Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Loc: at Home with the Kids
It is NEW and it is a TEK, so bite me
    #2119502 - 11/18/03 11:03 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If anyone has tried this before and posted their results, I apologize. I searched the site but could not find anything already existing.

Basically, what I've done is used the byproducts of a dunk and roll to create new PF jars. I birthed my cakes and soaked them overnight in the fridge in a container filled with cool, sterile water. I rolled them the next day in verm that had been baked and cooled. After I was done, I took the verm and mixed it with an appropriate amount of baked BRF and then used the water from the container as the water for my mix. I put the mix in jars that had been PCed and cooled (and dried) and then topped them off with sterile verm, per PF.

That was Saturday night and this is what my jars look like this morning:

(Click to Enlarge)

This picture is not that great and its hard to see what I'm talking about but if you notice the darker spots it should be evident that the walls are completely covered with a thin layer of mycellium. That was less than three days. At this rate I would birth my cake in less than a week and a half after "innoculation". I figure I can isolate jars that show the most rhizomorphic growth and put them in a seperate container in the dunk stage, to get the best growth. I'll post more to update on the development, rate of contamination, etc. This just seems a lot easier than messing with Karo or Agar. Although some people really enjoy the more technical side of the hobby, some of us have way less time available for all that and just want shrooms and want as much of them as possible, as soon as possible. Cheers.

--------------------
There he goes, one of God's own prototypes--some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, too rare to die.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadadaM
Time Traveler

Re: New TEK? [Re: havatampa]
    #2119546 - 11/18/03 11:21 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

that would be a great idea, if there isnt a high rate of contams.
cant wait to see how it turns out.

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: New TEK? [Re: MadadaM]
    #2119759 - 11/18/03 12:29 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'll definitely keep you posted. I'm estimating they will be fully colonized this time next week. That picture sucks by the way, its way more telling in person.

--------------------
There he goes, one of God's own prototypes--some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too wierd to live, too rare to die.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#2119776 - 11/18/03 12:33 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I did the Karo Tek with my dunk water and had fully colonized jars in just under two weeks.

I posted information about it awhile back (less than a month ago).

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Edited by MycoCat (11/18/03 12:36 PM)

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: New TEK? [Re: MycoCat]
    #2119784 - 11/18/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Cool. I'm just thinking this makes Karo unnecessary.

--------------------

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#2119794 - 11/18/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It might, but by two days I had patches of mycelium that were as big as quarters and you don't seem to have that. Maybe the Karo gives the mycelium a better foothold.

But try whatever you like. Good luck.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: New TEK? [Re: MycoCat]
    #2119810 - 11/18/03 12:42 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So mixing some karo in with the water then would be even better? I'm just thinking in terms of what's fastest, easiest, and cheapest. But if the karo makes a huge difference then I guess its worth the money. If karo is that helpful, then why not mix a little in with the top level of a casing or with the substrate for a dunk and roll? What do you think about doing a dunk and roll of crumbled cakes with a little karo in the mix and then casing that?

--------------------

Anonymous

#2119851 - 11/18/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i predict contamination.

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: New TEK? [Re: ]
    #2119855 - 11/18/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

For the last thing I said or for everything?

--------------------

Anonymous

#2119888 - 11/18/03 01:10 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

just for the jars you loaded in a non-sterile environment and then did not sterilize.

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

#2119896 - 11/18/03 01:11 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Who said it wasn't sterile?

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2119898 - 11/18/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

The whole thing isn't sterile. You sure that's cubensis mycelium? 2 days sounds too fast for full colonization....

....of course there's always such a thing as luck....

Do the jars smell mushroomy or mildewy??

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: New TEK? [Re: micro]
    #2119912 - 11/18/03 01:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I don't have full colonization, but I do have significant growth in the jars I incubated and it's definitely cubensis mycelium. The substrate was sterilized in the oven. The water was sterile to begin with, then boiled, then a touch of hydrogen peroxide was added. Any time I brought an element into my work station it was sprayed heavily with 90% rubbing alcohol, I had gloves, I had a surgeons mask, the work station was very clean and I periodicly sprayed mists of alcohol into the air to sterilize it.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2119916 - 11/18/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

you did. what you did is totally unsterile. pretty much everything in those jars may have been sterilized by you, but i can guarantee you that between the time you sterilized it and the time you loaded it into the jars, it was exposed to large amounts of airborne contaminants.

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

#2119932 - 11/18/03 01:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well, only time will tell. I incubate a shit load of jars at a time anyway and generally have very few problems with contams. I understand what you're all saying, and I definitely agree. My reasoning is that the contams don't have time to take hold since the mycellium is so prevelant. If they all get contaminated, I'll send pictures and accept any I told you so's. But considering that I was going to throw the materials away anyway (except for the brf) it's really not a big deal. I innoculate new strains, under typical conditions, from R anyway, for variety's sake.

--------------------

Invisibleslime_R
The Good Doctor

#2120289 - 11/18/03 03:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

So did you use the dunk water to hydrate your verm brf mix and then steralize, or did you use the water to innoculate the jars after you steralized them?

I was assuming you meant the former.

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: New TEK? [Re: slime_R]
    #2120310 - 11/18/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I sterilized the verm and brf in the oven, dry, for 45 minutes at 350. I let them cool and then used the sterilized water from the dunking as the water for the mix and the sterilized verm, after rolling the dunked cakes in it, as the verm for the mix, combined with the sterilized BRF. I just put them in a jar in the regular proportions and then topped it off with sterile verm. This is way more open to contaminants than regular innoculation, but you don't have to use any syringes or spore prints and if a jar goes down you're only losing the 1/4 cup of brf since the other ingredients were going to be thrown away anyhow...If your clean and careful your success rate should be relatively high and if you have a bunch of jars anyway its ALL GOOD.

--------------------

Offlineshaftinmp
Master ofDisguise

Loc: Dark of the Sun
    #2120385 - 11/18/03 04:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

all you would have to do to know if it was myc. would be open and smell (we all know that smell). i think your on to something here havatampa, as long as no contams.

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

Re: New TEK? [Re: shaftinmp]
    #2120395 - 11/18/03 04:03 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks. I'm not going to open and smell because I think the contam potential is already high enough. I am positive its myc. growth, however. I will post another picture either tonight or tommorrow morning which I think will show how well its doing. : )

--------------------

Offlinehavatampa
South CoastPsychedelia

#2154776 - 12/03/03 11:14 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well, it took a little while but here is the first flush of a one cake casing using this completely unsterile, certain to fail, rediculous tek.  It took a whole two weeks from "innoculation" to harvest!  I can't believe it took so long.  :smile:

Could someone please tell me if these shrooms are contaminated, because I heard a lot of talk about how the project was certain to end in contamination and these do look a little blue.

Cheers. 

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale