Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushroom Growin
Stranger

Périgord Truffles?
    #6838207 - 04/26/07 06:52 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I've searched , and as far as I can find , noone offers truffle spores!
I talked to a truffle grower in Tennesse , and he said just throw a fresh truffle in the blender and you'll have a nice spore solution , mix with water and dunk hazelnut tree roots into the bath , then plant in a non acidic soil , for best results!
Anyone know where I could get a fresh truffle this time of year for $50 or under?
And if anyone knows of a place that offers truffle spores please tell me!

--------------------
MG

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
Re: Périgord Truffles? [Re: Mushroom Growin]
    #6845209 - 04/28/07 12:53 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Truffles are recolected from december to March so it might be a little bit late to get a fresh one and if possible very expensive.
Cultivation is difficult and slow. If you want to do it that way, clean the truffle very well before making the slurry and use distilled water. The use of a mature truffle is prefered. I would get seeds of the host tree and let them stand in the slurry for one day shaking it frecuently. Then plant on pots the seeds in sterilized soil which should have a content in organic material of less than 0,7%, N < 0,4%, calcium > 0,5% and C/N ratio of 10, ph=8. Water the pots with the slurry. Once the seeds germinate transplant them to larger containers, use sterilized soil. After 1 or 2 years is time to plant them to the definitive place, but before make sure there are mycorrizae formed in the roots.
It´s not an easy project but good luck.

PD: Source: Cultivo de Setas y Trufas (M.Garcia Rollán) (Ediciones Mundi-Prensa 2003).

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

Offlinesomeone21
Stranger
Re: Périgord Truffles? [Re: Semilanceata]
    #20976270 - 12/14/14 05:08 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I've read about some local farmers successfully growing these - the first one was found a few years ago, and there are now 4 or 6 farmers attempting to grow them nearby.

I know someone with a few acres of old growth hazelnut trees. From my quick reading here and elsewhere today, spores are typically applied to seeds or seedlings… but what about inoculating the ground amongst the roots of old growth hazelnut trees? Is this a possible method? What sort of soil/ground prep would need to be done?

Ideally I'd be able to do whatever prep work is required in terms of soil testing, nutrients, ground cover etc at whatever time of year is ideal, then blend up some truffles and inject them in between the root systems all over the place and then wait and see what happens… that's my current thought process on it. Please feel free to correct me if this line of thinking is simply not a feasible method of producing truffles. Any input and advice is appreciated!

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Périgord Truffles? [Re: someone21]
    #20976638 - 12/14/14 07:02 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I spoke with the gentleman in TN too he's just a couple hours from me.  He said you'd be better off buying pre inoculated trees than trying it yourself.  Imagine how hard it is trying to keep competitor fungi out of a sterile room of seedlings for years!  I imagine you'd be better off eating a truffle than shooting it straight into the ground.

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

Offlineleschampignons
Biochemistry + Mycology
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/NJ/ME Flag
Re: Périgord Truffles? [Re: drake89]
    #20976900 - 12/14/14 08:10 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

drake89 said:
I spoke with the gentleman in TN too he's just a couple hours from me.  He said you'd be better off buying pre inoculated trees than trying it yourself.  Imagine how hard it is trying to keep competitor fungi out of a sterile room of seedlings for years!  I imagine you'd be better off eating a truffle than shooting it straight into the ground.

This could prob be avoided by directly adding the fungus to seeds as they germinate.(germinating them on a agar dish, for instance)

OP if you or anyone else gets a hold of a fresh truffle or spores, I'd be interested in buying/trading for these genetics.

A clean culture could probably be obtained by diluting a spore slurry and plating it on agar, or simply by trial and error with a fresh truffle.

--------------------
leschampignons Trade List

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Périgord Truffles? [Re: leschampignons]
    #20977588 - 12/14/14 11:00 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

leschampignons said:
Quote:

drake89 said:

This could prob be avoided by directly adding the fungus to seeds as they germinate.(germinating them on a agar dish, for instance)

OP if you or anyone else gets a hold of a fresh truffle or spores, I'd be interested in buying/trading for these genetics.

A clean culture could probably be obtained by diluting a spore slurry and plating it on agar, or simply by trial and error with a fresh truffle.

This fella wrote his dissertation on truffle growing back in the late 60s and was the first American orchard.  I tend to believe him when he says the myc is hard to grow and that the inoculation methods are very basic.  Spore slurry into seedling/saplings and monitoring them for growth and contamination.

--------------------

Offlinesomeone21
Stranger
Re: Périgord Truffles? [Re: drake89]
    #20980189 - 12/15/14 03:28 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

So it's advisable to do it from seeds/seedlings vs. inoculating the ground between the root systems of mature hazelnut trees, eh? But can the latter be done?

I recall reading an article about the first black truffle farm setup here in BC a few years ago. I can't find that same article again, but I remember reading that they grew their grove of trees for a handful of years first and then had a mycologist come up from Washington state to inoculate the ground with truffle spores. I'm sure that is what I read vs. them stating that they planted seedlings with spores already growing on the root systems.

I've emailed a couple of people about this and am awaiting their responses.

Thing is, I have access to quite a large area of old growth hazelnut trees.. and if there's a decent chance of success of being able to grow these amongst them, then I think it might just be worth the try. But first I want to know if it's possible or probable that it will work before I go investing in soil prep & buying truffles to blend into a slurry I can inject underground.

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Périgord Truffles? [Re: someone21]
    #20981105 - 12/15/14 06:03 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

It's worth a shot if you've got money to gamble.  Payoff could be big.  You could also just be wasting $1000 in truffles.  Who knows?  Call the farm in BC.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag