Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Am I looking at Turkey Tails (T/C/P. Versicolor)?
    #22100689 -

It has that turkey tail look to it, and the pores are pretty small.





Would these be of printing quality? I'd imagine they have been there for a while.

I'm inclined to think that they are indeed Turkey Tails. I hadn't really been interested in these types of fungi until I recently got into tinctures. I can still go through the process of printing and microscopy to be certain, but I just wanted to see if anyone could let me know if its worth my while as they are a bit out of the way.

Thanks,

-amp244


--------------------
How to Convert a Normal 24-hour Light Timer into a Short Cycle Repeating Timer


"Monopoly, besides, is a great enemy to good management, which can never be universally established but in consequence of that free and universal competition which forces everybody to have recourse in it for the sake of self-defense." -Adam Smith

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Am I looking at Turkey Tails (T/C/P. Versicolor)? [Re: amp244]
    #22101211 -

It does indeed look to be Trametes versicolor, I can't see the pores clear enough to be sure though.

Here's a link where you can take the Turkey Tail test yourself.>>>>http://www.mushroomexpert.com/trametes_versicolor.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Am I looking at Turkey Tails (T/C/P. Versicolor)? [Re: karode13]
    #22101698 -

Thanks. I'll go back and bust out the KOH and attempt a spore print to be certain. If all checks out I'm gonna do a double extraction on some of the fresher looking guys.


--------------------
How to Convert a Normal 24-hour Light Timer into a Short Cycle Repeating Timer


"Monopoly, besides, is a great enemy to good management, which can never be universally established but in consequence of that free and universal competition which forces everybody to have recourse in it for the sake of self-defense." -Adam Smith

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Am I looking at Turkey Tails (T/C/P. Versicolor)? [Re: amp244]
    #22110399 -

As it turns out, these were not turkey tails. I went back to the scene and checked them out and I discovered that they weren't pored at all. It was actually just a crust fungi. I appear to have found one of the false turkey tails (Stereum Ostrea) :facepalm:, however my find appears to be a bit more dull in color than the typical specimens found.


A 4% KOH solution stained it a very dark hue of red, almost black. It later became a faded black.

Its too bad, I didn't find turkey tails, I was planning to make a nice tincture with them. Oh well I'm sure I'll come across a bunch sometime soon.


--------------------
How to Convert a Normal 24-hour Light Timer into a Short Cycle Repeating Timer


"Monopoly, besides, is a great enemy to good management, which can never be universally established but in consequence of that free and universal competition which forces everybody to have recourse in it for the sake of self-defense." -Adam Smith

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Am I looking at Turkey Tails (T/C/P. Versicolor)? [Re: amp244]
    #22113425 -

Very wise of you to do that test to confirm they weren't Turkey tails.:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Am I looking at Turkey Tails (T/C/P. Versicolor)? [Re: karode13]
    #22114107 -

Yes man, I just got some KOH in the mail so I was itching to bust it out lol. The underside and lack of a pore surface pretty much excluded turkey tails but I had to be the mad scientist :cool:


--------------------
How to Convert a Normal 24-hour Light Timer into a Short Cycle Repeating Timer


"Monopoly, besides, is a great enemy to good management, which can never be universally established but in consequence of that free and universal competition which forces everybody to have recourse in it for the sake of self-defense." -Adam Smith

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* is this turkey tail? Mushmitch 1,974 19 03/11/13 08:51 PM
by Alan Rockefeller
* Turkey Tail ID Request fatpat 597 3 11/03/13 02:39 PM
by eagel774
* Trametes versicolor trietje 1,226 9 01/13/15 06:09 AM
by morganmushroom
* Questions on turkey tail uses, sustainable & safe harvesting Adden 522 5 05/27/16 05:27 PM
by Adden
* The Destructive Pholiota, Turkey Tails, The River and the Berries GGreatOne234 1,883 7 09/26/07 11:12 AM
by gmuralid
* Can woodlovers suck up & contain tree poisons ? Trametes versicolor / Turkey-Tail RichShroom 2,067 9 07/22/09 04:38 AM
by RichShroom
* Id request (Possible Reishi/Turkey tail) Colonel 364 8 03/24/17 07:52 PM
by donjonson420
* Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor cultures 2/22)
( 1 2 all )
Joshua 6,112 23 02/25/02 11:33 PM
by Joshua

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
662 topic views. 1 members, 24 guests and 51 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.