Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials
    #2150864 - 12/01/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/master.term.reut/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave" and filed a discrimination complaint with the county's Office of Affirmative Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature," Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.

Dennis Tafoya, director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that an "exhaustive search" had been undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more "appropriate" ones. A form was sent to all departments to identify equipment carrying the labels "master" and "slave" or any other offensive terms.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as "nothing more than a request" and not an ultimatum or policy change.

"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do," he said. "It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally."

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all equipment carrying the "master" and "slave" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms with suppliers.

"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees," he said. "We have to take these things seriously."

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he's received "telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired" he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to reexamine their labels.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials [Re: daussaulit]
    #2150872 - 12/01/03 10:19 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

When fixing my cd burner a month ago i noticed the labels and thought it was pretty funny. Harmless yet someone feels change it.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials [Re: daussaulit]
    #2150944 - 12/01/03 10:37 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Political correctness run amok.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2150978 - 12/01/03 10:47 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

no man, the computer industry is once again trying to keep the bruddas down

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2150983 - 12/01/03 10:48 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Kill whitey!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2150992 - 12/01/03 10:50 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Lol, Master/Slave has been used as long as I've used computers...funny how some moron is getting upset over it now :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2150998 - 12/01/03 10:54 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

this guy goes on a nice rant about the whole thing

"But what is the result of all this? We have empowered idiots and idiocy. So long as someone is upset about something for some cause (I dare not use the term "reason"), these people are empowered.

We have made the emotional state of being offended the trump card in societal affairs. It does not matter what rights other have, so long as you're offended, people need to stand up and pay notice. Otherwise, you get called an -ist by the social fascists, it gets repeated by the media, and you get into one mess of trouble."

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2151019 - 12/01/03 10:59 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Jesus fuckin' Christ.
/shakes head in disgust

It's not like they're "cotton pickin' nigger" drive and "whip master whitey". What the hell else are supposed to call this config?

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2151042 - 12/01/03 11:03 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

It's called "free market". You got a problem with free market?

Huh? Do ya?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2151045 - 12/01/03 11:04 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

It's called "free market". You got a problem with free market?

Huh? Do ya?

This is what happens when we allow governments to become consumers.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #2151721 - 12/02/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The terms are also used in other industries. 

like cotton pickin! :laugh:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2152077 - 12/02/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, also, we should stop refering to electronic connectors as "male" and "female."  I mean, thats pretty offensive!  :rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials [Re: Noviseer]
    #2152236 - 12/02/03 03:24 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe instead of "master" they could use "RIch white men plundering the poor" and "slave" htey could use "Poor oppressed, extremely intelligent and creative negro, kept down by ignorant white people"? I'm sure that would make liberals jump for joy.

Maybe "massa" and "nigra" would be offensive...

--------------------
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2152245 - 12/02/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

infidelGOD said:
this guy goes on a nice rant about the whole thing

An enjoyable read.

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
    #2152263 - 12/02/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, and I disapprove of color coded wiring too! All wires are created equal dammit!!

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2152325 - 12/02/03 03:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

....but what gets me is, what kinda person do you need to be to have filed the complaint?!...i mean don't you have anything better to do with yourself?!?...i think i have a few of those ppl living in my strata...nothing better to do with thier time, than stick it in others business. :mad: :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleKid_Orgo
 User Gallery

Loc: Hale-Bopp
Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, offic [Re: Azmodeus]
    #2157268 - 12/04/03 12:42 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

You have to be today's liberal. (This is why I hate both parties)

More concerned with how things look and what's offensive than the rape and pillaging of our Constitution and Bill of Rights, and thus, our country.

When I say "our" country, I mean everyone. Black white yellow purple green, doesn't matter.

People should be suing over the VICTORY act, and the PATRIOT act, rather than whining about stupid shit like this. There's a war on, lady, and it's on every citizen except maybe rich white christian oil company heads.

--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: 'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, offic [Re: Kid_Orgo]
    #2158987 - 12/04/03 05:55 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

That has to be the worst pc bullshit ive ever seen it get.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder