Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
Gospel of Thomas
    #2403853 - 03/04/04 06:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

theres been much discussion of christianity lately. this is my favorite gospel. it seems that christs disciples werent nessasarily the most faithful or "christian" or spiritual...they are used almost as a way to show how not to ehave, think, act. much of jesus' teachings usually seem above their heads. i dunno, im no scholar or anything, it just stood out as i was reading.

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecleaner
Stranger

Re: Gospel of Thomas [Re: Atomisk]
    #2404502 - 03/04/04 09:02 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I wanted to say something but then i took a rip
:bong:
and forgot what it was  :eyemouth:

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2404701 - 03/04/04 09:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

They may have made the movie 'Stigmata' about the Gospel According to Thomas, but if you want to read a much much more radical Gospel, then find a copy of The Gospel of Mary Magdalene. I read it recently. It has been known for about 150 years, and depicts a stream of early Christian tradition which the Church was even more motivated to wipe out than a mere threat to priestly power like the Thomas material. No, the Gospel attributed to Mary (Mariam) clearly states that she, not John, was the Beloved Disciple. That DaVinci's 'Last Supper' illustrates Mary (unless John had breasts) as the Beloved Disciple is unmistakable.

There is a parallel with the Osirus and Isis mythos in these two, or, Jesus as Logos [and hence Love, or Compassion], and Mary as Sophia [Wisdom]. Like the Yab-Yum cosmic copulating couple in Tibetan Buddhism, Jesus and Mary reflect the Masculine AND [suppressed] Feminine of the Godhead. That Yahweh in ancient times was said to have Asherah as His Eternal Consort, or that the Wisdom literature of the Old Testament and Pseudepigripha speak of Wisdom as 'The Breath of God,' or, 'the Spirit of God,' has long been minimalized. Where is the Eternal Feminine in the Hebrew word 'Abba' or Father? Nowhere evident. But the Aramaic word 'Abwoon' means 'Cosmic Mother-Father' or 'Cosmic Birther.'

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Gospel of Thomas [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2404952 - 03/04/04 11:01 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

So jesus had a gf? And he looked on her the highest?

Where is this going... i am very interested! Reminds me of the movie Revelation. very strange movie... but interesting none the less. Learned about a girl named mary magdeline. the girl in the movie was saying that how their was a church consipracy to cover up the affair between the two. Ive also heard other rumors they had a child... i really dont know. but i would be interested to know more about it.

--------------------
What?

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Gospel of Thomas [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2405096 - 03/04/04 11:39 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I believe the whole purpose and intentions of Jesus have been completely misunderstood.

Jesus supposedly claimed that once his death would come, his name would no longer be good, and people would use it wrongly, and for their own gain.

www.essene.com

I believe we are living in the time in which Jesus' true teachings will arise.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Gospel of Thomas [Re: Zero7a1]
    #2408207 - 03/08/04 05:16 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Mary wasn't just a girl friend. No one in any tradition about Jesus is going to be 'just' anything. The tradition continues that Mary and her servant girl, John and perhaps another, left for Gaul (France) where Mary bore a girl-child named Sarah, who in turn began what became the Merovingian blood-line. I personally, do not subscribe to a blood-line begun with Jesus, but there is some scant evidence that He had a wife, if even an unconventional (for the time) marriage. For example, He spoke often in the Temple, and only married men, who were 'whole,' that is, who had integrated their sexuality (a recognizably important creative aspect of one's soul), were permitted to speak to others in the Temple.

Mary has the exalted position of having been the first to witness the Resurrection (whatever that actually entailed), and was a woman to boot!! She, with Mary (Jesus' mother) and John (again) were the only one's courageous enough to stick around for the crucifixion. There were many female followers of Jesus, including Mary Magdalen, yet none of them merited being called disciples or apostles. Women were not looked down upon by Jesus any more than tax collectors, wine bibbers or lepers. History would eventually reveal that many women followers would be executed in horrible ways for their faith - no less was their courage than the males. The image of the lone spiritual hero - in the desert, on the mountain, in the garden, could also turn water to wine (and symbolically taken is yet another illustration [midrash] about celebration, a time of rejoicing - l'chaim !! - 'to Life!!') - may need to be expanded by many to include another side of Jesus.

That side, was sometimes confounded/confused by the early Christians and sometimes illustrated as Jesus-Dionysus. Because of this wine-favoring, joy-filled Jesus, some people have suggested a pagan, non-Jewish Jesus. This is unfortunate because it is a theme that Hitler himself employed in the Lutheran churches as a step toward the elimination of the Jewish Jesus, Christianity itself, and the new religion of the solar swastika, i.e., nazism. It is more 'fruitful' (pun intended) to see Jesus as the completeness of all that was symbolized by say, the Greek pantheon of gods AND goddesses, in One being, from within Judaism, as examples of what it means to be Jews; and perhaps seeing Jesus and Mary as the spiritual Sun and Moon (Blood/Wine & Water, Masculine & Feminine, New Adam & Eve, Compassion & Wisdom) respectively.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2410402 - 03/09/04 08:38 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Atomisk, I hate to be a pain, but which gospel are you talking about? I looked, and there isn't a Gospel of Thomas.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Gospel of Thomas [Re: Frog]
    #2410555 - 03/09/04 09:36 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Gospel of Thomas [Re: gnrm23]
    #2410810 - 03/09/04 11:05 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

lol!  I will start reading, tyvm.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #2410863 - 03/09/04 11:30 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Check out a book called "The Gnostic Gospels" - it talks about many of the other "gnostic" gospels, including the Gospel of Thomas... I read it as research for a paper I wrote about introducing spiritual discovery in modern western society again... very interesting stuff. Also read "The Varieties of the Mystical Experience" by William James... good reading on the subject.

:gd_icon: Krishna

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Gospel of Thomas [Re: Krishna]
    #2412070 - 03/09/04 07:11 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

The reason that the Gospel of Thomas gets more attention than the other Gnostic gospels is because a)it isn't clearly Gnostic in origin, and most importantly b) scholars believe that it is the oldest and most accurate record of Jesus' sayings. The other Gnostic traditions weren't written down until much later. They have even less authority than the cannonical gospels.
I'd say after Thomas, Mark and then Matthew are the most authentic records of Jesus (save for the Epistles which were written within a decade of Jesus' death).

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Edited by Divided_Sky (03/09/04 07:12 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom