Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineforevrgrounded98
Stranger

baking compost
    #2152745 - 12/02/03 08:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

why is it necessary to bake the poo in an oven bag versus just putting it in a pan and baking it that way and adding some DI water after the process is complete?
-matt

--------------------
"If I don't see ya before the end of this one, I'll meet ya in the next one and don't be late" - Jimi Hendrix

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGratefulDread
Never pass up anopportunity topee.

Re: baking compost [Re: forevrgrounded98]
    #2152806 - 12/02/03 08:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The reason the compost is done pre-moisturized in the bag is because the water needs to be sterilized as well. You can theoretically boil the water and then add it to the compost in a sterile environment but it would be more work and open you up to contams. I'd say just stick to the tried and true methods especially when you are first starting up.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: baking compost [Re: GratefulDread]
    #2152977 - 12/02/03 10:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Are there any alternitives to oven bags to cake the poo and water in for pasturization?

--------------------

Offlineforevrgrounded98
Stranger

Re: baking compost [Re: Cloud9]
    #2153217 - 12/02/03 11:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

not in the oven, you can always try cookin it in a sheet in a pot of boiling water.........damn it, guess this means i gotta go get some oven bags....oh yea, can I paturize poo and straw at the same time all mixed up?
-matt

--------------------
"If I don't see ya before the end of this one, I'll meet ya in the next one and don't be late" - Jimi Hendrix

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: baking compost [Re: forevrgrounded98]
    #2153916 - 12/03/03 03:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

this is how i do it (luckily i sent it to myself a while back, so no re-typing):

colonise mycelium on sterilised WBS.

pasteurise straw* in a pillowcase in a bucket on the stovetop: 170F for 90min. take it out, and drain really well - at least 3 hours, so not even a single drip comes from the corner. now you're ready:

wash a tub out. wash hands properly. wear a face mask. sterility not essential, but cleanliness is. open the WBS jar. with a cleaned spoon or fork, scrape / cut it until it's all separated.

put a layer of straw in the tub. then some wbs. then some straw. then wbs. etc all the way to about an inch from the top of the tub. compress it down with your fists, then cover with tinfoil, making sure there's not too many frayed straw edges. take a clean fork, and make some holes in the tinfoil about every inch or so, to allow air exchange. put a (clean) heavy object on top, but not obstructing too many holes - I use a flowerpot with a couple of tins in it.

stick it somewhere dark for 7-10 days. no need to incubate, as it makes its own heat. don't even look at it for 3 or 4 days. when the top's all white, apply casing layer, cover with clingfilm, and leave to colonise casing layer - about 4 days later it's ready to fruit!

hope this helped

shirl
xx

* or poo, or straw/poo mix.

--------------------
buh

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation