Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23142766 -

Well I finally have 3 seedlings popped up of the half dozen or so seeds I sowed. This weekend the will all be grafted (hopefully)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: jimmyBbuffet]
    #23143998 -

Not even a day outside and the little graft with a mohawk was taken a bite out of. I blame these little black ants that love the wet environemnt. I believe thwm to be responsible for my caput-medusae and my strombo bites too. I spread cinnamon all over the place
If they keep that crap up ill certainly be out of thw contest for a week or so.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23144446 -

Something must be wrong with my sowing... out of 150ish seeds only 1 sprout and these had good germ rate from other person. WTF.

It only takes one I guess.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: modern.shaman]
    #23144712 -

That is strange man. I just recently re-wet my mamm luethyi seeds in the pot again. I ordered some tephrocactus geometricus seeds and they say they are also hard to germinate as well and they benefit from watering the pot. Letting it dry and then rewetting it. There also other methods as well.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23145622 -

That sucks Modern. Give them some time and get them warmish days and a slight cool down at night. I find that the straight heat of the seed mat isn't good but they like a good day/night rhythm. I've got seedlings sprouting in several pots but I'm going to give them a week or so before grafting, I need fresh blades and also find that grafting too early tends to make them take longer to start growing.  :shrug:
My frailea castanea seeds looked awfully astrophytum like, would suck if the vendor sent me the wrong seeds, but it would also be nice to have something to enter into the astro field. One of them popped and they're nice and big so I should be able to graft and see soon.:lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: P.Zappatecorum]
    #23146027 -

Frailea seeds have the same brittle outer shell of Astrophytum, don't worry. :wink:


--------------------
Z. in sunny Lisbon, Portugal
Cactus grower particularly fond of north american miniatures.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/

Sowing cacti - my way!
Random pictures of my collection.
Photographing cacti, Z's way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: LSoares]
    #23158020 -

I don't think I'll be able to enter this contest... my lopho seeds have not sprouted and the one sprout died. Oh well...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: modern.shaman]
    #23159485 -

modern.shaman said:
I don't think I'll be able to enter this contest... my lopho seeds have not sprouted and the one sprout died. Oh well...



That sucks bro. I feel for you. I have 1 loph, 1 astro stuck on good. And i did anpther loph recently but nothing really spectacular going on.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23159525 -

What's the fastest way to propogate peres from cuttings? Mine are all middle cuts so no fresh tips, but they are putting out new growth.
I accidenally broke one growth off and put it into dirt, and then one was getting too tall for the container so I chopped it and put it into it's own pot (used rooting hormone for the first time) but they are so skinny, it'll be weeks before I have anything graft worthy.

Would it be better to let the new growths just grow out on the old stock? How long does it usually take for them to get thick enough to be grafted on?

I can get them outside after may 9 but I'll be so late in this comp ha

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: the_r3dz]
    #23159546 -

ferrel_human said:
modern.shaman said:
I don't think I'll be able to enter this contest... my lopho seeds have not sprouted and the one sprout died. Oh well...



That sucks bro. I feel for you. I have 1 loph, 1 astro stuck on good. And i did anpther loph recently but nothing really spectacular going on.



That's a bummer guys. Keep in mind we can sow until june 20th, so there is still plenty of time to re-up and re-sow. I might order some diffusa and astrophytum so I can participate in that side of the contest, see if I can't scrape up a few bucks. :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: the_r3dz]
    #23159726 -

the_r3dz said:
What's the fastest way to propogate peres from cuttings? Mine are all middle cuts so no fresh tips, but they are putting out new growth.
I accidenally broke one growth off and put it into dirt, and then one was getting too tall for the container so I chopped it and put it into it's own pot (used rooting hormone for the first time) but they are so skinny, it'll be weeks before I have anything graft worthy.

Would it be better to let the new growths just grow out on the old stock? How long does it usually take for them to get thick enough to be grafted on?

I can get them outside after may 9 but I'll be so late in this comp ha



Pereskiopsis won't thicken unless it's grown with some wind blowing on it. The fastest way to grow cuttings is to give them ample water, light (not direct sunlight if you prize your fingers!) and warmth. Don't go for thickness, go for dense foliage - that's what will make your scion grow. The stocks I grafted to are well below pencil thickness.


--------------------
Z. in sunny Lisbon, Portugal
Cactus grower particularly fond of north american miniatures.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/

Sowing cacti - my way!
Random pictures of my collection.
Photographing cacti, Z's way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: LSoares]
    #23159744 -

LSoares said:
the_r3dz said:
What's the fastest way to propogate peres from cuttings? Mine are all middle cuts so no fresh tips, but they are putting out new growth.
I accidenally broke one growth off and put it into dirt, and then one was getting too tall for the container so I chopped it and put it into it's own pot (used rooting hormone for the first time) but they are so skinny, it'll be weeks before I have anything graft worthy.

Would it be better to let the new growths just grow out on the old stock? How long does it usually take for them to get thick enough to be grafted on?

I can get them outside after may 9 but I'll be so late in this comp ha



Pereskiopsis won't thicken unless it's grown with some wind blowing on it. The fastest way to grow cuttings is to give them ample water, light (not direct sunlight if you prize your fingers!) and warmth. Don't go for thickness, go for dense foliage - that's what will make your scion grow. The stocks I grafted to are well below pencil thickness.



I graft to like 1/8 of a pencil thick. You could say these peres is almost etiolated.but not really.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23160357 -

ferrel_human said:
That is strange man. I just recently re-wet my mamm luethyi seeds in the pot again. I ordered some tephrocactus geometricus seeds and they say they are also hard to germinate as well and they benefit from watering the pot. Letting it dry and then rewetting it. There also other methods as well.



Yes, sometimes they can be very slow - I copied this post from another thread.




Quote:

Spanishfly said:
As they say, NEVER say die !!! 
Just over a year ago I got some seeds of Cumarinia odorata - a rarely grown monotypic genus.  Just a few, and I sowed them in a small pot.  After some months nothing had happened, so I put that pot to one side - needed the lighting space.  Yesterday I decided to recycle that pot and found 3 little sprouts - sitting in dust dry soil.  So I gave them some sorely needed water and put that pot under the fluoros again - it will stay there until the spring.
So don´t be too quick to give up on your seeds - they just might be a bit slow.




Following on from the above, in the last 4 months the sprouts have done very well, and today I potted on the largest - it was looking very much like a miniature adult, and just starting to produce hooked central spines.
Here it is in a 6cm pot - it will stay under fluoros for a week, before being gradually introduced to the sun.



--------------------
I am currently BANNED from using Private Messages - so can anyone who wants to contact me do it via my Journal thread.  Link is https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23831115

Maybe some mod or whatever might think this has now been long enough.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: LSoares]
    #23160466 -

LSoares said:
the_r3dz said:
What's the fastest way to propogate peres from cuttings? Mine are all middle cuts so no fresh tips, but they are putting out new growth.
I accidenally broke one growth off and put it into dirt, and then one was getting too tall for the container so I chopped it and put it into it's own pot (used rooting hormone for the first time) but they are so skinny, it'll be weeks before I have anything graft worthy.

Would it be better to let the new growths just grow out on the old stock? How long does it usually take for them to get thick enough to be grafted on?

I can get them outside after may 9 but I'll be so late in this comp ha



Pereskiopsis won't thicken unless it's grown with some wind blowing on it. The fastest way to grow cuttings is to give them ample water, light (not direct sunlight if you prize your fingers!) and warmth. Don't go for thickness, go for dense foliage - that's what will make your scion grow. The stocks I grafted to are well below pencil thickness.



This is good to know, thank you. I assume you mean that the spines will grow like crazy if left in full sun? I've already noticed that they have extremely annoying spines, they just love to get stuck in your fingers.

I think I got Pere deguitti because I notice that it's starting to grow white hairs on the new growth, does anyone have real spathula?

I've got a bridgesii that's about 1/2-3/4" thick that I want to graft, I assume that I would need a pretty substantial piece of pere for that right?

I just put my peres outside to get a couple hours of morning sun, but it's like 5c right now so I'm keeping them in their humidity chamber for the greenhouse effect, so no wind yet
would it be better to just have a fan blowing on them? How important is humidity?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: the_r3dz]
    #23161366 -

I have spathula that i left to dry with roots exposed and left for dead. If propagated right they grow like a damn weed. So i put the stumps back in wet soil yesterday. Here they are today.



They look to be coming back to life. The one cutting in the middle at the top by itself is the hairy peres.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: Spanishfly] * 1
    #23171844 -

Spanishfly said:
With deep breathing and shaking hands, today I lifted the first sprout, sliced it and mated it with the stock.  I put it in a bag to keep it humid while it attempts to bond - probably leave it in for a couple of weeks under fluoros.





Following on from the above - after a week in a bag to keep up humidity - there is definite growth.  I declare this a successful graft!



This is only the third graft I have ever done - one failed, but as the man said - two out of three ain´t bad.  I am quite chuffed that it worked.


--------------------
I am currently BANNED from using Private Messages - so can anyone who wants to contact me do it via my Journal thread.  Link is https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23831115

Maybe some mod or whatever might think this has now been long enough.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: Spanishfly]
    #23174407 -

Awesome man. I really like it. Im surprised it worked. Now did you sprinkle some water in the bag to keep the humidity up or was it just the sap to evaporate inside the bag? This seems like something i migght want to try now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23175091 -

There was some excess water loose in the bag, and lots of condensation on its inner surface.  But when it was apparent that the graft had taken I gradually discarded the bag.


--------------------
I am currently BANNED from using Private Messages - so can anyone who wants to contact me do it via my Journal thread.  Link is https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23831115

Maybe some mod or whatever might think this has now been long enough.

Edited by Spanishfly (05/01/16 05:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: Spanishfly]
    #23175375 -

Nice man. Is that stock blue myrtle?


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cactus Grafting Competition 2016 [Re: ferrel_human]
    #23175468 -

sure is


--------------------
I am currently BANNED from using Private Messages - so can anyone who wants to contact me do it via my Journal thread.  Link is https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23831115

Maybe some mod or whatever might think this has now been long enough.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | | Last >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Cactus Grafting Competition 2013/2014
( 1 2 3 4 ... 29 30 )
naum 41,008 587 08/23/14 05:51 PM
by naum
* Grafting Competition 2012/2013
( 1 2 3 4 ... 16 17 )
modern.shaman 28,915 332 01/27/14 03:08 AM
by Corporal Kielbasa
* Grafting Contest 2013/2014 Pre-Contest Discussion Thread
( 1 2 all )
naum 2,914 26 09/16/13 06:52 PM
by ferrel_human
* Best grafts poll - Cactus Grafting Comp 2013/2014 Mostly_HarmlessM 841 8 09/23/14 02:45 AM
by LSoares
* Most beautiful poll - Cactus Grafting Comp 2013/2014 Mostly_HarmlessM 905 9 09/23/14 02:55 AM
by LSoares
* Best freaks poll - Cactus Grafting Comp 2013/2014 Mostly_HarmlessM 798 8 09/23/14 02:46 AM
by LSoares
* need help/advice with graft
( 1 2 all )
tryptonite 6,928 22 02/22/13 02:15 AM
by Juke Adro
* *NEW ARTICLE* Published Report Shows That Grafted Lophophora Remain Active And Other Issues Debunked
( 1 2 3 all )
modern.shaman 13,209 56 07/09/13 02:47 AM
by intelligentlife

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
44,477 topic views. 0 members, 4 guests and 12 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.