27/18 06:36 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

:cool:  And today is the 50th anniversary of "Magic Bus" by The Who.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#26847120 - 07/27/20 04:07 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#27403822 - 07/27/21 04:55 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

William Leonard Pickard was released from prison 1 year ago today. A shocking turn of events. No matter what your opinion of Pickard is, I was and am very happy to see him out.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#27878777 - 07/27/22 05:04 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#28409857 - 07/27/23 04:10 AM (7 months, 18 days ago)

55th anniversary of "Magic Bus" today.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale