Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekeyeghost
?

If you have experience cloning onto AGAR lend a word pls!
    #2314442 - 02/08/04 02:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hello,

My friend recently fruited successfully a bulk sub (straw poo) that went through hell and yet was successful.

She knew for a fact that the mycelium could have reached thermal death (if in fact thermal death of mycelium is 106F). This happened because of a heating error and her being gone for several days, when she checked her thermometer upon arriving back home, it read 106.9F. At this time the myc was about 85% colonized on the millett.

After temp corrections the myc seemed to recover and get to about 90-95% colonized, then she said it showed every textbook sign of bacillus. Several treatment methods were attempted, apparently successfully since the jars reached full colonization (not going into detail about that now).

After the quarts were cased they seemed to be doing fine, until it was noticed that cobweb seemed to be attacking the casings. Once again, they were treated, long story short she said they produced healthy fruits (above average abort rates on 1 casing misting primordia with H2O2 was cause), though somewhat smaller than average.

Anyway, my friend has some peroxidated honey and potatoe water agar cooked up and is planning to clone the best fruit as per the standard method.

What my friend wants to know is if there is any likely-hood that since this is a clone from myc that went through hell, might it perchance produce somewhat hardier mycelium?

Thanks,

KI

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Re: If you have experience cloning onto AGAR lend a word pls! [Re: keyeghost]
    #2315157 - 02/08/04 07:50 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

No one has any idea of these effects?

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

Re: If you have experience cloning onto AGAR lend a word pls [Re: keyeghost]
    #2315277 - 02/08/04 08:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It might also produce a mycelium that grows specific to those nasty conditions, but not necessarily one that will grow better under all conditions. There is also the chance that the mycelium is not overly tough, but harsh environmental conditions early could have conditioned it physiologically to harsher condions later when the bacillus set in, thus making the hardiness non-genetic (heat hardening). If the myc was mostly colonized before the temp error, this is most likely the case. Though thermal death is set at 106 degrees and the air temp was 107, the actual temp of the mycelium may have been lower due to evaporative cooling. My recommendation would be to clone mushies that grow the best under prime conditions because you have a surer bet that you can recreate the conditions in which it grew.

--------------------
It used to be that we loved little children. Now we eat them.
--Ira Hyde

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Re: If you have experience cloning onto AGAR lend a word pls [Re: bathrobe]
    #2315306 - 02/08/04 09:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks bathrobe! So you would suggest maybe making more multispore myc rather than clones?

Thanks

KI

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #2316714 - 02/09/04 04:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I think that it's more likely that what you have is not a mycellium of a desired species but a contaminant.

Invisiblebathrobe
usually naked

Re: If you have experience cloning onto AGAR lend a word pls [Re: zeronio]
    #2319658 - 02/09/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

long story short she said they produced healthy fruits

unlikely its a contaminant that you would be cloning since you will be cloning from fruits rather than mycelium, unless the contam was a suspiciously psilocybesque mushroom, which is highly improbable.  cloning is fun, and if you've got a strain you like you should try to clone it, but i would advise against putting all your eggs in one cloning basket.  you can make agar plates in under three hours if you work efficiently, and what the hell else are you going to do anyway.  I would clone a few but also take some prints for later use. the only way to know if you've isolated some freakishly hardy strain is by comparing those two in terms of yield and resistance to contams once you try to spawn them again.  if the clones are total studs, then you've done the unlikely and become very lucky. :thumbup:

--------------------
It used to be that we loved little children. Now we eat them.
--Ira Hyde

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Re: If you have experience cloning onto AGAR lend a word pls [Re: bathrobe]
    #2328509 - 02/12/04 10:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

How could it be a contam zero? It has produced healthy fruits. I don't know 100% that it had bacillus (educated guess, smell was prominent) but it definitely had cobweb that it overcame. So how is it just a contaminant?

KI

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #2329622 - 02/13/04 07:50 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sorry - I didn't get it right the first time. I overlooked the fact that she got fruits from it.
Anyway... sucessfull treatment of bacillus and then cobweb is quite a miracle. I never even thought of not throwing away such thing.

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

Re: If you have experience cloning onto AGAR lend a word pls [Re: zeronio]
    #2329801 - 02/13/04 10:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well like i said she was not 100% sure about the bac. she just rode it out to see what would happen, the cobweb though that definitely was there, and it definitely has not popped it's head up again since treatment.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology