Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewingo
Following thegolden path
 User Gallery

Hunting in Chile
    #2137342 - 11/26/03 10:29 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hi, I live in Chile, and I'd like to start hunting for shrooms. There are not books or guides about growing/hunting mushrooms here, so I would appreciate any kind of help, tips, etc... What could I do?
wingo

--------------------
I've been here before, I've felt this before, but, whose is this body?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: wingo]
    #2137547 - 11/26/03 11:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

There are a few ways to get involved.

If there is a mycological society near you, they are generally very willing to help beginners learn about finding and identifying mushrooms. They tend to focus on edible mushrooms, but the basic ideas on finding and identification are the same for all mushrooms.

Another idea is to visit your local library. They may have some books that cover your area. Even if they don't have any for your specific area, any good book will give you the basic ideas on how to find and identify mushrooms.

If you get books from other areas of the world, be aware of the fact that you will have species that are not in the books and there will be mushrooms in the books that don't grow where you are.

You can also try asking around at a nearby university or college to see if there are any mycologists there. If so, talk to them. They may be willing to help you get started.

In general, the only way to find mushrooms is to go out and look for them. When you find some, note the habitat - everything about it you can. If you want to find more of those same mushrooms, look for more of the same habitat. Habitat includes the trees and other plants growing, what the mushrooms are growing on, the altitude, which side (north, south, etc) of the hill you're on, season, how much rain you've had recently, and lakes and rivers nearby, just to name a few obvious things.

When you find mushrooms, make a collection. You should have specimens of every age (but skip the ones that are so old they're rotting). Make sure you get the entire mushroom, even if you have to dig into the ground a little to get the base of the stem. If you have to dig up a stem base, be careful you don't lose any parts that might be fragile. Make notes of anything that might not survive the trip home (for example, fragile partial veils). Use waxed paper (the best!) or brown paper bags for your collections (never plastic bags).

Good luck and happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2138094 - 11/26/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

sorry for hijacking the thread but why is it a bad idea to use plastic bags?

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: Slite]
    #2138112 - 11/26/03 02:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Plastic bags can make the shrooms rot. They are a big no-no!

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineFuCkYoUplease
Stranger
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: Signo]
    #2138412 - 11/26/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It really doesn't matter unless u r an idiot and don't take them out when u get home.These are the best bags.They have a clip and some kind of thing that will keep it open or closed.I have used these for years.On average one of these bags will hold 6 oz. after dryin'.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: FuCkYoUplease]
    #2138484 - 11/26/03 05:17 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

It may be worth noting that many countries in Europe boast of the ability to produce liberty caps in their dung struck soils, and that collouqialistic varieties of amanita muscaria are known to thrive over almost all of Europe. I found nothing pertaining to Chuile on the web but neighboring countries may be of some help to examine the possibilities they provide. You should certainly look in dung of cattle everywhere especially during the spring and fall thoough this may not ring true for you as I know nothing about your weather at any given time. Moist conditions with heat and cowshit galore often yeild actives almost everywhere and during the appropriate times of the year you may be able to find pan. sub. varieties or sub-species thriving in dung, straw and grass. The substrate is almost always yhe same anywhere you go- dung or wood. Eat nothing and post everything. With luck you may map out new species in new places. Godlessspeed!

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: superblingtheory]
    #2138505 - 11/26/03 05:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sure I've seen pictures of Andean mountain people with handfulls of the most potent looking psilocybes.It's been a mental "keeper" for years.Why not order some mushroom books/book from Amsterdam Holland (go to wwww.smartbotanics.com or www.amazing-nature.com).If you have any problems MAKE SURE you tell them they are for RESEARCH ONLY.Let us know how you get on!
P.S Your indigenous species are rumoured to be VERY psychoactive!

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

OfflineSilverwolf
sandtrout
 User Gallery

Loc: Darkover
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: Silverwolf]
    #2138548 - 11/26/03 05:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

P.S When you talk to the nice people in Holland DO make sure you ask for a book which deals in detail with the mycology (mushrooms and fungi) in your area.

--------------------
"Odrade read the word silently and then aloud.
"Arafel."
She knew this word.Reverend Mothers of the tyrants time had impressed it into the Bene Gesserit consciousness,tracing it's roots to the most ancient sources.
"Arafel:the cloud darkness at the end of the universe.""

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: Silverwolf]
    #2138836 - 11/26/03 08:36 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Most psilocybe and books on magic mushrooms can be puirhased on ebey, amazon.com, barnes and Nobles and B. Daltons and Borders bookstores.

They are readily more available then what they have in Amsterdam is mostly European orientated books on shrooms.

And here is a list of the magioc shrooms known to occur in Chili with references

Chile
Amanita muscaria (Garrido, 1985; Valenzuela et al., 1992)

Conocybe kuhneriana (Singer, 1969; Garrido, 1985; Valenzuela et al., 1992)

Gymnopilus purpuratus (Singer, 1969; Garrido, 1985; Kreisel & Lindequist, 1988; Gartz & Muller, 1990; Gartz, 1991a, b, c, 1996)

G. spectabilis (Singer, 1969; Garrido, 1985; Valenzuela et al., 1992)

Pluteus atricapillus (Garrido, 1985; Valenzuela et al., 1992)
P. glaucus (Garrido, 1985).

Psilocybe carbonaria (Singer, 1969; Guzm?n, 1983; Garrido, 1985)/
P. fimetaria (Singer, 1969; Guzm?n, 1983; Stamets, 1996; Garrido, 1985).
P. lazoi (Singer, 1969; 1986; Guzm?n, 1983, as P. zapotecorum).
P. liniformans var. americana (Guzm?n, 1983; Garrido, 1985; Stamets, 1996).
P. semilanceata (Singer, 1969; Guzm?n, 1983; Garrido, 1985; Redhead, 1989; Samorini, 1993; Stamets, 1996).
P. sierrae (Singer, 1969; Guzm?n, 1983, 1995; Garrido, 1985; Stamets, 1996).
P. strictipes (Singer, 1969; Guzm?n, 1983; Garrido, 1985; Stamets, 1996).
P. zapotecorum (Guzm?n, 1983; Garrido, 1985; Stijve & Meijer, 1993).

Mjshroomer

Offlinewingo
Following thegolden path
 User Gallery

Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2138879 - 11/26/03 08:54 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for all your answers. I'd really like to buy a book, but I can't afford it right now... in a short time I'll be able to buy it, but I don't think there are books that mention mushrooms in Chile, but the chilean ones...and I haven't found any. MJShroomer, do you knwo where could I find those books you said?

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2138891 - 11/26/03 09:01 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Paul Stamets Psilocybine Mushrooms of the World.

The listings for the shromms I listed are from a journal by Gaston Guzman, me and jochen Gartz. That can be found form my site at mushroomjohn.com int he index for articles and probably inthe main index at my site. There were some other species also listed but are probably not psychoactive based on false positives.

mj

I have a copy of the book for sale for twenty dollars for the Stamets plus five dollars shipping. I t is a used library copy and the actual book is $29.00 new, plus shipping. The new printing will go to $34.95 in a month or so.

mj

Offlinewingo
Following thegolden path
 User Gallery

#2138895 - 11/26/03 09:02 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

One more thing... wouldn't be too obvious asking a mycologist? I mean... they know that there are magic mushrooms around, and I don't think he would believe me if I told him/her that I just wanted to pick some mushrooms to make an omelette.

--------------------

Offlinejustsmurfy
little bluetwerp

Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: Slite]
    #2138925 - 11/26/03 09:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Just today I went my local Fred Meyer (American) grocery store and stuck a bunch of extra paper 'mushroom' bags in my cart. They're smallish bags without handles, but I just hunt for edibles and I figure I can keep an number of different species seperate in a larger bag (say a double bag from Trader Joe's-with handles) while I hunt. Frankly, I've had better luck storing sotre-bought buttons in a plastic bag than in the provided paper bag, but then again I think store-bought mushrooms are somewhat dried out by the time I see them. I've had bad luck with plastic bags and wild mushrooms, which made me think store-bought mushrooms might be dried out to begin with.

-JustSmurfy

--------------------
Unsuitable for Human Consumption

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: justsmurfy]
    #2139088 - 11/26/03 11:01 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

and I don't think he would believe me if I told him/her that I just wanted to pick some mushrooms to make an omelette.

you might be pleasantly supprised. i still get quite odd looks from many people, but the hunting of edible mushrooms is common enough, at least in my area, that most people will take my word for it.

also, in two towns i frequently hunt in, many people have come to know me as "that mushroom guy" and are used to seeing me stooping low to the ground in the woods, or walking in the fields in the rain.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: canid]
    #2139151 - 11/26/03 11:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I shouid emoind you that several of those shrooms listed for chili growin manured catle fields. in tall grasses, such as thr liberty caps and P. strictipes and P. fimetaria in manure in fields.

Pictures can be viewed at my site at http://www.mushroomjohn.com/species.htm

mj

Offlinewingo
Following thegolden path
 User Gallery

Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2139765 - 11/27/03 06:41 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I know some places very close to my city that have horses and cows, tall grass, etc.. but it's spring here, summer is comming, and it's very dry; it hasn't rained for a long time. Do I have to wait for a rain, or I might find something? This friend of mine has some mushrooms in his garden, neither of us know if they're good or not. I'll pick them and investigate about them. I hope you can help me.
Thanks,
wingo.

--------------------

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
    #2139826 - 11/27/03 07:58 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Post them- and check for blueing. First you should start with liberty caps if you ask me, since there is a wealth of information and LOTS of pictures readily available. Hunting for mushrooms that are not well known and are unpopular and uncommon to most will often result in confusion while hunting for common actives may yeild better results initially and be less dangerous. If you work with dung- loving species first (p. semilanceata, p. strictipes, etc.....) you have narrowed your chances considerably for misidentification. However do not eat ANYTHING until you know 700% what you have. You should make it a habit to go ahead and post everything and eat nothing. Make notes and examine every mushroom seperately, not by the bundle because oyu picked them all on the same day or somesuch. What is your weather like currently? Highs? Lows? Humidity? You just may be in luck. Happy hunting and good luck.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Offlinewingo
Following thegolden path
 User Gallery

Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: superblingtheory]
    #2140263 - 11/27/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I just got home. My paper bags are empty. I went hunting with a friend, to a place with woods, a little creek, horses (and lots of horse dung), but all the grass was dry. There were some trees with moss, and we looked very carefuly for shrooms, but nothing. I think that after a good rain, that is going to be a good place to go hunting. The average temperarures in this season are: Min. 60 F?, Max. 85? (about 10c? and 30c?); in a couple of months, when it's summer, the max goes up to 90? or more. Today's humidity is 36%.
~~From a webpage~~: The weather of this area is mediterranean, warm, with regular temperature variations between summer and winter. Rains occur mainly between March and September (autumn and winter), and very scarcely in summer. The annual average temperature is 14? Celsius (57 f?); in winter, the average is 9? Celsius (48 F?), and in summer it is 22? Celsius (72 F?), though sometimes it may be higher than 30? (86 F?) in this season.
Are there any possibilities in this season??

Wingo.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2141392 - 11/27/03 11:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

In most temperate climates the main, biggest mushroom season is during autumn. There is another season which is usually not quite as good in spring. Between them there are generally some mushrooms to be found, but not in the quantities or variety they are during the peaks.

For any particular mushroom species, the only way (unless you have references that can tell you) to find out the season is to go out and look for them. Keep track of what you find - you can probably find them again next year at about the same time.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinewingo
Following thegolden path
 User Gallery

Re: Hunting in Chile [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2143085 - 11/28/03 08:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I will go hunting to other places with more tall grass, but for what I've learned here, it's better to wait for the rains... As you said, Toxicman, I think on april-may (our autumn) I'll find the treasure. Thanks for all your comments and tips.
Wingo.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom