Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Pereskiopsis Health Questions
    #23140920 -

Hello, I am very new to to gardening and I was hoping to start with some cacti. For now all I have is pereskiopsis diguetii which is pretty much the same thing as pereskiopsis spathulata except it grows hairs at the areole. There is a seller on the popular auction site that is selling pereskiopsis diguetii labeled as Pereskiopsis Spathulata,so buyer beware. Anyway, I had a rough time at the start since I under watered them and I attempted to sterilize the soil with heat and unbeknownst to me perlite releases toxic amounts of fluoride under high temperatures. So my plants have been through a lot in the first few weeks I've had them, but most of them are doing very well. However, two of them started rotting at the ends. I cut both rotten ends off with a very sharp knife, but I still have two questions. One, is there any hope for this little bit to turn into a plant? Second, should I cut the yellow part of this plant off as well?
tl;dr
Should I bother trying to grow the small thing and do I need to cut the yellow part off?

Edited by gg8374 (04/22/16 08:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pereskiopsis Health Questions [Re: gg8374]
    #23141188 -

That will likely still root. Just stick it in some semi-moist soil and forget about it. Pereskiopsis roots like a beast.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pereskiopsis Health Questions [Re: theMallacht]
    #23141198 -

theMallacht said:
That will likely still root. Just stick it in some semi-moist soil and forget about it. Pereskiopsis roots like a beast.



:whathesaid:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pereskiopsis Health Questions [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #23141681 -

does pereskiopsis diguetii not graft as well, or grow slower?


--------------------
Even Jesus got stoned.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pereskiopsis Health Questions [Re: mandrin13]
    #23142100 -

Its relatively the same. Although if youre not careful that hair can mess with the grafts. Ive done both.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pereskiopsis Health Questions [Re: mandrin13]
    #23142128 -

As far as I can tell they grow at about the same speed, but I don't have a spathulata to compare to. The only problem is the false advertisement, I don't want my money back or anything. He's actually a cool guy since he sent me one extra cutting, so I'm not complaining. I suppose I'll get some spathulata cuttings at some point, but from what I've heard they're about the same. If you search diguetii on  this forum you can hear about some of the experiences of other people. Here's a close up of my healthiest plant.

Edited by gg8374 (04/22/16 08:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pereskiopsis Health Questions [Re: gg8374]
    #23143451 -

Thanks for the clarification guys, I have pereskiopsis diguetii , so wanted to make sure.  They have been slow to grow outside, but as soon as I put some under the T-8 lights they instantly started kicking out leaves at the top.


--------------------
Even Jesus got stoned.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pereskiopsis Health Questions [Re: gg8374]
    #23150050 -

I ended up cutting the yellow part off since it was spreading and though I planted the yellow piece it seems to just be rotting so I will be throwing it away. However, I believe this was a good move as there is some decent new growth on my now very short pereskiopsis. Also for the small little piece I think some roots are growing, but I can't be sure. I'll update on that if anything comes up with a picture.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Amazing growth of Tr. pachanoi grafted on Pereskiopsis
( 1 2 3 all )
Una 15,810 41 03/26/08 12:55 PM
by Zinglons Acolyte
* San Pedro Health Question (pic) Dead Shaman 1,782 10 09/26/01 08:03 AM
by Dead Shaman
* Pereskiopsis???(ID PLEASE) Psilocybeingzz 2,546 12 08/22/04 05:19 PM
by Bi0TeK
* Pereskiopsis spathulata - How to make it branch? peachy 3,430 6 11/30/05 10:05 PM
by S8N
* Is this pereskiopsis?
( 1 2 all )
MIKESHERRY 3,985 22 11/21/04 10:28 AM
by Stonehenge
* Pereskiopsis spathulata kilgore_trout 2,043 13 07/09/04 02:37 PM
by kilgore_trout
* pereskiopsis spathulata iamhimheisme 1,215 4 07/19/04 10:58 PM
by iamhimheisme
* Pereskiopsis spathulata or Pereskiopsis porterii for grafting. Which is best??
( 1 2 all )
sturmer88 7,145 21 05/31/08 07:29 PM
by carpetmunch

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
483 topic views. 1 members, 8 guests and 9 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.