Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: morrowasted]
    #20934306 -

I might bake a pizza and make some buttered garlic and spicach to go along with it.:drooling:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Patlal]
    #20934313 -

Patlal said:
You, you have to grab 10$ and go to a pho place.

It's a life experience on its own.

After, you'll understand what the rave is all about.

A picture says a 1000 words. But it is also tasteless. Go taste pho and come back



Yeah again, it doesn't taste anything like Western soup. No Western soup tastes nearly as good as pho. Minestrone, chicken noodle soup, you will realize these are essentially crap soup flavors compared to pho.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Crystal G]
    #20934319 -

Crystal G said:
Shroomslip said:
I need substantial food chunks to find soup (or anything in that family) good. I mean if it was just an appetizer or something I can appreciate the complex flavors in a broth, but making that the main course I just couldn't do. A really brothy soup type thing will make me feel full but I'll be far less than satisfied.

I'm mostly a carnivore. I cannot survive without meat. Everything must have huge chunks of meat at the minimum, but actually I could just live off (happily) meat cooked over an open fire and nothing else. If it weren't so expensive, that's probably what I would be doing now.



There are noodles, vegetables, and slices of beef or pork that usually come in pho. Pho is the name for noodles, and noodles actually comprise most of the broth.

FYI, there is about 10grams of protein alone just based on the noodles, that is not counting any of the meat included in pho noodle soup.




Or, of course, ox-tail...well made pho with oxtail is just indescribably amazing.


--------------------
"I have no way of knowing whether you, who eventually will read this record, like stories or not. If you do not, no doubt you have turned these pages without attention. I confess that I love them. Indeed, it often seems to me that of all the good things in the world, the only ones humanity can claim for itself are stories and music; the rest, mercy, beauty, sleep, clean water and hot food (as the Ascian would have said) are all the work of the Increate. Thus, stories are small things indeed in the scheme of the universe, but it is hard not to love best what is our own—hard for me, at least."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Cj-B]
    #20934323 -

Cj-B said:
Or, of course, ox-tail...well made pho with oxtail is just indescribably amazing.



Oh yeah, I forgot about oxtail pho. I always order with oxtail whenever I see it, but I've only been to 1 place in California that does the oxtail well. The oxtail has to be slowly rendered and softened over a period of 2-3 days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Crystal G]
    #20934325 -

Crystal G said:
Shroomslip said:
What's so special about pho? People rave about it all the time but it looks like just basic soup or something. I am not a fan of pasta/noodles or soup.



If you get it done at a good place, it's not really like soup. It's more like beef BROTH, with a very rich complexity of flavors, and people who crave salty flavors generally love pho.



It is definitely like broth, super savory. (cooked) Fresh onions and ginger are pretty much crucial, but quite a few spices are common (cloves, anise, coriander) in Pho and Vietnamese food in general. Not so common in Western cuisine. Top with some fresh mint and basil, and chopped chiles :drooling:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Patlal]
    #20934336 -

I don't think there is anywhere near by for me to get pho, at least good pho. I don't really live in a big city so places like that don't really exist here. If I could find it, it would most likely be some mass produced crap that got sent in a box and just heated up.

And noodles just don't do it for me. I don't like pasta or noodles. Never really have. Meat for me isn't just about protein, it's about the taste and consistency. The day pasta/noodles could replicate that, I'd be all for switching but nothing is like meat IMO. The closest thing to it is mushrooms and I couldn't just live off of those, though I do like them. The consistency just isn't right, but the flavor is definitely there.

If I want pho I'd probably have to make it myself. Cooking is a hobby of mine so I could do it. I've just not had very much luck recreating authentic 'ethnic' cuisine. I mean I can make a good stir fry, but it's never as good as authentic.


--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #20934357 -

That's why you don't understand. Because real pho is as good as eating steak, it is basically like eating a big puddle of steak flavor. It's got a very rich, meaty flavor, almost like eating beef curry.

Are there no Vietnamese by where you live or something?

You know how people always say they need to eat meat with every meal, until they go to a real, authentic Indian vegetarian restaurant, and they say, "It tastes just like I'm eating meat?" It's a similar phenomenon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #20934361 -

Another note on pho since its such an amzing thing.

When you suspect you're coming down with a cold, you know, unexplained fatigue, minor headache focused above your eyes, minor shivers. Just go for pho.

Order an XL Pho Tai with extra onions.

1) Eat the beef
2) Eat the onions
3) drink at least half the broth in the bowl (yes taht's a lot)
4) eat a many noodles as you can.

Once you get home, throw your broth filled self on your bed and sleep for 2 hours.

Then cold will then signal you to cough on someone because it gave up on you.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Crystal G]
    #20934368 -

Crystal G said:
Shroomslip said:
What's so special about pho? People rave about it all the time but it looks like just basic soup or something. I am not a fan of pasta/noodles or soup.



If you get it done at a good place, it's not really like soup. It's more like beef BROTH, with a very rich complexity of flavors, and people who crave salty flavors generally love pho.



Crystal nails the description - I would also at it an especially comforting treat during these winter months, your whole body feels flush with warmth, like ramen on crack.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Hellogoodbyedeath]
    #20934372 -

Cojo said:
Webster10 said:
morrowasted said:
damn Cojo will that keep you full for very long?



I was about to say, where is the actual food :confused: How small are you, Cojo?



It did for maybe 45 minutes.

I'm 5'3" and 110 lbs.



Oh, I was under the impression that was like a full meal that was supposed to hold you over for a few hours at least :lol:, that is my mistake.


--------------------
:leaf: :usa:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #20934373 -

Shroomslip said:
I don't think there is anywhere near by for me to get pho, at least good pho. I don't really live in a big city so places like that don't really exist here. If I could find it, it would most likely be some mass produced crap that got sent in a box and just heated up.

And noodles just don't do it for me. I don't like pasta or noodles. Never really have. Meat for me isn't just about protein, it's about the taste and consistency. The day pasta/noodles could replicate that, I'd be all for switching but nothing is like meat IMO. The closest thing to it is mushrooms and I couldn't just live off of those, though I do like them. The consistency just isn't right, but the flavor is definitely there.

If I want pho I'd probably have to make it myself. Cooking is a hobby of mine so I could do it. I've just not had very much luck recreating authentic 'ethnic' cuisine. I mean I can make a good stir fry, but it's never as good as authentic.




It's really not a very difficult dish to make yourself...just fairly time-consuming. Like Crystal G said, a good ox-tail pho takes many hours (though days is preferable for maximum flavor/tenderness) to prepare. Obviously you're not too involved in the process for the majority of it but it's still much longer from start to finish than most pasta/soup dishes.


--------------------
"I have no way of knowing whether you, who eventually will read this record, like stories or not. If you do not, no doubt you have turned these pages without attention. I confess that I love them. Indeed, it often seems to me that of all the good things in the world, the only ones humanity can claim for itself are stories and music; the rest, mercy, beauty, sleep, clean water and hot food (as the Ascian would have said) are all the work of the Increate. Thus, stories are small things indeed in the scheme of the universe, but it is hard not to love best what is our own—hard for me, at least."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Cj-B]
    #20934377 -

Cj-B said:
It's really not a very difficult dish to make yourself...just fairly time-consuming. Like Crystal G said, a good ox-tail pho takes many hours (though days is preferable for maximum flavor/tenderness) to prepare. Obviously you're not too involved in the process for the majority of it but it's still much longer from start to finish than most pasta/soup dishes.



Cj-B is right, really truly good pho actually takes 2-3 days to make.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Webster10]
    #20934412 -

Webster10 said:
Oh, I was under the impression that was like a full meal that was supposed to hold you over for a few hours at least :lol:, that is my mistake.



Oh no, haha! When I prepare meals, I intentionally take small portion sizes. Because I'd honestly rather still be a little hungry than painfully full / bloated.

I can never find a perfect medium, anyway, so I guess it works out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Crystal G]
    #20934418 -

Nah there are no Vietnamese places around here. There is a Vietnamese chain restaurant but the closest one is at least a 30-45 minute drive away. Being a chain restaurant I don't really put a lot of faith in them for authenticity either.

There are tons of ethnic restaurants, but like the chain one mentioned above, they're all a 30-45 minute drive away (to downtown in Houston). Short of that, it's all chain fast food and restaurants with the exception of a couple of independent steak houses. Independent restaurants around here tend to fail and close within a month. If I ever get the chance to try it, I'll certainly give it a shot out of curiosity though.

I might even decide to make it myself, but just am afraid of it not coming out right.


--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Shroomslip]
    #20934446 -

Cojo said:
Oh no, haha! When I prepare meals, I intentionally take small portion sizes. Because I'd honestly rather still be a little hungry than painfully full / bloated.

I can never find a perfect medium, anyway, so I guess it works out.



That is actually the best way to stay healthy. There's a saying in lots of Asian countries, that you should only eat until you are about 70-80% full. You should not over-eat, or eat until you are completely full. That is the way you live a long life.

Shroomslip said:
Nah there are no Vietnamese places around here. There is a Vietnamese chain restaurant but the closest one is at least a 30-45 minute drive away. Being a chain restaurant I don't really put a lot of faith in them for authenticity either.

There are tons of ethnic restaurants, but like the chain one mentioned above, they're all a 30-45 minute drive away (to downtown in Houston). Short of that, it's all chain fast food and restaurants with the exception of a couple of independent steak houses. Independent restaurants around here tend to fail and close within a month. If I ever get the chance to try it, I'll certainly give it a shot out of curiosity though.



Oh okay, you're in Texas. Well that explains that. I've had friends in California move to Texas, and they say all the Asian food sucks. Especially the Thai food, they say it's fucking nasty and tastes like it came out of a can and somebody just microwaved it.

Also, Vietnamese chain restaurant? I've never heard of such a thing. Is it like a Panda Express of Vietnamese food? :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Crystal G]
    #20934461 -

I'm dying to try Thai food, it has a reputation to be spicy, correct? At least that's what I've heard and I love spicy food. I was going to go with my girl one night but we looked inside and the place was PACKED, so we said fuck no. Someday we will try it though, it's been bothering me for a while.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Crystal G]
    #20934462 -

It's called Kim son. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_S%C6%A1n_%28restaurant%29

My wife keeps bugging me to go there but I don't really want to. It's a long drive for shit food. it's a chain restaurant so I'm sure it's no better than any other chain restaurant.


--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Crystal G]
    #20934469 -

Crystal G said:
That is actually the best way to stay healthy. There's a saying in lots of Asian countries, that you should only eat until you are about 70-80% full. You should not over-eat, or eat until you are completely full. That is the way you live a long life.




I didn't know that. :shocked: Thanks for the information!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Peace of Mind 1]
    #20934478 -

I like the spicy and non-spicy varieties of Thai food.  If you go to a good place, you'll get the best tofu of your life.  You know, if you're into that kind of thing.


--------------------
ShiVersblood said:
shut ur fucking mouth. before a penis is are be enters

LordSenate said:
Cheese poop... Who gives a fuck gotta eat lots of cheese.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What are you having for dinner? [Re: Crystal G]
    #20934481 -

Crystal G said:
That is actually the best way to stay healthy. There's a saying in lots of Asian countries, that you should only eat until you are about 70-80% full. You should not over-eat, or eat until you are completely full. That is the way you live a long life.



Makes sense. I believe it's also true that eating slow is a key part in not over eating, supposedly it takes your brain 20 minutes to fully process how full you are, which is a problem for me because naturally I eat too fucking fast. I don't know why, I always had 6 people in the house so it's possible it stems from the whole "get it before someone else does" thing, but I don't know, it's very possible I'm just a slob.

I'm not fat though, yet. :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Thizz and Mongolian beef budmanman 978 9 05/20/07 10:35 PM
by kosmic_charlie
* Just made dinner...it tasted like ass polantis 777 18 09/15/08 08:09 AM
by arbalest
* dinner on the toilet anyone? Lndrydusting 740 5 03/04/09 08:25 PM
by Newbie
* Dinner. All Homemade.
( 1 2 all )
TM 2,387 34 09/19/07 09:54 PM
by mytymyc
* What are you having for dinner
( 1 2 all )
thatiAM 1,804 29 12/01/06 09:18 PM
by unbeliever
* .
( 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 all )
z_x_x_z 6,049 206 09/20/10 11:22 PM
by akira_akuma
* If some hot ass asked you to make her dinner, what would you make her?
( 1 2 3 all )
deranger 2,659 46 12/16/09 12:11 AM
by Mr.Pink
* What's For Dinner? daimyo 813 15 02/15/06 06:59 PM
by angryjslice

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
4,937 topic views. 9 members, 39 guests and 107 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.