Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
The Destructive Pholiota, Turkey Tails, The River and the Berries
    #7452803 - 09/25/07 06:01 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hey shroomers,

I went for a hike yesterday at a park along the Mckenzie River, just east of Springfield Oregon. I was hoping to chance upon some Golden Chantrelles but they weren't there.

This is all i found:

The Destructive Pholiota. Pholiota destruens. This conspicuous mushroom was found growing from a log that had been cut out to make room for the walking path. They grow from the ends of logs where they have been cut by chainsaw. And they favor Aspen, Poplars and Cottonwood trees. The spores are supposedly cinnamon-brown, but i never printed this specimen to prove that.. They are edible but of poor quality. I did a quick taste test (afterwards spitting it out of course) and it was very bland.

Next we have a very small amount of Turkey Tails. Trametes versicolor. Versicolor is Latin for "varying in color" because of the multicolored zones on the spoon shaped (or turkey tail shaped) caps. The spores are white (tho it probably isn't easy to get a print off them). They have no odor and no good flavor. They are not edible due to their leathery texture. And i believe they are a medicinal mushroom, probably used in Chinese medicine for eons now.

The McKenzie River.

Some berries. Anybody know are these things any good to eat?

GG

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: The Destructive Pholiota, Turkey Tails, The River and the Berries [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #7452836 - 09/25/07 06:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The berries are wild black berries..

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlinefliped
The Lost One
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: The Destructive Pholiota, Turkey Tails, The River and the Berries [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #7453088 - 09/25/07 07:31 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

black berries are good. Might be a little light for the best ones though

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #7453220 - 09/25/07 08:05 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Beautiful!
Blackberries aren't found in Fl?

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: The Destructive Pholiota, Turkey Tails, The River and the Berries [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #7453235 - 09/25/07 08:08 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

> Some berries. Anybody know are these things any good to eat?

They sure are, there are no poisonous berries that look like that.

You probably found Rubus ursinus or Rubus discolor.

Cool pholiota picture, I uploaded it here:

http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/show_image/6573

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
Re: The Destructive Pholiota, Turkey Tails, The River and the Berries [Re: Brainiac]
    #7455057 - 09/26/07 09:37 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Brainiac said:
The berries are wild black berries..

I'm sorry but i believe you guys are wrong.. It's a very common mistake, especially here in the states, to refer to black raspberries or even dewberries as blackberries. What you have pictured is more than likely just as safe as a blackberry, but i do not think it will taste like one.

Here on the farm we have boysenberries, blackberries, dewberries, black raspberries, and many more varieties of berries commonly refered to as blackberry, but the fact is that this is incorrect, each has it's own very different flavor and a name...

the way the berry formed, it look's more like a dewberry than anything, but like with mushrooms, genetics and enviroment play a large role in looks, especially in the wild. How close to the ground was it found, IME dewberry vines stick much closer to the ground than blackberries or black raspberries.

Blackberries have a tendancy to be longer and very cylindrical shaped with larger sacks of fruit juice that are usually pretty uniform throughout. the usually hang a couple inches from the vines as they are heavy and do not cluster as much as black raspberries. Black raspberries tend to have smaller sacks of juice again unifrom, but usually a smaller ball shape than the blackberry, they aren't usually as heavy so they often point towards the sky in clusters. Dew berries on the other hand usualy have juice sacks ( i really need to learn the proper word) that are not so uniform, fewer sacks and the berry is smaller usually than black raspberries with the fruits more spaced out similar to blackberries.

describing the tastes is hard, but dewberries are my least favorite of the bunch and blackberries are my absolute favorite of the berries commonly refered to as blackberry.

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #7455315 - 09/26/07 11:09 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

we need rain!:cool:

the berries should taste just like blackberries.
there are many different kinds of blackberry bushes around.
this was a good year for blackberries(weatherwise).

watch out for bears when near a river and blackberries.:yesnod:

Offlinegmuralid
Holy Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: India
Re: The Destructive Pholiota, Turkey Tails, The River and the Berries [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #7455333 - 09/26/07 11:12 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

You can try it by squishing a tiny bit of it in your hand, and then putting the juice on your tongue. If it tastes poisonous, you will know.

Most poisonous berries will make your tongue feel very dry all of a sudden,and have a very sharp/bitter taste to them.

I wouldnt go around doing this with any berry you find however. With some time and practice, you will be able to discern from the color and taste if its edible proper or not.

Nice pics. :smile:

--------------------
Wilderness. It defines me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder