Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDrew
Stranger
Possible contamination issue
    #2380243 - 02/26/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I am currently using a PF tek method that I have used in the past many times succesfully without a single loss to contamination or anything else.

It's been about 5 years since my last harvest and I think I am still pretty consistent with getting it right. I followed my old instructions and ordered a syringe from The Spore Bank (bummer that PF is no longer).

I used a Pressure cooker ( 20psi for 20 mins) to provide the sterilization and all the basic methods to insure sucess. It's been 1 week since inoculation and I am beginning to see the familar signs of the white growing. I am also starting to notice a small greenish color as well. after much reading, I am to believe that this is not good and must rid myself of the batch.

Since this is the first time for me to lose a harvest (after nearly 100 sucessful jars) I am a bit confused why this happened.

I have a few questions:

#1) Since the green looking stuff began at the point of innoculation could the syringe have been contaminated? I did flame sterilize the needle a few times between jars and was very careful about sterilization.

#2) Can I still re-use the old jars after washing them and a PC treatment, or am I better off to throw them out entirely?

#3) From my past days, I cannot remember if I kept the lids of the jar (with old skool style of lids upside down, tape over holes...etc.) tight during the PC or loose. The manual I have says to keep them loose, which I did on this run.

#4) Is it best to mix up the substrate for EACH jar or to do 1 large bulk batch and mix well?

Anyway, this time I ordered from Ralphsters and went for the 4 pack special. (Ecuadorian, Hawaiian, Colorado and F+..any comments on these?) Hopefully it was only the syringe and not my methods. (which I thought I had perfected)

Any other tips would be much appreciated.

:-)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinereaderror
PurpleHaze

Re: Possible contamination issue [Re: Drew]
    #2380269 - 02/26/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

1) If you flame between innoc, wouldnt that kill the spores in the needle?

2) Yea, Just wash them and put new substrate in.

3) I belive people that use mason jars put 4 holes in the top and keep them tight, But I used plastic jars....

4) I used about 4 diff batches total to fill my jars.

OfflineDrew
Stranger
Re: Possible contamination issue [Re: readerror]
    #2380523 - 02/26/04 07:10 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

True, it will kill the spores but I usually squirt a bit of fluid out before insertion to clense the needle. Still wouldn't think it would account for the green stuff though.

:-)

Offlinep_knutt
amateur mushroomrancher

Loc: CT
Re: Possible contamination issue [Re: Drew]
    #2380569 - 02/26/04 07:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I ordered my first spores from Sporebank, and the same thing happened.  Green mold started growing right at the innoculation site.  They sent me a new two new ones tho. :tongue:

OfflineDrew
Stranger
Re: Possible contamination issue [Re: p_knutt]
    #2380586 - 02/26/04 07:34 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, I thought about that...but one strike and you are out as far as I am concerned. I would hate to take a second chance with it...so I opted for a new provider. Oh well, all I need is my own good batches so I can make my own syringes.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation