Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Anti-American Canadian removed from office
    #3388221 - 11/20/04 09:26 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Praise, scorn for Carolyn Parrish :mushroom2:

THESTAR.COM STAFF

Prime Minister Paul Martin has dropped the hammer on outspoken MP Carolyn Parrish, firing her from the Liberal caucus. We asked for your view of her repeated anti-American comments.
The anti-American comments are an embarrassment but unfortunately represent what a large portion if not a majority of what people think in this country about America and Americans. What is amusing about this entire situation is that her rights to free and defaming speech were protected by Paul Martin up until her free speech defamed the Prime Minister. Now Paul Martin can be seen as doing the right thing by removing Parish from the Liberal Party caucus even though he does it for the wrong reason.
Bob Turcotte, Hamilton, Nov. 19

My view of Carolyn Parrish is best summed up by the columnist who labelled her a "frustrated underachiever." After being elected as MP several times her main contribution to political discourse appears to be that she can be relied upon for an goofy sound bite or video clip. There really are members of parliament who can be relied upon to bring a degree of maturity and thought to their opinions; sadly the media won't ever give them the time of day. Parrish is as much about the decline of quality in our media as it is about her puerile behaviour.
Hugh Elgie, Guelph, Nov. 19

I think to a degree, Parish was echoing what a lot of Canadians feel and have been saying. However, as a political figure, I think she needs to be more diplomatic in the way she expresses herself. Even if the television clip was harmless fun, the disrespect she displayed for her party in the aftermath is entirely unacceptable.
Jessica Shabtai, Waterloo, Nov. 19

Ms. Parrish's remarks (popularly supported by many including myself) show the dying breed of elected leaders with the ability to make a strong point diplomatically and the rapidly vanishing art of subtle political satire.
Neil Sharma, Toronto, Nov. 19

Congratulations to the both of them. To Carolyn for speaking truthfully on issues; and to Mr. Martin for trying to keep some decorum. They both deserve a hand.
June Gray, Mississauga, Nov. 19

Carolyn Parrish's anti-American comments are merely one example of the true kind of person she is. A month or two ago, a Toronto daily reported her comments concerning a Polish immigrant family that was trying to apply for residency here in Canada in her riding. Her comments about this struggling family were foul and four-lettered, I kid you not, because I saw them in print. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Rajeev Vindaloo, Toronto, Nov. 19

Finally, someone comes up and socks it to the Americans. Sorry, but for those people who believe she went over the line, remember the definition of free speech. Come on, what she did was on a comedy show. Americans have said things much worse that we've praised.
Arthur Poon, Toronto, Nov. 19

If the truth is the first victim of war, then Carolyn Parrish has clearly demonstrated that we in Canada are not at war. Why are so many people worried about insulting George W. Bush? That effort seems to me like an exercise in futility anyway, but Carolyn at least stands by her words and convictions. Ah, if only more politicians would disregard the bottom line and self interest and show some moral authority instead.
Albert Willems, Tillsonburg, Nov. 19

Carolyn Parrish was a real gem in an ocean of trained seals. I congratulate her for her great courage and urge her to now join the NDP caucus. My only observation about her anti-U.S. remarks is that she didn't go far enough. Canada needs many more Carolyn Parrishes. Right on, Carolyn!
Henry McRandall, London, Ont., Nov. 19

Carolyn Parrish should be praised for standing up and speaking the truth. It's called free speech and if she offends Americans, who cares? America disrepected the entire international community when they disregarded the United Nations and illegally invaded Iraq. I firmly believe she spoke the way many Canadians feel toward Bush and his policies. Way to go, girl!
Tyra Zafar, Pickering, Nov. 19

I personally am strongly in support of Carolyn Parrish and what she has to say - and I'm American! A lot of the folks I know sound an awful lot like Parrish when talking about Bush and even their fellow Americans. Canada today represents the ideals of America's founding fathers much better than the country they created. As soon as I graduate from university, I'm applying for Canadian citizenship.
Rachel Benjamin, Sherbrooke, Nov. 19

Maverick? Outspoken? Admirable? How about childish, immature, and petulant! What a slap in the face to truly maverick women like Irshad Manji.
Santino Profenna, Toronto, Nov. 19

Ms. Parrish's anti-Bush statements reflect those of most Canadians. I wish more politicians as clearly expressed the voices of those they are supposed to represent. Anyone who believes that her comments or appearance on a political satire show will affect trade or political relations with the U.S. are the ones who need a reality (and a priority) check.
Alissa Paxton, Peterborough, Nov. 19

Carolyn Parrish is certainly entitled to her opinions, but when she has chosen to express those opinions in the most childish ways, she should be expelled. Can you imagine someone in your workplace behaving in such a manner?
Darlene Jenah, Etobicoke, Nov. 19

I am amazed at how many people actually endorse Carolyn Parish's comments. If she was a manager or an employee of a private organization, she would have been fired months ago. NO company would put up with someone who disrespects the head of the company or their main clients.
John Fisher, Mississauga, Nov. 19

Carolyn Parrish was out of line when she attacked George Bush but she went WAY over the line when she went after her own party. Paul Martin is finally showing some integrity by firing her from the caucus despite the fact that it will put strain on his minority government. I still don't like Martin's politics, but I like him more as a person now than I did yesterday.
Frank Dennis, Markham, Nov. 19

Anyone who thinks that Carolyn Parrish sticks to her statements out of conviction is being fooled. All you have to do is go back to the video of her "coalition of the idiots" statement to see that her first reaction was to ask reporters not to publish the remark. That is the behaviour of a person who cannot think without using her mouth, not one who believes in her statements.
Adam Iles, Mississauga, Nov. 19

Ms Parish's remarks betray a lack of wit and vocabulary. She betrays her electorate through her use of street language when much more is expected of her as a public person. She is rude and boorish, and unworthy or our support.
Garth Gilligan, Sooke, B.C., Nov. 19

The price of freedom is responsibility and discipline. Ms. Parrish doesn't understand any of these concepts, and I am very pleased that she was thrown out of the Liberal caucus.
Fred Crockett, Burlington, Nov. 19

Carolyn Parrish received what she deserved from the Prime Minister. She is a disgrace to all Canadians and especially to her own riding. She has no right demonstrating this sort of behavior, or bashing the Liberal government, while representing the strong Liberal riding of Mississauga-Erindale. The sad part of all this is that she'll probably profit on her stupidity instead of being looked upon as a disgraceful, thoughtless back bencher, forced to resign out of humiliation.
Aldo Jakasa, Mississauga, Nov. 19

Finally, Paul Martin stepped up to the plate and did the right thing with regards to Carolyn Parrish. Too bad she couldn't have been kicked out of Parliament altogether. She is a complete and utter embarrassment.
Steven Hicks, Destin, FL, Nov. 19

So what makes being anti-American so "right", other than that it's the vogue thing to do right now? What if she was anti-Israeli? Or anti-Italian? What if she said "I hate those Mexican bastards"? She got away with a lot because she makes great headlines and has an anti-American view. Why should bashing another country be so fashionable and ultimately, allowed by a MP?
Will Lau, Toronto, Nov. 19

Parrish has the right to speak her mind - those with more common sense in public office tend not to. I feel for those who elected her, in good faith, to represent them in government.
Geoff Taylor, Ajax, Nov. 19

Carolyn Parrish is simply a Liberal Don Cherry wannabe. She stirs up publicity by spouting off on a sensitive topic. She is neither creative nor insightful. Certainly not helpful.
Garry Bilton, Markham, Nov. 19

Bravo Mr. Martin. Carolyn Parrish is an embarrassment to everyone: her family, her constituents, her party and her country. Now as an independent backbencher she can rant all she wants. Too bad voters in this country do not have the right of recall.
Egons Lasis, Ajax, Nov. 19

This is not about censoring her. A loud, obnoxious, insulting boor, who has no respect for her party or leader, needs to be let go.
Mary Wilson, Toronto, Nov. 19

Nobody has to agree with Carolyn Parrish, but she still has the right to speak her mind. However, the Liberal Party also has the right to expel her if they think that she has gone too far. Nobody's really at fault. End of discussion. There are more important things to talk about.
Derwin Cheng, Edmonton, Nov. 19

As a public figure, she should have made a distinction between hating American foreign policy and hating Americans.
Allan Gordon, Taipei, Nov. 19

Usually we find fault in our politicians for not coming clean on issues and what they intend. When somebody like Ms. Parrish finally does we seem to take the opposite view!
Khurrum Awan, Toronto, Nov. 19

(Paul Martin?s) dismissal of Carolyn Parrish is statement enough that he has made up his mind to attatch Canada to the worst foreign policies we?ve ever had to consider by the U.S.A.
Kathaleen Neufeld, Clearwater, Nov. 19

For an adult, the right to free speech is properly balanced against the responsibility to behave in a mature manner, particularly when representing other Canadians.
Leanne Ridley, Maple Ridge, B.C., Nov. 19

Up until she made her comments about Paul Martin, I supported her since she was simply speaking the truth, as much as it may hurt Americans to hear the truth. But once she showed no loyalty to her party, then she should be expelled, as any party would do.
Miles Lunn, Burnaby, B.C., Nov. 19

What exactly is more offensive - the truth or the fact that she says it?
Ruth Agatha, Burlington, Nov. 18

Why are we so afraid of offending the Americans? Americans don?t care whom they "offend." Pat Buchanan defended his comments calling us a whining country.
Rose Whitfield, Mississauga, Nov. 18

This is definitely not a free speech issue. Any MP can say whatever they wish in Parliament because they are protected by Parliamentary privilege. This woman just went overboard.
Sonu Baraya, Mississauga, Nov. 18

One point should be made abundantly clear: Even though some may agree with Ms. Parrish?s thoughts, no one should agree with her rude way of expressing them.
Dar Cullihall, Rocky Harbour, Nfld., Nov. 18

What would Parrish think if some Congressman insulted our PM the way she insults America?s president?
Carlos Lemantra, Toronto, Nov. 18

Carolyn Parrish's views on Bush and the U.S. were well known before the June election. Nevertheless, she beat out Paul Martin's handpicked nominee for the right to run as a Liberal. Then she was re-elected by an overwhelming margin: 11,646 votes more than her nearest rival. It seems to me that if anyone has a mandate to speak about Bush, it's Ms Parrish.
Bob Kotyk, Toronto, Nov. 18

It's nice to see someone actually saying what a lot of Canadians think. I applaud her for her honesty - something you don't see a lot of in politicians.
Bruno Di Stefano, Toronto, Nov. 18

I completely agree with Carolyn Parrish's views about Bush. She undoubtedly speaks the truth about this awful, awful man. Having said that, however, it is also unacceptable for a Member of Parliament to act the way she has been. I expect a level of decorum from government officials.
Mara Popovic, Toronto, Nov. 18

No one can argue that Parrish has every right to speak her mind and to express her opinions. But, as an elected official representing a party and a parliamentary district, she must know and accept that there can (and likely will be) consequences when her statements are inflammatory and irrational, and when she directly challenges the authority of her party's leader. It's time for her to go. She's an embarrassment to the institution that she represents and to this country.
Mitch Flagg, North York, Nov. 18

As a Canadian living in America, I'm amazed that some Canadians would consider this Canadian politician's openly anti-American comments to be an issue in the first place. Even in the most unlikely chance that Bush or the general American public would ever see the television clip, it would have very little impact. Americans don't care what Canada thinks or is thinking.
Nancy Ferris, Kalamazoo, MI, Nov. 18

Finally a Canadian in office who has the guts to speak her mind in public about what she thinks of our imperialist, paranoid-ridden, trigger-happy neighbours. Leave Ms. Parrish alone. She injects adrenaline into Canadian politics and makes it hot again. She has my full attention and my support.
Ryan Torres, Mississauga, Nov. 18

Ms Parrish has always been over the top in making foolish remarks dating back to her time as Chair of the Peel Board of Education. She doesn't know the difference between being out-spoken and making foolish comments. She makes a fool of her Mississauga constituents who chose her over Mr. Mahoney.
Ted Southorn, Elliot Lake, Nov. 18

I commend Carolyn Parrish for her outspokenness. I believe that her blatant anti-Bush comments and actions are important, in that they remind steadfast Bush supporters that there are plenty of people out there who are dissatisfied with the direction in which the president is taking the United States. Moreover, Parrish's comments serve as a reminder to those who are anti-Bush that they are not alone.
Marty Rabinovitch, Toronto, Nov. 18

This lady is great. I love her. She may find herself on the outside looking in one day, but I love her.
Victor Tanti, Ottawa, Nov. 18

Parrish is a woman after my own heart. Three cheers for freedom of expression, four cheers for independent thought.
Jessica Levitt, Brampton, Nov. 18

What kind of democracy do we live in if our elected leaders can't speak their mind? I don't remember Paul Celucci getting into so much trouble when he made inflammatory remarks against the Chretien government.
Imran Jessani, Waterloo, Nov. 18

Carolyn Parrish is, and has long been, an embarrassment to Canada. Even though I may share a number of her opinions, she still embarrasses me with her publicity-seeking grandstanding.
Tom Butters, Toronto, Nov. 18

Why does everyone get so worked up about stuff like this? Thousands of innocent people are dying in Iraq and we care about somebody stepping on a doll?
Chris Ramsay, London, Nov. 18

I applaud Ms. Parrish for her courage to express herself so frankly. What she is doing is calling attention to issues such as the proposed missile shield that otherwise doesn't make mainstream news and for that I give her major respect. Keep up the good work Carolyn!!
Robert Spence, Toronto, Nov. 18

Good for her. Why should we pretend that a man who is responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people should be treated with kid gloves?
Joe Jacobs, Toronto, Nov. 18

We need a little more irreverence in politics. Good on ya, Carolyn!
Terry Rooney, Oakville, Nov. 18

Why are these comments classified as 'anti-American'? Ms. Parrish is simply expressing her political beliefs about the current American administration - there is no criticism of the American people here. Politicians are always criticized for mixing their words - finally, we are hearing a straightforward viewpoint from a Canadian politician. I, for one, find this rather refreshing.
Monica von Thaden, Newmarket, Nov. 18

These kinds of antics are well suited for a preschooler, not a government official.
Chris Daley, Barrie, Nov. 18

I have nothing but respect for Carolyn Parrish because she is simply speaking what other Canadians are thinking. The men in Canadian politics lack the gumption to express their own opinions publicly. They censor their opinions for fear of financial backlash like a slower border. Just because they are MPs doesn't mean that they can't express their own opinions. When did Canadians become such wimps?
Robin Kelly, Toronto, Nov. 18

There is little doubt that there are many who agree with Carolyn Parrish's opinions on George Bush - myself included. What I find disturbing is the degree to which she seems willing to go in order to generate some headlines. Surely she has more constructive ways of spending her taxpayer-funded time. How about improving Canada-US relations?
Andrew Ross, Toronto, Nov. 18

She stomped on a doll. George Bush stomped on human rights both at home and across the world. Which is worse? That being said, there's a time and place for politicians to speak out, and Ms. Parrish seems unaware of when either is appropriate.
Fiona Hammond, Ottawa, Nov. 18

Ignorant! I have no problem with someone speaking out about an issue and trying to get noticed. But this is simply a case of an anonymous (and bored) backbencher desperate for her 15 minutes. If you got something important to say, then say it. Otherwise, sit down and shut up.
Harold Miller, Brampton, Nov. 18

Right on. If a foreign country is acting reprehensibly, it's your duty to speak your mind. Even if it may come at some cost to you in "trade impacts" or whatever. Be true to your beliefs. Anything else is just plain cowardly.
Jon Spencer, Toronto, Nov. 18

Ms Parrish is a continual embarrassment. She is like a spoiled child who is constantly demanding attention. Her outspoken, outrageous and often rude shenanigans are very annoying. She definitely needs a time out - maybe a good long rest from politics.
Dela Barker, Mississauga, Nov. 18

Parrish's decision to act out was irresponsible and childlike. This is not a free speech issue. It's within the job title of an MP to voice their concerns, not to act like a witless goof at the expense of her party/country.
Cam Paulson, Toronto, Nov. 18

Canada's economy is already suffering trade sanctions in the beef and softwood lumber industries, and there is tremendous potential for the situation to become worse. Perhaps Ms. Parrish should stop to consider if her selfish and bizarre quest for publicity is really worth the impact her throw-away words are having on Canada's working people.
Jill Skorochod, Toronto, Nov. 18

Go Carolyn! This is the funniest story yet. At least she provides us with entertainment in the field of politics and political correctness. She has the GALL to do and say what many (probably most) Canadians want. Besides, it was just a skit as part of a satirical comedy program.
Daniela Caruso, Toronto, Nov. 18

Criticizing George Bush is not anti-American. That characterization is nonsense. Bush is a truly despicable leader and it is refreshing that at least one Liberal MP doesn't feel compelled to pretend otherwise.
Simon Threlkeld, Toronto, Nov. 18

Too bad that Carolyn Parrish's comments and antics don't have any impact on George Bush's comments or antics. Bush's behaviour is far more damaging to the world that Parrish's ever could be. But at least one elected official in Canada is honest enough to say and do what so many Canadians feel.
Steve McInnis, Woodstock, Nov. 18

Carolyn Parrish needs to cut it out. Regardless of one's opinions on American politics, you have to accept that America is our largest trading partner. As a member of Canada's leading party, she needs to realize that her actions are only hurting Canadians. Accept that we have to deal with Dubya for another four years and it's best not to burn your bridges.
Jeremy Rathers, Thornhill, Nov. 18

The antics of MP Carolyn Parrish have made her a disgrace to her office, her political party and her country. She should be terminated by the Liberal party and defeated in the next election should she decide to run as an independent.
Charlie McMillan, Toronto, Nov. 18

What's the big deal about her making comments? There is freedom of speech in this country, and Carolyn just speaks what most Canadians already feel.
Annu Naushahi, Mississauga, Nov. 18

I agree she has the right to give her opinion but being that she is in politics it could be done in a more respectful way. Comments by someone in her position affect 30 million Canadians.
Nick Marchand, Mississauga, Nov. 18

FINALLY an MP that speaks what most people are thinking. Good for you Ms. Parrish! Don't let anybody silence you.
Balraj Sandhu, Oakville, Nov. 18

Carolyn Parrish for Prime Minister!
Brian McDonald, Toronto, Nov. 18

Carolyn Parrish is an embarrassment and a disgraceful example of a member of parliament. She should be fired from caucus. The American people elected George Bush and that should be respected, whether you agree or not.
Marjorie McQuay, Barrie, Nov. 18

Ms. Parrish has insulted our friends in the US and now she has insulted our own Prime Minister. She is a very sorry example for any young girls that may be thinking about going into politics. I feel sorry for the people of her riding in Mississauga and hope they remember her ignorant remarks at the next election.
Lillian Wilson, Scarborough, Nov. 18

Her brashness and lack of class show that she's a carbon copy of the man she so holds in contempt. She just happens to hold different opinions. She's nothing but a sideshow, and her constituents should recall her.
Michael Peters, Toronto, Nov. 18

Ms. Parrish is outspoken and controversial. I thought that the point of democracy was for people to be free to express their opinions on their leaders. Why should George Bush be exempt from that? I also object to the constant labeling of her as anti-American. Most of her comments have been directed at specific Bush policies that barely half of America supported. The one comment, "Damn Americans I hate those bastards..." I have always felt was spoken in frustration at the rush to war by Bush.
Neil Marshall, Niagara Falls, Nov. 18

Ms. Parrish might be a little crude in her appraisal of G.W. Bush's warmongering, but the fact is that he's a bloodthirsty little maniac, and pretending he's not doesn't make it so.
Matt Keefer, Peterborough, Nov. 18

Could she please stop being so-o-o embarrassing? She has a right to her opinion but not her performances. Does she honestly believe anyone is interested in her thoughts on the matter?
Gayle Roberts, Newmarket, Nov. 18

I don't see what's wrong with a public figure (in government or otherwise) acknowledging a personal dislike for a foreign head of state, so long as it is not based on some kind of racial, gender or ethnic prejudice. If the American government takes offence at what is an honest opinion, I think it says more about the American government than ours.
Toby Cox, Toronto, Nov. 18

Even though she doesn't represent my riding, she makes me feel embarrassed to know that she's representing a part of Mississauga. Just get her out of there before she's tarnishes our reputation even more.
Francois Laurier, Mississauga, Nov. 18

In my opinion she has gone way over the line in her actions. Even if one is completely against Bush it is still not right. She is supposed to represent the interests of her party and constituents and she is obviously not doing so. She is an embarassment to all Canadians and I believe her resignation should be tabled immediately.
Dean Moratz, Toronto, Nov. 18

Ms. Parrish's comments and actions do nothing to support any rational argument against the President's chosen policy path. I remain confident that most of us (Canadians), whether we agree or not specifically with Mr. Bush, acknowledge that our neighbours are far more thoughtful and reflective that people like Ms. Parrish lead us to believe. It's particularly unfortunate that a small minority of policiticans in this country choose to appear blissfully ignorant of how heterogenous the US actually is, and instead target their silly antics towards garnering votes from like-minded Canadians. We are far too great a nation to need to prop up our self-image with this type of behavior, especially from an elected official.
Andrew Ness, Guelph, Nov. 18

I realize that Carolyn is a political figure and should be more careful of what she says but I must say that I admire the fact that she has it in her to say what everyone in Canada is thinking but too afraid to say straight out too the Americans. The soon we realize that we don't need to look up to and cater to them the better off this country will be.
Stevie Baker, Toronto/Orillia, Nov. 18

At a time when Canada's relationship with it's largest trading partner is at an historical low point, we do not need loudmouth politicians making foul anti-American comments. Carolyn Parrish would do well to remember that many of her constituents owe their livelihood to the Ford plant in Mississauga and that all Canadians need American trade in order to enjoy the benefits of a strong trading economy.
Steven Singh, Toronto, Nov. 18

Last I recall Canada was a country that allowed freedom of speech and like it or not Parrish should be allowed to voice her opinion. There's enough erosion of freedoms today in so-called free nations like Canada and the USA. As for the skit, it is that, a humorous take on events. Politicians are constantly skewered on 22 Minutes, often with their cooperation. Get over it.
Josef Stevens, Toronto, Nov. 18

I strongly feel that Carolyn Parrish should not only be tossed out on her fanny for this and previous idiotic actions towards our neighbours but that she should be charged with defamation. Having a democratic society and right to free speech is one thing. Carolyn Parrish is an embarrassment to me and to Canada. Get rid of her.
Kelly Oliver, Burlington, Nov. 18

The skit is a little bit silly, but can you blame her? Not even the opposition like the NDP or the Bloc have been openly and actively critical of the Bush administration's policies. I'm tired of the Liberals and Conservatives pandering to the Americans. Good for Parrish to break ranks.
Jeff Freeman, Toronto, Nov. 18

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Content...d=1100776009746

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: Great_Satan]
    #3388236 - 11/20/04 09:36 AM (12 years, 22 days ago)

Although she was never expelled for anti-American remarks... she got the boot for essentially bad mouthing the PM.

Also, I'm quit pleased you can post something without including an Islamic conspiracy in it.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3389293 - 11/20/04 03:21 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

I think that she was also kicked out because the Liberal party doesn't like dissent, they're kind of seeming like a sleazy bunch.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3389557 - 11/20/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

bush has his dick way up martins ass...mater of time till her mouth got her in trouble. she was on air farce (or some comedy thing liek that) doing a bunch of bush stuff. i hope she brings down the man, man.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: kadakuda]
    #3390187 - 11/20/04 07:41 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

anybody have a clip or a transcript of the comments that got her in trouble?

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: Krishna]
    #3390844 - 11/20/04 11:05 PM (12 years, 22 days ago)

She stepped on a Bush doll on 22 minutes, then made some comments in public after that.

Also, she was NOT removed from office, as the post says. She was removed from the Liberal party. She's still an MP, and she plans on running as an idependant liberal in the next election.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: Phluck]
    #3392421 - 11/21/04 09:18 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Also, she was NOT removed from office, as the post says. She was removed from the Liberal party. She's still an MP, and she plans on running as an idependant liberal in the next election.

Beat me to it :smirk:

I'm glad she's still there, and I hope she manages to get a few choice words in when Bush visits...

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: trendal]
    #3393094 - 11/21/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

Beat me to it :smirk:

I'm glad she's still there, and I hope she manages to get a few choice words in when Bush visits...

Stepping on a bush doll on international TV and making egregious comments toward the American president makes you proud? That bitch needs to grow up, and as a Canadian it makes me feel sad that stupidity like that gets elected into our offices. Although on the other hand i wouldn't really expect any less from the liberal party.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: d33p]
    #3393298 - 11/21/04 05:08 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Stepping on a bush doll on international TV and making egregious comments toward the American president makes you proud?

No...where did I say that?

I'd rather see the Liberals piss GW off than bend over and take whatever scraps he gives them, which is exactly what is going to happen with our current PM.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3393382 - 11/21/04 05:36 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Stepping on a bush doll on international TV and making egregious comments toward the American president makes you proud?

National TV, and it was a comedy show.

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: Phluck]
    #3393642 - 11/21/04 06:42 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

freedom of speech.  she has the right to call him whatever she likes, should nto be punished.  politician or not.  bush calls overseas people way worse and is praised for it.

but i ahte the libs too.  but i certainly prefer that martin fag over teh harper nazi :smirk:

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: trendal]
    #3393738 - 11/21/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Well you only said your glad so sorry for putting words in your mouth.

But you really think she pissed Bush off? I think not, he couldn't give a shit about her. She should be concentrating on trying to do worth while things which may may advance her cause a lot more than stepping on a Bush doll.

I also thinks she makes women in office look bad which i don't like. If we elect a female president is she going to step on a doll of kim sung ill if he blows a nuke over south korea? And yes this is a hyperbole so don't flame me over it.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3394002 - 11/21/04 07:53 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

I also thinks she makes women in office look bad which i don't like. If we elect a female president is she going to step on a doll of kim sung ill if he blows a nuke over south korea? And yes this is a hyperbole so don't flame me over it.

She doesn't care about all the North Koreans starving, so she is a hypocrite.

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#3395635 - 11/22/04 10:41 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

how do you know that? maybe she cares but doesnt do shit liek the rest of us?

does that nuke say United States on the other side? made by china on the little tag?

anyway. lots of people agree politics and relidion shouldnt be mixed. well i dont think things like freedom of speech should be mixed and her going on a comedy show for LAUGHS should not go punished. doing it on the clock is another story. Martin lies through his teeth and he's still party leader....how bad can calling bush a moron be?

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3395645 - 11/22/04 10:43 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

How much money do you even give to charity annually to help feed the poor. :confused:

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #3395773 - 11/22/04 11:04 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

sometimes negative/contraversial attention is what's most needed for an apathetic nation. she is doing the right thing speaking out and creating this turmoil, maybe this will rouse a few more people to protest in Ottawa when Bush visits at the end of this month.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: chodamunky]
    #3396220 - 11/23/04 12:57 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Carolyn Parrish is not very choice with her words. She even said"damn Americans, I hate those bastards."

My favorite has gotta be..."those who support missile defence are the "coalition of the idiots." After initially denying using the word "idiots," she says, "Did I really say idiots? Please guys don't put that on tape. I already got into trouble once."

Maybe Martin wants his minority to fall, cuz he thinks he can get a quick majority. Now, the Liberals have one less seat than they had. .

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Anti-American Canadian removed from office [Re: carbonhoots]
    #3396224 - 11/23/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Carolyn Parrish on American politics.

Our Neighbour At A Crossroads

As our American neighbours were drawn to the polls, President George W. Bush painted himself as the only Commander in Chief who could protect the United States against further terrorist attacks. The deeply shaken American people – previously mighty, imperious and indestructible – were willing to overlook impending economic disaster in a desperate need to feel safe.

American voters will tolerate fiscal incompetence in their political chief as long as he can sooth them with stories of battles won, enemies defeated and terrorists on the run. A one-trick pony, Bush, needed only to repeat the mantra: “you’re either with us or against us.”

His first term was unremarkable in its beginnings. Slipping and sliding over the finish line, Bush landed comfortably on a healthy budgetary surplus. He then set to work becoming the last of the big time spenders. Huge tax cuts for the rich were swiftly implemented and the deficit began to grow. The new president was often seen at his ranch – in fact, more often than he was seen in Washington. The business of the nation was in the hands of a new team, a team that constantly overspent with budgets that eventually reached $2.3 trillion. Not a word was heard from the usual naysayers, as the rich got richer and the poor found each day a little harder to face.

The U.S. poverty rolls have increased by more than 1.3 million persons every year Bush was in power. In fact, these numbers are projected to reach 42 million by 2008. Without the benefits of healthcare or private insurance, serious illness could throw another 45 million Americans into bankruptcy. Millions of domestic jobs have been lost, with the job loss rate hitting 8.7% this year.

The only survivors in George W. Bush’s devastated economy, have been those involved in the giant military-industrial complex. An essential component of the American economy, arms manufacturers have a strong presence in every state of the Union.

After the tragic and devastating events of 9/11, George W. Bush’s seemingly easy ride came to a screeching halt. He emerged from the twisted steel and ashes of the twin towers, transformed. The new war-time president became an avenging angel. You were either with him or with the terrorists. Joined him or had reason to fear him.

Despite decisive action, George W. Bush could not find Osama Bin Laden. So he attacked Iraq. As 140,000 U.S. troops poured into the streets of Baghdad, they were supplied with humvees, missiles and the very latest and best U.S. made equipment. The deficit already climbing at an alarming rate, grew astronomically. The Congressional Budget Office forecasts a $2000 billion deficit between now and 2009.The costs for this war are projected to hit 200 billion dollars shortly. Canada, wisely, sat this one out. Despite a shared continent, there is no shared appetite for war.

Today, Americans are mired in Iraq and increasingly fearful at home. They are becoming more isolationist – tightening borders, suspending civil liberties and straining relations with traditional allies. Reminiscent of the “America First” policies prevalent early in World War II, they are feared in some parts of the world and disparaged in others. The United States of Martin Luther King, John F. Kennedy and the Peace Corps, is sadly fading.

With isolationism and paranoia comes increased costs. Trucks take longer to cross the Canada-U.S. border. Scanning baggage and passengers from top to bottom delays flights. Fear of world shortages of oil push the price of crude over fifty dollars a barrel. The effects of a weakening U.S. economy are beginning to be felt here in Canada and will soon be felt all over the world.

300 million Americans have had the stuffing punched out of them and there is no end in sight. As their debt increases, government spending on welfare, pensions, education and health will likely be cut to feed the military machine and manage the ballooning debt. People without money simply cannot buy our goods. Like a cork caught in a powerful tide, Canada cannot help but be rocked by the imminent U.S. decline.

Did it matter if Bush won a second term? Not to the Canadian economy. The President will be faced with the same devastating economic problems. The fundamental rot at the core of the American economy will get much worse before it gets better. The need to reconstruct Iraq will demand hundreds of billions in foreign aid.

More restrictive regulations to further strengthen our borders against ever-present terrorists will not ease American paranoia. Joining Missile Defence schemes will do nothing to stimulate trade. Eroding Canadian rights and freedoms will do even less to improve economic ties. Neither will any well intentioned but misguided attempt at appeasement.

Canada is a tough and resilient nation. Our economic situation has improved significantly over the past decade. Today we are the strongest economy in the G-7 with our seventh consecutive budget surplus. Unemployment is at a record low. We cannot escape the effects of a serious economic downturn on the part of our largest trading partner but we can surely withstand the siren call to please, at all costs, a country still in the throws of a desperate need to feel safe.

(**This article appeared in the Toronto Sun, Sunday October 24th – before the U.S. Presidential Election)

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Edited by carbonhoots (11/23/04 01:01 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

General Interest >> Political Discussion