Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXeose
Wheeeee!
Computer Fan Drying Help *DELETED*
    #3220427 - 10/05/04 11:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by Xeose

Reason for deletion: ~

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Computer Fan Drying Help [Re: Xeose]
    #3220919 - 10/06/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Probably the best thing to do is to go out to a small computer store and ask them if they have a OLD and used computer power supply at AT computers. It can't be ATX because ATX doesn't come on without the computer itself. You can probably look throught the junk section and pick one up for couple of bucks or less.

If you want to splice it this is what you do. On the fan, red is +12V and black is ground. The white or beige is the temperature censor relay, you can ignore the temp censor.

1. Look at the adaptor and you'll see a selector that has + and - stuff next to it. You use it to select which wire will be hot(+12V). Select it anyways you want.

2. Select the voltage to 12V.

3. Cut the wire from the adapter farthest away from the adapter. This means closest to those swappable module looking ones. You are going to splice this.

4. Cut the wires on the fan farthest away from the fan.

5. Split the wires, and strip some plastic off like you would do with speaker wires.

6. Connect the wires 1 for 1 so that 1 wire from the adpater is connected to only 1 wire on the fan.(don't use the temperature sensor wire, use only red and black)

7. Use some electrical tape to tape them up individually.(if you don't have electrical tape, use ducttape and use plenty.) If you want to look professional, you can run out to a autoshop can get a cap for this.

8. Tape the all the wires together before and after the point where wires are spliced.

9. Plug in the adapter. If the fan doesn't come on right away, unplug it, and then switch the polarity. That's the switch that has + and - signes on it.

Most modern computer fans are brushless DC motors, it's actually and AC motor with a step inverter. These will not run if the polarity is backwards, but will get hot. So don't keep it plugged in hoping it'll work. If it doesn't turn right away, unplug it.

Almost all the older computer fans are DC motors and will turn backwards if the polarity if backwards. Which will be perfectly fine. You might want to have the air flow away from the shrooms instead of to if you are using a chamber because it'll lower the pressure, which helps with vaporization.

Anyways, 12V is enough to give you a nice jolt if you decides to come after you, so keep it unplugged while working. Also these fans won't work in >90% humidity without getting damaged fasted.

GL!

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Computer Fan Drying Help [Re: Xeose]
    #3221849 - 10/06/04 09:54 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

glad to hear it worked out for you.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation