Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Nothing can exeed the speed of light.
    #2100050 - 11/13/03 02:08 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

So someone please explain where this scenario breaks down...

Imagine a tube with spheres filling it up. When you put a sphere in one end one falls out the other side. This happens simultaneously because there is only so much space inside the tube. Now make the tube 1 light year long and filled with spheres. When I put one sphere in one side, a sphere falls out the other side at the same time right? The sphere did not travel the distance but the information that a sphere was pushed into the tube at the other end was transmitted instantly.

Where does this break down?

I just thought of what the problem is but I'm curious to see the responses. If there are any.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRunDMT
H?L? GH??
Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #2100140 - 11/13/03 02:50 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Speed of thought.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: RunDMT]
    #2100240 - 11/13/03 03:33 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It occurred to me that the amount of energy it would take to push them through would be infinite. even if you could use photons for the spheres.

On second thought mayber not. There would be a finite amount of particles in the pube requiring a finite amount of enery to get them moving.

--------------------

Edited by mntlfngrs (11/13/03 06:51 AM)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2101092 - 11/13/03 10:06 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

The ammount of energy needed wouldn't be infinite.

But the time required for the energy to transmit down the tube would require a year of time (if the tube was a light-year long).

As you push the one sphere in, it presses against the next sphere and energy is transfered into that sphere. The chain flows down the tube to the other end, but not faster than the speed of light. I think there would be some compression of the spheres as well (over such a long distance) that would begin at the entrance to the tube and flow as a shock-wave down the tube (but again, not at the speed of light).

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: trendal]
    #2102237 - 11/13/03 03:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

What trendal said....!

On molecule level(molecules can't exceed the speed of light  :smirk:):

If you push the sphere, the molecules on the edge of the sphere will move and push other molecules in the sphere, these molecules will push other molecules==> chain reaction. It's a wave of movement in de spheres, but the wave can never exceed the speed of light. 

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: Annom]
    #2102268 - 11/13/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Ok then let's say it isn't spheres in a tube, but one single steel rod one light year long. In space there is no friction, so any ammount of energy can move the rod. Therefore, you can push the rod one foot, and the other end of the rod has travelled one foot, one light year away. I see no way of escaping the reality that this equals an instantaneous transfer of information one light year away.

Very interesting thread, worthy of S$P attention.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #2102311 - 11/13/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You didn't read what I and trendal said or you don't understand what we said.

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
    #2102345 - 11/13/03 03:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

No, I read it. So in the case of the steel rod, I guess you'd say that the molecules in the rod would move in a wave too? That's true I would think, yes.

Now consider this, what would happen if a spaceship travelling at 10,000 miles per hour turns on its "headlights"? Would the light emitted by these headlights be travelling at the speed of light relative to the ship? And if so, wouldn't that light be travelling at a rate of speed equal to the speed of light plus 10,000 miles per hour relative to a stationary observer?

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
    #2102366 - 11/13/03 03:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You had better start studying relativity. It's been too long since I had it in Physics, so I'm not going to try and explain.

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #2102376 - 11/13/03 03:53 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

No I understand it but I can't remember which way it goes.
I mean how often do you have to discuss relativity to get on a bus or get into a movie...

So even the energy transfer through the rod would progress as a shockwave, is that what you mean?

--------------------

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: blink]
    #2102397 - 11/13/03 04:02 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't really thought about the rod/wave thing. I know the scenario is wrong, but I don't know how to argue against it on a technical basis.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: blink]
    #2102401 - 11/13/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

> If it was a solid mass that wouldnt change anything?

No, doesn't matter, molecules in a solid have much space between each other.

> My understanding is that the transfer of energy isn't bound by the speed of light,

Transfer of energy is bound to the speed of light. Nothing is instant(according Einstein).

>and if it was, the rod would either stretch or compress until the energy made it's way down the line...

True!

"Now consider this, what would happen if a spaceship travelling at 10,000 miles per hour turns on its "headlights"? Would the light emitted by these headlights be travelling at the speed of light relative to the ship? And if so, wouldn't that light be travelling at a rate of speed equal to the speed of light plus 10,000 miles per hour relative to a stationary observer?"

:smile:

Now it does get interesting. That's food for the mind. Read about Einstein. It has to do with relativity. I can't explain it because it's pretty hard to understand. 

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2102431 - 11/13/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Here is a MODEL of what would happen into an iron rod when you push it.

The red spheres are iron-particles(ions) in the iron rod:

The red spheres can't exceed light speed.... see what happens?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #2102521 - 11/13/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Now consider this, what would happen if a spaceship travelling at 10,000 miles per hour turns on its "headlights"? Would the light emitted by these headlights be travelling at the speed of light relative to the ship? And if so, wouldn't that light be travelling at a rate of speed equal to the speed of light plus 10,000 miles per hour relative to a stationary observer?

No. The measured velocity of the light beam to both observers will be the same.

Here's a thought experiment that might help you get the idea:

Suppose that the universe came into being at a single point, that at the moment it came into being there was emission of a spherical wave front of light, and we will consider that spherical wave front to be the boundary of the universe. Everything expands outward from the original center point. Allow a great deal of time to pass - say, 15 billion years.

Where is the center of the universe? At any point within the universe, if you measure your distance to the boundary in all directions, your measurements will say that you are at the center. Also, at any point within the universe, you will see that everything else is moving away from you, and the relative velocity of each thing will be proportional to the distance they are from you.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinestudent
Stranger

#2102593 - 11/13/03 05:01 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Here is a good way to think about it:

You turn on the light switch. And "instantly" the lights turn on. All it takes is for the switch to be flipped and the circuit to be closed. One electron pushes the next, and so one. The time that it takes for the lights to turn on, is the time that it takes for the closest electron to move. The electrons do not move at the speed of light from the switch to the light. They move at their drift velocity over the whole length of the wire. It does not matter if the light is next to you or a light year away.
---
And for the ship turning on its lights. The light from the space ship moves at the speed of light in a vacuum, c. Since c is the "universal speed limit", the speed of the ship has no effect on the speed that the light travels. Even if the ship was moving backwards, or the lights were on the rear of the ship.
---
If anything were to move faster than the speed of light, it would effect causality. The effect would be proceed the cause.
---
If you want to learn more about this kind of stuff, I suggest reading Hyperspace by Michio Kaku.

student

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #2102620 - 11/13/03 05:10 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Lightningfractal said:

Think about this: If you point a flashlight in one direction and another flashlight 180 degrees from the first one, and look at the situation from the perspective of a light particle emitted from the first flashlight, then a light particle emitted from the second flash light would travelling at 2X the speed of light. Still, the particle is travelling from its source at the speed of light.

The point is this: There is no central spot in space to witch the speeds of all moving things are measured against. The spaceship isn't travelling at 10,000 miles per hour, it's travelling at 10,000 miles per hour in relation to something (like moving 10,000 miles away from earth in an hour). If there was comet moving in the same direction as the spaceship at the same speed, and there was a person sitting on top of the comet, then from the person's perspective the spaceship wouldn't be moving at all.

Second point: The speed of light can be exceeded by quantum teleportation. No, I'm not talking about science fiction.
I won't go explain it here because it's pretty complicated, so read about it here:

http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/
http://www.geocities.com/grymse/quantum.html
http://www.aip.org/physnews/graphics/html/teleport.htm

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: ummikko]
    #2103444 - 11/13/03 08:45 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Entangled pairs, There are a lot of interesting possibilities if we can harness their potential. The teleportation aspect or teleportation as it is normaly thoughtof is not realy what happenas with entangled pairs though. At least tpo my understanding. But they can transmitt information. If we could create matter from energy in such a way as to be able to make flesh and bone from available energy using a blueprint, and if we could encode the life memory and consienceness into it, we might have a kind of teleportation but it would more resemble a copy process. Of course we would have to send one half of the entangled pair to the destination via a ship taveling within the restrictions of normal space.

If we could learn to transfer the essance of a person into binary data and reconstitute that person fron the data, we could start to colonize the universe. I see a future where we will begin by decreasing the risk of extinction by colonizing at least two other civilizations in the solar system. Then reaching out to the nearest viable system with our entangled pairs device. This would be the longest stage as we wait for the ship to reach destination. Imagine a device you could walk through and be deconstructed into binary data, trans mitted via entagled pairs and reconstructed an a ship that is on its way to a new gallactic colony. Once the remote terminal was set up, thousands of colonists could instantly be there to start a colony.

Geez, I think I'm reading to much RAH and watching to much Stargate and shit.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2103791 - 11/13/03 09:58 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Imagine a tube with spheres filling it up. When you put a sphere in one end one falls out the other side. This happens simultaneously because there is only so much space inside the tube. Now make the tube 1 light year long and filled with spheres. When I put one sphere in one side, a sphere falls out the other side at the same time right? The sphere did not travel the distance but the information that a sphere was pushed into the tube at the other end was transmitted instantly.

By the time the tube got filled up it would take too much energy to push the first object (even if it's just a sub atomic particles) to get the chain reaction started. This intial energy would approach the energy needed to propell something the speed of light.

Short answer: this thought experiment is probably physically impossible in the actual universe.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: monoamine]
    #2103838 - 11/13/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

That is what I was thinking at first but after some thought I think that there are a finite amount of particles and therfore a finite amount of energy required.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Nothing can exeed the speed of light. [Re: student]
    #2104020 - 11/13/03 10:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You turn on the light switch. And "instantly" the lights turn on. All it takes is for the switch to be flipped and the circuit to be closed. One electron pushes the next, and so one. The time that it takes for the lights to turn on, is the time that it takes for the closest electron to move. The electrons do not move at the speed of light from the switch to the light. They move at their drift velocity over the whole length of the wire. It does not matter if the light is next to you or a light year away.

The electrons are not moving along the wire while the switch is closed. There is a "pressure" (voltage) of electrons on the hot side of the switch. When you close the switch, the pressure is released and begins to push electrons down the wire. But the electrons can't all start moving at the same time. The exact same thing applies here as with the balls in the tube (except here it is the distance between the electrons which is fluctuating and creating a wave).

The principle behind all this is that no information can travel faster than light, according to Relativity.

For the light to turn on instantly when you flip the switch, some "information" would be transfered through space faster than light, which is not possible.

This is the case because force carrying particles move at the speed of light. Light is, after all, just photons and waves in the ElectroMagnetic Force (EM). So if light travells at 300,000 m/s then the force-carrying particles for the EM force must be what is moving at that speed.

This is true for the other three fundamental forces, they all travel at the speed of light.

So no "force" that you use to push on something will cause something far away to move before the "signal" can get there at light-speed.

In fact for anything above quantum-atomic levels (force-carrier particles themselves) the information travels at significantly lower than the speed of light, due to friction and such occuring.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale