Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Cutlerly and Chef's Knives
    #13181407 -

I don't really see my female room mate sticking around after the lease ends in January (her boyfriend lives down the street and I don't see him letting her move in with him) and she currently owns all of the cutlery and silverware in the house. Her set of knives are actually pretty shitty, but since I'll have to buy some when she moves out, I might as well spend a little bit more and get something that'll last me a few decades.

Can any of you folks recommend a solid and durable knife set for a reasonable price?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Brennus]
    #13188710 -

A Japanese chef's knife in VG-10 steel :heart:

Its not in any way reasonable in price (about $75-150 for one) but it will last all your life and beyond if properly cared for.

It can be made razor sharp if you wish it, holds its edge a long time, yet is not particularly brittle.

Its what the pros use.

Its better to own very few good knives than a whole block of crap knives.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

:nyan: LGBT - Love God Before Tradition :nyan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Brennus]
    #13188820 -

I would love a fine quality Japanese blade.

Henckels and Wüsthof produce some fine quality knives (though also a lot of lesser quality knives so shop diligently!).
I've had my Henckels set for eight years with nary a problem - they're great.



Your housemate is very kind!  I remember when I first got my Henckels Professional S series set.  I was attending
UC Santa Cruz and living with some school mates in a house down by the beach.  Each morning, noon or night when
I would make food, I would lug my block into the kitchen and after I was done and had gently cleaned and dried my
cutlery, would lug it all back into my bedroom for safe keeping!



Probably a little over protective, but I didn't want these things to be sitting dirty in the sink or getting swung around
and chipped after having spent nearly $400 on the set!


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: geokills]
    #13189603 -

So basically you should be looking for high carbon stainless steel.  Ceramic knives are trendy right now, and look cool on cooking shows, but aren't durable enough for professional use.  Avoid serrated knives that claim they never need to be sharpened.  The only serrated knife you should have is a bread knife. 

Chef's knife
paring knife
boning knife
bread knife

are the important ones for most people.  Kitchen shears are a must also.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: chef [Re: Brennus]
    #13189694 -

x

Edited by shaos (04/09/11 03:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Brennus]
    #13189767 -

Definitely not Cutco.  The really high Rockwell rated Japanese knives are great for certain things, but they are indeed brittle and can/will break while doing certain other things.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: caphillkid]
    #13190077 -

caphillkid said:
So basically you should be looking for high carbon stainless steel.  [...] Avoid serrated knives that claim they never need to be sharpened. 





Good advice, and a groovy lookin' cutlery collection! :biggrin::thumbup:
Your paring knife however looks like its taken a few beatings!:gethigh:


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: geokills]
    #13190113 -

Ten years old or so, been through a lot...a lot.  I could probably replace them, but I keep them sharp and they work just fine.  They are German, made by Mercer Tool.  Nothing fancy, just solid knives.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: caphillkid]
    #13192161 -

mercer tool makes an excellent knife, I'm partial to a 10" lamson  chef's
knife (not lamson sharp/goodnow), I never buy a set, I buy individual
pieces because I use each knife differently and all the handles being the
same can make peeling 40lbs of fruit a real bitch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13192201 -

Good point on the knife set.  I decided to go with a set because it was my first time buying knives.  At that point, I was only beginning to explore the culinary world, and now that I've spent the last 8 years feeding myself with mostly home prepared food, I'd bet that I'll shop for individually purposed knives in the future rather than shelling out for a complete set.  Nevertheless, for those who are relatively new to cooking and may not have experience with a lot of blades, some kind of set is nice to have available for the learning experience it affords the owner.

If nothing else, a good quality chef's knife and paring knife are a bare minimum requirement for any home cook.


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: geokills]
    #13192270 -

I sometimes have some big meals to prepare, smoking  a dozen pork butts,
prepping 35lbs of potato salad to feed an army... sometimes it's emergency
services, sometimes it's literally the army, comfort is very important

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13193054 -

Quote:
prepping 35lbs of potato salad to feed an army...




You have an army? :omgz:


Good advice on the handles. I too buy separate pieces rather than a set.


--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
personal empowerment for the world

:nyan: LGBT - Love God Before Tradition :nyan:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Asante]
    #13195181 -

a few times a year I take part in feeding a few hundred people


several times a year I feed a couple dozen

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13196464 -

I like kershaw shun cutlery, I have a few of their elite something knives, with the paku wood handles. For me balance is a huge deal, how the knife holds in your hand, and the edge. One thing I like about wustof knives, is they are really easy to get a nice edge on them, but it takes some work. With japanese steel, it seems like they always have a bloody brilliant edge on them, they sometimes get sloppy but a quick slapping of the steel, and they are money. So I guess its a trade off, but I certainly love the feel of shuns latest knives. If you work in the industry, having a good knife is everything, having to use your knife basically all day for 8-10 hours, you need somethign that you are comfortable with and doesnt let you down. But if you are using it just for your home, you can be far more liberal with your choices. I always like to feel my knives before I buy them so I've always been reluctant to purchase such things on the internet. I have a shitload of chefs knives at my house, and other knives, filet/clevers/steak, ... etc, my dad loves sharpening things, so everything basically always has a ridiculous edge on them. But its easy to get a collection going, honestly one of my favorite all purpose knives at my house is a chicago cutlery, real old with a nice hardwood handle with full tang, has a beautiful sharpness to it, and feel. good deal  :boobs:




--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: snoot]
    #13198042 -

Good knives are going to cost you, but if you take care of them, they will last you a lifetime.  I prefer Japanese Steel, such as the Shun knives pictured above.  They have a lifetime warranty and Shun will sharpen them free of charge (though it takes about a month to get them back).  With VG-10 (or SG2) blades, you need to be very careful to clean them immediately after cutting anything acidic or you will pit the blade.

One final bit of advice... if you pay for decent knives, get a good wooden knife block to store them in.  Leaving decent knives laying in a drawer will destroy them.  Also, make sure you have a nice hardwood cutting board.  Good knives will destroy plastic cutting boards and anything else will damage the knife.  Also, even if they are dishwasher safe, always hand wash.

As others have said, you only really need four knives:
Chef's knife (I prefer a Santoku Bocho)
Paring knife
Boning knife (I'm vegetarian, and replace this with an Usuba Bocho)
Bread knife


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Seuss]
    #13198767 -

depending on what you cook and how you cook, a cleaver is also important,
I prefer a chinese veggie cleaver, it has lots uses other than chopping

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13204651 -

I suggest for the first timer to go target and get some decent J A Hienkel knives.  They are a great quality and can be a moderate price compared to the rest of the high end knives.  They will last you a long time and they have a full tang so the handle will not break or fall apart.  I have had my hienkels for 5 years now and they are still great and easy to sharpen with a double or triple stone. good luck


--------------------
Everything I say is a work of Fiction and should not be taken seriously

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: chef Jay]
    #13205053 -

chef Jay said:
They will last you a long time and they have a full tang so the handle will not break or fall apart.



they will break, crack and split if they're run through a dishwasher,
always wash by hand, dry and put away and never put good knives in the
sink, in fact never put any knives in the sink, it's asking for trouble

I've had my lamson knife and my cleaver for about 12 years now, both have
wooden handles on a full tang so they're easy to repair if the handle does
wear out or split

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cutlerly and Chef's Knives [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #13206739 -

Yeah I take good care of mine and I have no problems.  Plus putting knives in the sink is just stupid and asking to get cut bad at least with the way mine are sharpened


--------------------
Everything I say is a work of Fiction and should not be taken seriously

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: chef Jay]
    #20265767 -

.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Feminized Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Chef Knives skydog 1,276 8 09/24/07 06:16 PM
by A3eyedfish
* Ceramic Knives daussaulit 3,027 19 12/29/03 01:14 AM
by boO
* Knives!
( 1 2 all )
daussaulit 4,720 37 01/02/05 10:24 PM
by Sammy
* Sharpening a knife, questions zathan 1,388 7 01/25/07 01:05 PM
by agar
* Chef Knife's snoot 1,646 12 06/01/08 08:44 PM
by soochi
* Any Professional Chefs out there?
( 1 2 all )
ChopperDave 5,830 35 01/08/05 11:47 PM
by mecreateme
* knife steel dogwood 784 5 04/24/10 12:03 AM
by snoot
* Japanese style boning knives (honesuki) Tasty_Smurf_House 2,148 13 04/03/08 04:07 PM
by danknugz81

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
4,626 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.