Home | Community | Message Board

Fairy Ring Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Loc: Hawaii Flag
Do computer power units need the motherboard?
    #2249505 - 01/18/04 01:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I need to know if the computer power units need a motherboard in order to turn on? Ive got a spare 300watt power unit which i want to connect fans to and only fans... but it doesn't turn on when i just stick the plug into it on the back and flip the switch? Is there a way i can get it to turn on without the motherboard? Or will it not work without one???

I need this to work so i can get some good airflow in my grow box i have set-up.

Any help would be nice.
Thanks,
Drug

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Edited by TheDrugStore (01/18/04 01:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Loc: Surrounded by an electrom...
Re: Do computer power units need the motherboard? [Re: TheDrugStore]
    #2249535 - 01/18/04 02:40 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

if you have a voltage meter you could find the "hot" and a ground wire on the power supply and connect direct to that. My advice would be to spend the 19.99 and get an inverter. Much better because it uses less power is quiet and not as much of a fire hazzard.

--------------------
Blaze

OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Re: Do computer power units need the motherboard? [Re: blazenaz]
    #2249557 - 01/18/04 02:48 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well i acually figured it out myself. All i had to do was connect the ground (any black wire) to the only green wire there is that is connected to the big switch that hooks onto the motherboard with a paper clip. I guess even though there is power going to it... it needs to be turned on like a computer switch would ultimatly do if it was being used for what its for. Well anyways yea. I got it to work.

wooohoo!

--------------------
Penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana and mushrooms in private for personal use.

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

#2249610 - 01/18/04 03:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

you are using a paper clip to jump the wires :crazy: Maybe I read that wrong but if you are...you are asking for a problem. Fire can really ruin your day.

--------------------
Blaze

OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

#2249618 - 01/18/04 03:07 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Its fine. You can touch the paper clip and feel nothing... and there is absolutly no heat going threw it. It just sends the signal to turn on but there isent a constant amount of electricity running threw it.

--------------------

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

#2249656 - 01/18/04 03:23 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

A buddy of mine had something similar on a light switch at his house. Part of his house wiring was copper and the other was aluminum (older house). It just so happened that one of his wiring juctions for one of his light switches was where some of the copper and aluminum wires met. He noticed the switch cover being a little warm one day and decided to check it out. When he pulled the cover off he found that it had started to melt the plastic covering on the wire as well as the sorrounding area. Kind of long winded but I am sure you are aware of what could happen in a worst case scenario. Don't rush something like this, buy the wire and connectors and do it right :smile: Something tells me that the manufacturers of that power supply are not going to warranty that modification :grin: Good luck dude

--------------------
Blaze

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2249707 - 01/18/04 03:53 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineGranola
bag lady

Loc: 50.0N-6.0E
    #2250133 - 01/18/04 11:39 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

power supply is a 12v max output, little risk of fire but a heavy hueage insulated wire does make it safer

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Do computer power units need the motherboard? [Re: Granola]
    #2250412 - 01/18/04 02:12 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You can start a fire with 12v.

--------------------

OfflineDeviant
A Nobody

Loc: Somewheres
    #2250941 - 01/18/04 06:55 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I had a buddy of mine do something similar to this and he electrocuted himself, got a expensive round trip to the hospital, and had to rewire a lot of his house.

--------------------
"How doth the little crocodile improve his shining tail, and pour the waters of the Nile on every golden scale! How cheerfully he seems to grin, how neatly spreads his claws, And welcomes little fishes in With gently smiling jaws!"

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Re: Do computer power units need the motherboard? [Re: Granola]
    #2251315 - 01/18/04 09:48 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Even if that were the case, which its not, why would you risk it? I have seen power supplies get hot enough to smoke...and when there's smoke there's fire.

--------------------
Blaze

OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

#2251327 - 01/18/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Only 5 volts are going from the greeen wire to the ground wire. I kept the fans going for an hour... and felt the paper clip. No heat what so ever. Also its only going to be on for 30 min. at a time no more. So im acually not worried. Also im going to just cut some spare wire and connect the two... so after there connected threw acuall protected wire... then it will be perfectly safe... even though there isent a current problem.

--------------------

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
    #2251349 - 01/18/04 10:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Depends if its ATX (20-pin connector) or AT(2 6-pin connectors). With AT you can just press the switch and it works, but with ATX, you need to close the circuit between the PWR ON pin and a ground. http://www.gideontech.com/guides/psu_powerup/

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
    #2251387 - 01/18/04 10:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You can also buy a little switch that mimics the computer's case switch and solder it in between the wires you are currently paper-clipping.

They're called a momentary something-or-other. The switches are dirt cheap at Radio Shack.

--------------------
I'm so ready to start growing. I've shroomed twice and loved it to no extent. --Mindgames

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Do computer power units need the motherboard? [Re: Ben_Stein]
    #2251433 - 01/18/04 11:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

All you really need is a piece of wire to jump it with. As soon as you close the circuit once, you don't need the wire anymore while its on.

OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Re: Do computer power units need the motherboard? [Re: TinMan]
    #2251615 - 01/19/04 12:34 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TinMan said:
Depends if its ATX (20-pin connector) or AT(2 6-pin connectors). With AT you can just press the switch and it works, but with ATX, you need to close the circuit between the PWR ON pin and a ground. http://www.gideontech.com/guides/psu_powerup/

Its an ATX and thats exacly what im doing. Also the paper clip needs to be connecting the wires constantly or it will turn off. I already tried taking it out. As a conclusion though i see no hazard in doing this in such a ghetto way. The paper clip stays room temperture... and there is no electricity running threw it (from touch). So im not worried.

--------------------

InvisibleUv1
enthusiast

Loc: Bloom County
    #2253116 - 01/19/04 04:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

There is a voltage in between the green wire and the ground wire, and current is dependent on the resistance of the paper clip. It might not cause you trouble, but you can't really know for sure. These kind of schemes rarely cause any acute hazards, but by no means offer a permanent solution.

You cannot feel any current running through as there is not a significant voltage between you and the generator, and skin resistance is high enough to prevent short circuiting you and thus having current run through your body. Remember that even currents as low as 5 mA can be lethal! Somebody please correct me if I'm totally off the track.

Consider finding a large capacitor or a switch to connect the wires. No current has to run through.

Besides, the whole box heats to a high temperature and keeps a lot of noise, doesn't it?

OfflineTheDrugStore
Shroomer

Re: Do computer power units need the motherboard? [Re: Uv1]
    #2253254 - 01/19/04 05:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The box doesn't make any noise at all. And after it being on for an hour it was still room temperture... the metal on the outside acually felt cold. There is a fan that cools everything down in the inside and blows out...but the air is cold coming out. There is only 2 fans hooked up to it.. so its really not running hard enough to create any heat. Its ment to run 300watts... but only probly running 30 right now... So yea. Its cool.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation