Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Holes in my cacti
    #2173304 - 12/12/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

hi guys. I have recently purchased a beautiful pair of cacti, and I noticed the other day that they both have a few small holes and developing holes in the ribs. I am wondering if this is normal, or if I should be worried about disease or other infestation.

Here is a picture showing a developing hole:

And here is a picture of a hole already made:

If there is a risk of infection, is there anything that I can do to prevent it? I thought of either covering up the holes with transparent tape, or dabbing them with 99% rubbing alcohol. I have zero experience with cacti, and I don't know if rubbing alcohol is good for them.

Please help. Thanks a lot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Holes in my cacti [Re: megaman3]
    #2174640 - 12/13/03 12:13 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

are those wounds soft, is the area around it soft, is there any signs of bugs anywhere else?

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: Holes in my cacti [Re: neuro]
    #2175814 - 12/14/03 12:18 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I just checked and the wounds are dry, hard, and there are no signs of bugs that I can tell. I guess they're just harmless scabs then? I will pay attention to see if any more holes develop.

Could it be that the cacti are dry and would need a light watering? I'd like to try to avoid watering them in the winter, but I suppose a light watering wouldn't kill them. I didn't water them since I bought them last Monday, and I don't know how recently the shop that I bought it from watered the plants.

Come to think of it, though, the soil seems very dry, at least at the surface. Is there a way to check for moisture deeper in the soil? Inserting a toothpick and seeing if it comes out clean, would that work?

Edited by megaman3 (12/14/03 12:21 AM)

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #2175916 - 12/14/03 01:01 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

centipodes are evil, at least for the cacti.

FH

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2176697 - 12/14/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

>>I just checked and the wounds are dry, hard, and there are no signs of bugs that I can tell. I guess they're just harmless scabs then? I will pay attention to see if any more holes develop.

Quite possibly just wounds that scabbed over from recent or previous events. Just keep an eye on them and the flesh around them for it becoming mushy and soft.

>>Could it be that the cacti are dry and would need a light watering? I'd like to try to avoid watering them in the winter, but I suppose a light watering wouldn't kill them. I didn't water them since I bought them last Monday, and I don't know how recently the shop that I bought it from watered the plants.

You should still water your cacti in the winter/dormancy period, just not as much as you would when they're vigorously growing.

If you want to see how moist it is inside the soil, burrow your finger in a bit or stick a straw in it and pull out a core.

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: Holes in my cacti [Re: neuro]
    #2177328 - 12/14/03 04:44 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you for your help neuro. Suppose that I do notice either fresh holes or softening of existing holes/edges, what would you recommend I do? Dab them with 99% rubbing alcohol, in case they're caused by tiny bugs that I can't see with a naked eye? Would 99% rubbing alcohol harm the cactus? What if it's a bug or bugs that I can see, should I put something on the holes? Change the soil? Cover the holes with transparent tape?

Usually, when you have bugs attacking your cacti, do the bugs live inside the cacti? If they do, then I guess you're screwed, huh? If they usually live in the soil then it's not too bad I guess. Well, let's just hope it doesn't happen :-)

Thanks.

Edited by megaman3 (12/14/03 04:52 PM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2177553 - 12/14/03 06:36 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Fresh holes, or softening of existing things, i'd just not even bother to wait and see what's going on, i'd cut out all the soft stuff, swab it with alcohol and let it callous up.

When you have bug problems they can live either in the cactus just under the skin, burrowed in holes or in the soil depending on the type of pests and other plants/cacti around.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag