Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKevin
IES
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: Eightball]
    #3993144 - 03/30/05 11:48 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

im in oregon where black truffles grow.

spores might be hard to obtain. a tissue culture would make more sense.

ill see what i can find this spring, and if i find a good truffle, maybe give it to Joshua. He is good with that stuff, and could produce some viable petris im sure, and grow mycel syringes and such if hed be down

--------------------
"Is it a mile walking, or a mile driving?" - dobie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: Kevin]
    #3993961 - 03/31/05 07:30 AM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Well, how about purchasing one fresh, and then taking tissue clones?

Ill look today, see if I can order a couple.

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: XTCollection]
    #3994553 - 03/31/05 09:59 AM (19 years, 20 days ago)

I have not found a single reference to T. melanosporum being successfuly cultured on agar. This may be the biggest obstacle. Most ref's talk about inoculating roots with spore solution.

I did find one ref that said all that could be grown on agar to date was slime (albeit with the correct DNA markers)! Home cult may involve something along the lines of TC of selected trees roots', and inoculating this with spores/ mycelium. This is definitely over my head at this point (although I have recently been getting into TC).

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: Olgualion]
    #3994892 - 03/31/05 11:05 AM (19 years, 20 days ago)

Maybe this is a looooong stretch but: What if one were to find out which trees truffles prefer, take some roots from that tree and extract all of the oils, nutrients, etc.. through distilation, sterylize it and add that to the agar? What if it's not the root system they prefer but a chemical message that root provides or maybe even other microorganisms tree roots also harbor/attract. Just a thought.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #3995369 - 03/31/05 01:13 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

mabey you could just grind the roots up...what types of trees do they grow under/on...im down...got a whole forest to work with...

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: THEDANGLER]
    #3995443 - 03/31/05 01:29 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

basically any trees besides pine and cypress i think. but it would be very tough finding some without a pig or knowing its an orchard for truffles. Also preferably we should focus on french white or black truffles considering they are the most expensive. Different strains of truffle will likely require modifications in the substrate/agar.

definitely just start browsing google and learn more bout the truffles. if you come across something important, post it.

also im thrilled in the responses this thread has had. Keep up the good work.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #3995485 - 03/31/05 01:39 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

THEDANGLER said:
mabey you could just grind the roots up...what types of trees do they grow under/on...im down...got a whole forest to work with...

1stly, you would know that several species can be utilised if you take the time to read the links that have been posted in this very thread...

Quote:

For the inoculation experiment three tree species (Quercus robur, Carpinus betulus and Corylus avellana),

Quote:

The fungus forms a symbiotic relationship with hazel (Corylus avellana) and oak (Quercus spp) trees.

2ndly, you might be on to something but I would be willing to be that the roots are FAR more useful alive as opposed to ground up. The root system acts as a mycelial extension... and vice versa. The roots are capable of nutrient conversion and separation the mycelia isn't and well, vice versa. My assertion is particularly bolstered by some of the evidence presented in the above referenced links.

InvisibleTHEDANGLER
The Mushroom Tip
 User Gallery

Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: debianlinux]
    #3995711 - 03/31/05 02:17 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

yes your right i didn't read the links...i have tons of hard wood trees behind my house so im not worried about wasting some rots if i could get some mycilla to grow on it...i know that some symbiotic mushrooms will grow on agar but wont fruit could this be the case with truffles to?

--------------------
TONS OF SPORES TO TRADE PM ME!!!!

OfflineGourmetGuy
PersistentDabbler

Loc: Seattle
    #3999536 - 04/01/05 09:52 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Since no one has mentioned it yet, here is a link to New World Truffieres.
http://www.truffletree.com/
These guys inoculate seedling hazelnut trees with Tuber melanosporum and other truffles. They say "These seedlings are checked individually to confirm the presence of the fungus and we provide a quality guarantee that the trees are viable, abundantly colonized by the truffle ectomycorrhizae and completely free of competitor species." One seedling is $30. To get this project going, I suggest someone obtains a seedling, and then learns how to identify the truffle ectomycorrhizae (microscope?). From this point, the shroomery folks can try out different recipes for culturing and see what works. Since truffles require host plants, I will be interested to here what ideas people have beyond the traditional approach of infecting the roots an oak tree or hazelnut tree.
-Mark, Seattle

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: GourmetGuy]
    #3999568 - 04/01/05 10:01 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Okay, ordering 8 seedlings today.

Edit - I rarely use offensive words in my post, but awsome fucking link.

Edited by XTCollection (04/01/05 10:02 AM)

OfflineGourmetGuy
PersistentDabbler

Loc: Seattle
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: XTCollection]
    #3999641 - 04/01/05 10:20 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Apologies to Eightball. He was the first to point out
http://www.truffletree.com
-Mark

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: GourmetGuy]
    #3999772 - 04/01/05 10:50 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: Speeker]
    #4006613 - 04/02/05 08:52 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

My parents have been talking about getting rid of their yew bush, perhaps I will convince them to replace it with a truffle inoculated hazelnut.

Aside from that, I will be culturing American Beech soon and attempting to culture Cantharellus as mycorhizzae.

Offlinedirtworshipper
Sitting in the heart cave
Male User Gallery

Loc: at The Guru's lotus feet
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: Eightball]
    #7527901 - 10/17/07 02:00 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

So, i'm really interested if any one has any news on the truffles?

Anyone found them underneath their tree's yet or anything?

I'm very intrigued
and I want some truffles
:smilingpuppy:

--------------------

“You've got as many lives as you like, and more, even ones you don't want.” - George Harrison

Offlinekoopa_troopa
the fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: dirtworshipper]
    #8973400 - 09/23/08 02:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

did anyone have any luck.. im very interested in this

--------------------

Koopa Out
OfThisWorld,SmilingDownOnOurs: BirsdEyeView,NeverNewLife,PastsFastAsCars

Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: koopa_troopa]
    #8973621 - 09/23/08 03:13 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think it ever got off the ground. I moved shortly after this and then didn't have the place for cultivation, so I never even got started. :ohwell:

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

Offlineasci
HONGO
Male
Loc: oregon
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: pinkfloydms]
    #8980731 - 09/24/08 08:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

there are several ways to inoculate tuber species with the specific photobiont, one technique is to expose the fruit body glebla to soil of the invitro seedling or creating a spore/tissue solution. in regards to the spore germination on a sterilized media it is difficult and is a fairly slow process, and only certain species have proven successful invitro. as for the fruiting process of VAM/AM or ect's mycorrhizal fungi, plantation's are currently the only option for fruit formation. there is another aspect to think of and that is fungal succession in the rhizosphere, this mainly has relevance with the indigenous tuber species of the pacific northwest. i would imagine the cultivation of european tuber would be far more lucrative, but would also entail changing the surrounding ecology to facilitate the health and productivity of the european species. there has been great success with plantations located in new zealand, and limited success in oregon.

OfflineGlobal_exotics
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: asci]
    #8982703 - 09/25/08 03:50 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well guys I think I have your solution, I am a truffle dealer, selling mainly European truffle species. Next month our partner from France is coming over to help us set up our farm. So I see you guys need truffle spores, well I have them, tons of them, I will be listing them on ebay as soon as my first shipment arrives (they are clearing customs now). They are Italian black truffles (tuber aestivum vitt). This species will probably be the simplest for you to cultivate. If you want more information you can email me at biberstine79@yahoo.com the spores are suspended in a nutrient base and I have directions for use.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: Global_exotics]
    #8982953 - 09/25/08 06:03 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I've thought about this a bit.  What about maple syrup in agar?  I'm not kidding!  Maple syrup is essentially concentrated tree sap.  Isn't this what mycorrhizal species receive from the tree?

Another thought.  How about air layering?  If you find a tree that hosts the mycorrhizal species you'd like to propagate, make up a culture of that mushroom species and add it to soil from around the tree, then use a Rooter-Pot or something on one of the tree branches.  As the cutting sends out new roots, they would immediately associate with the desired mushroom species.  Rooting hormone probably wouldn't work with this method because commercial rooting hormones generally contain antifungal compounds.  Air layering takes months, especially with slow growing tree species like oaks, so this is a project that would start in the Spring and would require a bit of fussing over to keep cool and hydrated since you can't use live sphagnum moss, which is the normal method.

I've used air layering techniques to root cuttings from my bay laurel, and it works surprisingly well.  I think the upside to this would be that you're recreating the existing relationship, as the tree and the mushroom species would be genetically identical.  Downside?  Still need the tree.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineGlobal_exotics
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Truffle Production Team [Re: Paresthesia]
    #8984412 - 09/25/08 01:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

what do you guys want? Truffle spores or actual truffles?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures