Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
My first plant! FIM or Top?
    #23293488 -

Hey guys, I've got my very first plant!  I figured since it was legal here I might as well try.  Though I live in an apartment so I still have to be careful...


Here's my little gal!  This photo is at least four days old, so she's a little bigger.  Genetics are unknown, they came from seeds I got off my late cousin who passed in a motorcycle wreck, so I have no information from him.



I am curious, I've been doing reading and I'm torn between Topping and FIMing.  Though to be honest I haven't had much time to do it, as I poorly researched weed when I planted this seed.  This is really just a fun grow for me, nothing serious, however I do want it to be successful.


What would you suggest?  And what are your reasonings?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: Maverick]
    #23293563 -

I would top two times and then add in some low stress training if you can with a net. Fimming is more work than it's worth in my opinion, but some people really like it. it does however create more of an open wound if my memory serves me right, but all high stress training creates open wounds. there's no reason to do much else other than topping (breaking off the terminal node wth your fingers, being delicate as opposed to using scissors) combined with low stress bending under a net. I've gotten fantastic results this way.

By the way, your plants look gorgeous and very very healthy. :smile:

Judging from the leaf structure i would say you have some kind of indica, but more than likely it's a hybrid.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: 404]
    #23293646 -

Thanks!  Can I clone my topping?  I only have two plants, and one is deformed.  I'll post a pic soon, it's pretty weird, the leaf's serrations didn't separate, so the leaves are smooth, but they can't expand properly, so they are curled. 

I'm keeping a close eye on it in case it goes male, my gf just wants to see it grow for a bit out of curiosity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: 404]
    #23293664 -

.

Edited by kactus.brand.g (06/02/16 12:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: Maverick]
    #23293676 -

No, you can't really take a clone from the top, especially the very terminal node. Taking a clone from this will not contain the right levels of growth auxins needed to take root. If you want to clone a plant, take cuttings at a 45 degree angle with a sterile blade from the lower parts of the plant, from branches that are well established.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #23293678 -

.

Edited by kactus.brand.g (06/03/16 07:03 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: 404]
    #23293684 -

404 said:
No, you can't really take a clone from the top, especially the very terminal node. Taking a clone from this will not contain the right levels of growth auxins needed to take root. If you want to clone a plant, take cuttings at a 45 degree angle with a sterile blade from the lower parts of the plant, from branches that are well established.



No offense,but I have taken top cuttings many times,and they root.
I have even topped plants after their first true set of leaves,and rooted those tops.

Bottom cuts root better,but any tip will root:wink:

I

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #23293686 -

I have even seen people root leaves before.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #23293692 -

The higher up on the plant / newer the growth, the higher rate of failure you will have with rooting a cutting.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: 404]
    #23293694 -

404 said:
The higher up on the plant / newer the growth, the higher rate of failure you will have with rooting a cutting.



Yes,but it can be done,is all I'm trying to convey:cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #23293737 -

Personally I'd let it grow and trim the suckers off as they show themselves

Unless u have limited space, requiring short plants

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: Raven44]
    #23293751 -

What's a good median to put the clone in?  I have a few free samples of Dip'n'Grow stuff.


Raven44 said:
Personally I'd let it grow and trim the suckers off as they show themselves

Unless u have limited space, requiring short plants




I'm growing it on an apartment porch, so I don't want it to get stolen or have my landlord get too angry, though it is legal (oregon).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: Maverick]
    #23293781 -

What part of the plant is the clone coming from...? I'd just worry about growing the plants you have out now... if you manage to take a clone from a good lower branch that isn't new growth, you could put the clones in an indoor set up or even make it a mother for next season.

when you take the clone, make sure you put it almost immediately into water so air bubbles dont cause a problem. you can then use rooting cubes and put them into a high humidity chamber under a CFL bulb.

technically yeah, you could take a good portion of the top off and maybe root it... it's not an optimal way of going about it though, and you have to figure since you are using natural sunlight, your plants are going to flower in a few months or so, is that going to be enough time to get your clones large enough to flower?

Edited by 404 (05/31/16 08:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: 404]
    #23294460 -

If you're getting anything other than 100% success rooting Cannabis, with any method, with top or bottom pieces... You are just plain doing it wrong. Period. That settles all of this I believe :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: 404]
    #23294482 -

404 said:
What part of the plant is the clone coming from...? I'd just worry about growing the plants you have out now... if you manage to take a clone from a good lower branch that isn't new growth, you could put the clones in an indoor set up or even make it a mother for next season.

when you take the clone, make sure you put it almost immediately into water so air bubbles dont cause a problem. you can then use rooting cubes and put them into a high humidity chamber under a CFL bulb.

technically yeah, you could take a good portion of the top off and maybe root it... it's not an optimal way of going about it though, and you have to figure since you are using natural sunlight, your plants are going to flower in a few months or so, is that going to be enough time to get your clones large enough to flower?



So much of this type of thinking is the direct result of buying into a lot of conjecture that is spouted off meaninglessly in hydro stores, and even cannabis grow sites, or people with very little actual horticultural knowledge that just "know how to grow weed dawg".

This is why I rarely ever come on here anymore, lots and lots of misinformation and overkill.

Putting your cuttings immediately underwater is overkill, completely unncessary. There are those that even say to make the cut underwater to prohibit these air bubbles from entering the stem.... POINTLESS! I've gotten 100% success rooting my cuttings for almost the entirety of my 10 years of growing and you know when I finally started having great success? Doing very little "extra work" like this and just leaving the dome on and letting them do their thing. If the humidity is right they will root, it's just a matter of time.

I make no distinction between top and bottom whatsoever when making cuttings. With huge mother plants when one is taking 100+ cuts you really can't discriminate on which part of the plant to take to root... And anyway it's completely pointless because once again if you are getting anything other than 100% success on rooting Cannabis, with any part of the plant, it's just not being done right. I've worked with over 50 strains, won awards, have lab tested stuff. Feel free to :pm: me if you don't believe brother!

:peace:

:happyweed:


--------------------

Edited by theMallacht (06/01/16 12:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: theMallacht]
    #23294506 -

Have cloned directly into soil for years, air bubbles are not, and have never been an issue, ive even rehydrated cuttings from in flower loli-popped trim people have given me thats spent a day or two tied up in plastic bags with partial success...revegged then flowered successfully, even if i did find out why he scrapped em (genetic herm)


But mallacht is correct, cloning is as easy as "put stick in dirt, keep atmosphere humid with slow air exchange, mist occasionally" 100% sucess rate with minimal effort is not uncommon regardless of where the cutting is from on the plant, as long as there is room for roots to form, and a node for new growth to form.

Edited by milktruck (06/10/16 03:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: milktruck]
    #23295115 -

Yep,rooting Cannabis is just too easy,and I have never once used any rooting hormones.
I just take the cut,and stick it in damp soil,and in two weeks or less I have roots.

I also take cuttings from my plants late int the vegetative sate,and plant them all along moist creek banks and leave them.
Then by the time I come back,most have already rooted.
Talk about a lazy mans way to root Cannabis:lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #23299839 -




So far so good!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: My first plant! FIM or Top? [Re: Maverick] * 1
    #23300066 -

Not to shabby at all...give us an update in like a week when shes exploding with new tops all over the place :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Bud - 2 plants in a 5 gallon? falseaddiction 1,294 13 07/24/04 01:57 PM
by funkymonk
* What plants grow most similarly to marijuana? (indoors, soil or hydro) Baby_Hitler 1,748 4 08/19/05 07:33 PM
by Legoulash
* Just planted Cuttings. have questions (sun and water) reincarnated 656 6 03/02/18 07:49 PM
by ferrel_human
* Papaver Somniferum in the garden
( 1 2 all )
zaros 4,292 33 03/02/18 12:27 PM
by zaros
* a bunch of new plants i got for free (no pics yet) LiveByFreedom 608 1 06/03/05 11:57 AM
by bluelou
* Hallucinogenic Plants - by Richard Shultes online with pics myndreach 1,740 6 04/28/05 11:57 AM
by mjshroomer
* salvia plants doing bad mikey 728 7 10/01/03 07:43 PM
by neuro
* Post deleted by users_request malibu76 1,346 12 07/04/02 03:35 PM
by EvilBastard

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
1,361 topic views. 0 members, 9 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.