Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEl_Herbivore
ChupacabraKiller
Lots of mushrooms growing down the street. Help with ID.
    #2284815 - 01/29/04 05:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEl_Herbivore
ChupacabraKiller
Re: Lots of mushrooms growing down the street. Help with ID [Re: El_Herbivore]
    #2284827 - 01/29/04 05:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2285034 - 01/29/04 06:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

If you really want the mushrooms you find identified accurately, you need to pick them. You also need to follow the instructions in the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Having said that, a couple of your photos seem to show mushrooms that are distinctive enough to make reasonable guesses as to genus.

The second photo shows some Coprinus. Also known as Inky Caps, many of them degenerate into inklike slime as they age.

The fourth photo could be Armillaria (Honey Mushrooms).

The eighth photo suggests Amanita. Amanita includes the mushrooms responsible for the vast majority of mushroom poisoning fatalities, so you should consider them to be deadly until you can be certain otherwise.

Some of the clustered mushrooms with pale stems and brown, tan, or grayish caps could be Lyophyllums. Most Lyophyllums have a somewhat greasy feel to the surface of the cap.

Guesses on the others would be wild guesses.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineEl_Herbivore
ChupacabraKiller
Re: Lots of mushrooms growing down the street. Help with ID [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2285125 - 01/29/04 07:26 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks ToxicMan!

Tomorrow I'll pick a few and take some spore prints to better help identify some of these. I'll also post a pic of the area, including the trees they were growing under.

P.S. I've read and re-read the forum instructions and I still can't figure out what rule I broke? I don't mean any disrespect. Please, if you don't mind, let me know what I'm doing so that I don't do it again.

Thank you.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2285179 - 01/29/04 07:46 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

if yo can't figure out what you are not doing right, you are not trying.

1.) you failed to give descriptions of your find or make sure the pictures showed clearly all the features you are asked to provide.

2.) the description you did provide was broad enough to encompass all species pictured, and can not therefore help us make any real identification.

the only features you have left us to go on is a compound habitat, a bunch of cap shots of two species and only gill shots of others.

don't worry about it too much, the more experience you have with mushrooms, the better you will understand which features are key in dnetification. the mushroom hunting faq and forum sticky thread will tell you which features are most important and experience will tell you why. untill then, the general rule is that any feature which is not common with every other species of mushroom you have ever seen may be key.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: Lots of mushrooms growing down the street. Help with ID [Re: canid]
    #2285403 - 01/29/04 09:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My first visual impressions were the same as TM... I need to start getting ready for the big freeze to break... Mushrooms anyone?

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: Lots of mushrooms growing down the street. Help with ID [Re: nofind_um]
    #2286291 - 01/30/04 03:11 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yes please! Damn summer :frown:

--------------------
Light & Music

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies