Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline8BallMick
Irish Ninja
Loc: oregon
whats a good bulk tek?
    #1165836 - 12/23/02 08:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

whats a good bulk grow tek? i tried hip's tek three times unsuccessfully...all three bags got contaminated.

im looking for something that is hard to fuck up (doesnt get contaminated easily) and doesnt require a pressure cooker.

if anybody could try to point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it.

--------------------
"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: whats a good bulk tek? [Re: 8BallMick]
    #1165845 - 12/23/02 09:00 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i don't know if this will help you or not, i've never done it, but here is the only thing i had. it's mycofile's bulk neglect tek http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Growlog&Number=609532&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

prolly isn't what you're looking for, but this should help get your post started.

Offline8BallMick
Irish Ninja
Re: whats a good bulk tek? [Re: rico357]
    #1166861 - 12/24/02 08:56 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the link...it uses cow dung though, which doesnt sound like a particularly appealing substrate...

it also requires you to have a mushie to take a cutting from which i do not have.

does anybody know of a simpler, cleaner method.  aha, yes i'm looking for something thats EASY and produces BIG YIELDS :smile:  i bet i'm not the only one...but i tried using hip's bulk tek three times, once with a different spore, and i got the same result all three times: contamination.

so basically, i'm curious to see if anybody with a lot of experience could point me to a method that is hard to screw up but produces in bulk.  i'm willing to do a lot of work, i just want to produce a lot without failure.

thanks.

--------------------
"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad."

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
    #1167102 - 12/24/02 10:18 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The reason you kept getting contams is because you are sterilizing your substrate and not pastuerizing it.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

InvisibleSubGen1us
 User Gallery

#1167116 - 12/24/02 10:21 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

just in response of getting alot easy

In time u will be good an will be able to get big results, If this is ur first grow id take just the simple pf tek to actually get mushrooms or u might find out how bad contams are

--------------------

Offline8BallMick
Irish Ninja
Re: whats a good bulk tek? [Re: SubGen1us]
    #1167707 - 12/24/02 02:11 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

...right.

but some methods grow in bulk wheras other methods do not. for instance, if you had a bathtub full of substrate you would likely grow considerably more than if you used a half pint jar and a coke bottle.

--------------------

Offline8BallMick
Irish Ninja
Re: whats a good bulk tek? [Re: SixCee]
    #1167715 - 12/24/02 02:14 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

thank you very much for the response.

i was under the impression that sterilization encompassed pasteurization...but what can you tell me about it?

thank you.

--------------------

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
    #1167752 - 12/24/02 02:30 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well brf and verm have some bad things including spoes from foreign invaders and whatnot. It doesn't have any good bacteria (yes bacteria can be good) or anything. So you give it enough heat so that all living organisms inside die. That is sterilization. Pastuerization is when you kill the bad things but leave the good things. The good things stop invaders to some extent so that is why you cannot innoculate pastuerized compost with spores. The defenders will keep the spores from germinating. Now to innoculate compost substrate you need live mycelial tissue that the defenders can't stop.
Got it?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

OfflineALHOFF177A17
DoWn RU?

#1167900 - 12/24/02 03:58 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yes PF is ideal for the inexperienced grower but its limitations to fruiting off cakes prevents high yields.
Let me make a sugggestion...
Start with the PF tek, not just for experience but for a pure strain.

I mean grow out some pf cakes and clone your best mushie.

Then use the oven tek to transfer some tissue samples to jars of birdseed.

let the birdseed colonize, then prepare some quart jars of birdseed (leave room for the pint or 1/2 pint) and use the colonized jars of birdseed to inoculate the quart (give it a good shake so the colonized cernals are throughly mixed with the sterile ones). This will give you a massive ammount of a pure strain within a week or so of spawning.

After you have the desired amount of colonized substrate, dump it all together flatten but not too hard and let recolonize for a couple days fanning 2 times a day to prevent it from going stagnant. then case with moist vermiculite and cover the container with a piece of clear plastic. I suggest you cut a couple of holes right at the top of the substrate and fill with polyfill for air.
Here is a suitable tek for birdseed.
http://www.theforestfloor.org/archives/main/Birdseed_Tek.html

Good luck...Hope this helps.

--------------------
www.DoWnClothing.COM

Offlinejonas

Re: whats a good bulk tek? [Re: ALHOFF177A17]
    #1184840 - 01/02/03 11:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'm limited in my shroom growin' knowledge ... I havent tried growing yet, still waiting for my spores.

But anyway ... I'll try to give you another idea that you could use, that incorperates the birdseed idea.

What you're going to want to do is get one of those really big rubbermaid storage things, and you wanna stelize a bunch of wheat straw, and put about 6 inches in the storage thing, crumble a colonized birdseed cake onto the straw, then cover with another 6 inches of straw. Then you compact it well, and put a piece of plastic wrap all the way over the top of the straw, and you wanna tuck it in the edges. ya gotta poke small holes in the plastic wrap. Let it sit for 2 weeks. Take the plastic off, put 2 inches of vermiculite on the top. and then put the plastic wrap on top of the verm, dont tuck it. I might've forgotten a step or so, but thats the basic idea, cuz you get a lot of shrooms supposedly because of the massive amounts of straw. Check the ShroomGod's tek in the FAQs just incase I got something wrong. I'm gonna try this method soon myself, so ... Best of luck bro.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation