Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims
    #2403195 - 03/04/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1162151,00.html

Quote:

Bush 9/11 ads spark anger

Staff and agencies
Thursday March 4, 2004

President George Bush's re-election campaign ran into trouble today after he was accused of delivering a "slap in the face" to the victims of the September 11 attacks by using images of the atrocity in television adverts.
A ?5.5m advertising campaign, which began today in 17 key election states, marked the opening round of Mr Bush's counter-attack against his Democratic challenger Senator John Kerry.

One of the 30-second commercials includes a brief clip of a body, wrapped in the American flag, being lifted from the wreckage of New York's World Trade Centre. Firefighters, who emerged as heroes of the rescue effort, also feature in the adverts.

But the campaign appeared to have backfired badly today as relatives of those killed on September 11 accused the president of exploiting the tragedy to boost his political career.

"It's a slap in the face of the murders of 3,000 people. It is unconscionable," said Monica Gabrielle, whose husband died in the attacks on the twin towers.

Tom Roger, whose daughter was a flight attendant on American Airlines Flight 11, said: "I would be less offended if he showed a picture of himself in front of the Statue of Liberty. But to show the horror of 9/11 in the background, that's just some advertising agency's attempt to grab people by the throat," he told the New York Daily News.

Firefighter Tommy Fee called the adverts "sick", adding: "The image of firefighters at Ground Zero should not be used for this stuff, for politics."

The intended message of the adverts is "steady leadership in times of change". To stirring music, Mr Bush tells viewers: "I know exactly what we need to do to make the world more free and peaceful."

Republican campaigners defended the commercials, saying that the September 11 was a "defining" moment in America's history.

Campaign manager Ken Mehlman said: "Because of that day, America is at war and still is."

Karen Hughes, a Bush campaign adviser, told CBS television's The Early Show: "Obviously, all of us mourn and grieve for the victims of that terrible day, but September 11 fundamentally changed our public policy in many important ways, and I think it's vital that the next president recognise that."

The adverts went to air a day after Massachusetts senator John Kerry effectively secured the Democratic candidacy after sweeping aside his rivals in the primaries.

His only credible challenger for the nomination, John Edwards, pulled out of the campaign after Mr Kerry continued his run of success in yesterday's "Super Tuesday" ballots.

Amid sagging approval ratings, Mr Bush's re-election team has decided to take an early shot at Mr Kerry, with the president backing up the adverts by making his first direct attack on his prospective opponent in a speech at a Republican fund-raiser in Los Angeles.

At the event, which gathered more than ?400,000 for his re-election war chest, Mr Bush said the 19-year Senate veteran had been "in Washington long enough to take both sides on just about every issue".

He said the election, which will be held in November, provided a choice "between an America that leads the world with strength and confidence, or an America that is uncertain in the face of danger".

He said: "The man who sits in the Oval Office will set the course of the war on terror and the direction of our economy. My opponent hasn't offered much in the way of strategies to win the war, or policies to expand our economy. So far, all we hear from that side is a lot of old bitterness and partisan anger."

Meanwhile, talk show host Jerry Springer today signalled that he is to revive his political career by helping the Democratic campaign in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he once served as mayor.

Springer, 60, who ran unsuccessfully for state governor in the city in 1982, wants to help the Democrats with the local campaign in this November's general elections, his spokesman Dale Butland told the Associated Press. He is moving back to Ohio from his home in Chicago, where the Jerry Springer Show is filmed.

:nonono:

what a dirty, tasteless man...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: Blastrid]
    #2403213 - 03/04/04 04:54 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Anyone who was pres when the attacks happened would have done the same.

Weak complaint.
Weak article.
Weaker post.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2403316 - 03/04/04 05:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

That doesn?t excuse Bush. He should be ashamed of himself for exploiting 9-11 and the people who died in that tragedy.

Fuck him. What does 9-11 have to do with his fucking re-election campain. What a piece of shit. LDS, you?re a reasonable person. I can?t believe how you let this shit slide and make excuses for him.

:mad2:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: Learyfan]
    #2403342 - 03/04/04 05:25 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

That doesn't excuse Bush.

He doesn't need an excuse. It's his right to use whatever images he wishes.

Quote:

He should be ashamed of himself for exploiting 9-11 and the people who died in that tragedy.
Exploit? Right.  :rolleyes:

Quote:

What does 9-11 have to do with his fucking re-election campain.

Hello? It was a major event that happened during his presidency. He'd be a fool NOT to use it.

Quote:

I can't believe how you let this shit slide and make excuses for him.

I can't believe you've fallen far enough to describe that as "making excuses". You're better than that.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2403345 - 03/04/04 05:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: ]
    #2403371 - 03/04/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

You'd be cmoplaining too if it was a democratic president doing the same thing and you know it.

I'd think you'd get tired of being wrong.

Quote:

Are you not capable of simply admitting that it's fucked up whether it's a democrat OR a republican doing it?

Are you incapable of not trying to read my mind? I don't think it's in any way wrong, no matter which party did it.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#2403406 - 03/04/04 05:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think using images of the 9-11 tragedy is a sneaky way of saying that Bush's rival(Kerry) is "with the terrorists".

At the end of the commercial the narrator might as well say "Vote for Bush if you love the victims of 9-11. You don't hate the victims of 9-11............. DO YOU?

If anything Bush should be avoiding references to 9-11 altogether. It happened under his watch and he never caught the guy who did it after he promised us he would.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2403431 - 03/04/04 05:49 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I think using images of the 9-11 tragedy is a sneaky way of saying that Bush's rival(Kerry) is "with the terrorists".

I'm sure you do. I'm equally sure that if Kerry used the WTC in an anti Bush ad, you'd say nothing.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2403458 - 03/04/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

it's completely innappropriate to exploit the tragedy of 9/11 for political gain, but I expected this to happen. if you think about it, that's all Bush has to hang on to at this point. forget about the half trillion dollar deficit, or the three million lost jobs (NO don't think about it!) - just keep bombarding people with images of 9/11 and scare them with talk of hundreds of tons of chemical weapons and mushroom clouds - just keep pounding it in their heads. he offers no hope, so leading by fear is the best he can do.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2403514 - 03/04/04 06:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

This is all incomprehensible to me. A major event occurred while he was president. He feels he dealt with it well and it should be on his resume. (If you were head of a disaster relief org. and there was a hurricane and you spearheaded relief efforts, wouldn't you include it on your resume?) If he didn't mention it people would think he was ashamed of what he did. He's trying to keep his job, it is a resume.

I don't know how many of you live near NYC but this whole thing has drawn from the whole gamut of possible opinions here. Really, there is no shortage of views that you could find if you interview, well, basically several million people affected locally. The survivors and whatnot are not a unified group. The debate of the memorial has been hideously brutal over whether cop and firemen names should be separate from people who were working in the buildings.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2403523 - 03/04/04 06:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

This is all incomprehensible to me.

Because you have enough sense to realize it doesn't matter.

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2403528 - 03/04/04 06:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

He's trying to keep his job, it is a resume

you'd put THAT on your resume!?

"I presided over two of the greatest intelligence failures in American history, please re-hire me"

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2403596 - 03/04/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

Weak complaint.
Weak article.
Weaker post.

Weakest retort.

Yes he does have the right to use whatever images he wants to, he also has to deal with the consequences of his actions and the reactions of people he wants to vote for him. People who are offended have the right to say so.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2403621 - 03/04/04 06:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Even weaker than the thread as I never said he shouldn't deal with the consequences, nor did I say that those who are offended should not speak out.

I did, and still do, find it ridiculous.

I did, and still do, believe that many if not most of those who are opposed to that ad would say zero... zip.... nada... negative about "their" candidate of choice doing exactly the same.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2403628 - 03/04/04 06:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'd have to agree with that.

if Nader, or Kusinnich came out with an ad with the same images trying to paint Bush in a negative light many here would be pleased as punch about it.

Many of the victims families would probably feel the same way as they do towards the Bush ad.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2403660 - 03/04/04 07:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I'd have to agree with that.

Of course.

Quote:

if Nader, or Kusinnich came out with an ad with the same images trying to paint Bush in a negative light many here would be pleased as punch about it.

Of course.

Quote:

Many of the victims families would probably feel the same way as they do towards the Bush ad.

Of course.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#2407491 - 03/08/04 04:18 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2407537 - 03/08/04 04:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

best one yet!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush's campaign ads piss off families of 9/11 victims [Re: afoaf]
    #2407643 - 03/08/04 05:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It's a very, very valid question. What does Bush have to hide???

--------------------

OfflineTheOneYouKnow
addict
    #2407691 - 03/08/04 05:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Can't anyone tell a straight story in here? Perhaps if the topic would have been "Bush's campaign add piss off S O M E families of 9/11 victims" , it might have been more appropriate. Of course, why would bushhater actually post the truth, when articles by The Guardian sound so much better! Why show both sides of the issue? Why show that some people that were ipso facto included in this aren't feeling as the title and article says so? Because facts fucking suck! Invective is the word of the day!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion