Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDeeBo
Twister

Loc: Upstate
Rye berry Question.
    #2100983 - 11/13/03 09:24 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Wanna try Rye berries but would only be able to PC them in the jar. Unable to cook them first and rinse with my situation. Basically wondering if anyone has followed the tek of just PC'n the rye berries and what advice/success they had? Also was wondering if vegetable oil could be used instead of gypsum to keep form sticking, basically how you do while cooking macaroni, a lil bit oil? thanks all.

--------------------

Lost before found and now the world is upside down....Looked for the Earth and only found the MOON...Keep telling myself the trip will be over soon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: Rye berry Question. [Re: DeeBo]
    #2101129 - 11/13/03 10:15 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

well, it seems like your excluding an important (and easy) step. but, hey, try it out and see what happens. No on the oil thing, oil goes rancid and will definitely lead to contams.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Loc: WV
Re: Rye berry Question. [Re: soochi]
    #2101233 - 11/13/03 10:45 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

oil wont go "rancid" whatever thats supposed to mean. As long as its sterile, obviously, no contams will arise. I doubt that it will help with your stickyness problem since it will most likely be absorbed into the rye berries and not coat the outsides. its worth a try thou.
~M

P.s.- Dont answer if you dont know the answer, its not that hard.

--------------------
Everything I ask is for informational purposes only. There is no truth to what i say. I am lying.

Anonymous

#2101400 - 11/13/03 11:28 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

don't use rye, use birdseed... get a kind that's mostly millet, has few large seeds (esp. sunflower) in it, and contains no fungicides or nutrient pellets. that will work excellently.

now... as for the prep... i've always found that soaking the grain for a little while is the best way to go. for each jar you're going to make, you'll need a little less than half a jar full of dry seed, so measure that out (if you're doing six jars, measure out 6 slightly less than half full jars). then rinse this grain in a colander or seive. then soak it in water for 12-24 hours. after that's done, rinse it real well again in the colander and allow all of the water to drain out (it helps if you repeatedly lift the colander up and move it in a downward motion, reversing abruptly at the bottom of the movement so as to use momentum and gravity to drive out water...). when you can't get any more water to drip out of it, it's ready to load into jars.

load each jar half full of grain (do not fill any higher than that). put your filtered lids on them tightly, cap with aluminum foil, and PC at 15 psi for an hour. as soon as it's done and cool enough to open (an hour or so after it comes off the heat), open it up, and with a pair of oven mits, shake each jar so the grain is all loosened up. this will keep the grain from sticking. let cool overnight, inoculate, and shake like mad.

OfflinefourHoDmt
overclock yourbrain

Re: Rye berry Question. [Re: ]
    #2102274 - 11/13/03 03:19 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

i think that soaking first to hatch any endospores is a pretty vital step. if you can't do that then...eh

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Rye berry Question. [Re: fourHoDmt]
    #2102324 - 11/13/03 03:40 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I really do not think it is that vital IME. I have never prepared rye berries in any other way other than rinsing then pressure cooking in the jar with a bit of water. It has worked for me every time.

Usually I fill the jar a little less than half full with rye berries, water level just below that, and add a pinch of gypsum. PC for 30 minutes, allow to cool. Shake like mad, then PC again for another 30. You?ll get a few dry grains, but it works like a charm for getting the water content right. With a little experimentation, you can get it perfect. Whenever I simmered or soaked grain before hand I would always explode kernels (especially rye). I prefer this way as it is less messy, and I have the ability to accurately gauge the water content.

Other grains I generally prepare in the same way, except popcorn.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineDeeBo
Twister

Loc: Upstate
Re: Rye berry Question. [Re: ATWAR]
    #2102600 - 11/13/03 05:02 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Gonna give it a go with the PC. Havin a hard time finding gypsum though, any suggestions? Thanks All

--------------------

Lost before found and now the world is upside down....Looked for the Earth and only found the MOON...Keep telling myself the trip will be over soon

Invisiblemushy
mush man
    #2103184 - 11/13/03 07:43 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Ive just mixed water and rye in the jars and then p.c. without the gypsum. And had good results. but if you can soak them for 24 hours I would adleast do that. I started with rye its not that hard at all. Good Luck with it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies