Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Dead jars and fanning question
    #2135294 - 11/25/03 05:13 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

If someone I knew had a few jars of brf that had been shot up and sitting for a few weeks but showed no signs if growth would it be possible to PC these the way they are and try again with new spores?

Also on the subject of fruiting chamber fanning. Would drilling holes in the side of the fruiting chamber and gluing a filter disc to the outside over the holes allow enough fresh air into the chamber? Or possibly a hole in one of the chambers that the humidifier dumps into before going into the fruiting chamber? The humidifier has a tube going into 2 1 gallon jugs before going into the fruiting chamber. They don't like the idea of just opening the lid a few times a day and letting unfiltered air in for fear of contams, so any ideas would be appreciated.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Re: Dead jars and fanning question [Re: MadHatR]
    #2135351 - 11/25/03 05:31 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

If the jars dont appear to be contaminated, id just try inoculating them again. Or perhaps poke some better holes in it for gas exchange because no growth might mean a number of things including lack of gas exchange...just a guess.

No, the filter disks block the air too much. Its second only to putting tape over them.
If you keep the room, closet, area clean in the first place, you can just put plain holes without anything.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Dead jars and fanning question [Re: Northernsoul]
    #2136232 - 11/25/03 11:19 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

I would start over again. If you didn't get them to grow the fist time, then there may be something wrong with the jars. Also, jars tend to dry out over time.

If you are using a cool mist humidifier then you really don't need any other type of air exchange. If it's an ultrasonic, then you still need to fan. A filter disk really doesn't do enough.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Dead jars and fanning question [Re: Demiurge]
    #2136270 - 11/25/03 11:41 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

It is a ultrasonic humidifier, could I put a filter disk on the inside and something along the lines of a large computer fan on the outside to push and pull air through? Or am I going through to much trouble? Will the casing be strong enough to fight off contams? How is it when injecting you have to be so carefull that the area and air is clean but in a fruiting chamber you can lift the lid and let frash air in that very well could contain contams?

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Dead jars and fanning question [Re: MadHatR]
    #2136290 - 11/25/03 11:53 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

A computer fan with the an air filter will work great if it is on a timer. If it's run all the time it will kill your humidity though. Just run it for a few minutes every 2 hours. Casings are pretty good at fighting off contams once they are fully colonized, but I would still use an air filter just as a precaution.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Dead jars and fanning question [Re: Demiurge]
    #2138118 - 11/26/03 04:10 PM (13 years, 14 days ago)

With a cool mist humitifier pushing freash air in how do you get the CO2 out?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation